So what is the pop up battery for?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Sharpsburg, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

Just got my first pop up a few weeks ago. I have been busy with roof repair stuff and am now getting arond to other stuff. What is the battery for? I have one in a plastic box on the tongue in front of the propane tank. But it does not appear to be hooked up to anything. I just noticed the plastic container is half filled with water, so I am assuming the battery will need to be replaced if I need it and cant get it to charge. I will be using a generator when I camp at a place that does not have hook ups, so just wondering what it is for and if I need it.

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

The battery is for running the lights, furnace, water pump and any other 12v item in your PU when you are not hooked up to power.

The electric outlets are NOT powered by the battery.

3. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

Thanks, so there should a connector for the battery somewhere?

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Coleman's have a white plug somewhere, the harness plugs in and there are 2 ring terminals to connect to the battery, black to pos, white to neg.

Parts books for various Colemans, might download one for reference.

http://www.wegocamping.com/page/coleman-parts-books-folding-trailers

Maybe this 03 grand tour version, they have bearing size info and lots more
    http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37743407/COLEMAN%20PARTS%20BOOK/2003/2003%20coleman%20grand%20tour.pdf

Page 34 has the harness to connect to the battery.

5. gzank6

gzank6 Member

i'm not sure... i took mine out and haven't missed it one bit.

well i know its for your lights and fridge and furnace if you have all that.
    we have lights.... but why carry a 50lb battery for one light. so we don't.

6. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

@bubkis - Thanks for the info and links.

@gzank6 - I have a fridge and furnace too, so I guess I may need it. But my battery is not 50 pounds. It is a regular car battery (im guessing 15 pounts).

7. surgipat

surgipat New Member

We use a Marine battery (recommended) , so it probably is 50lbs. But we have an electric-lift roof, and we were recently advised to always use it rather than the hand-crank, because it was smoother than hand-cranking on our particular model. We also have the furnace, hot water heater, 3-way fridge, and all the lights. But we've never boondocked. So in all honesty, the battery is just for lowering and raising the very heavy roof.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

You do not want to use a "car" battery. You want to use a deep cycle battery. Most campers that come with a battery come with a Group size 24 battery but a size 27 is much better at only about $10 more and a group 31 is the cat's pajamas but will cost around $125.

9. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

It's so you don't have to run a generator.

Battery is much more quiet! [8D]

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The only thing I use a generator for is to charge the battery.

Most CGs limit generator use to daytime. Sometimes it is 8-8 but ofter it is two or three two-hour periods during the day. They are never allowed at night.

11. ImTravis

ImTravis New Member

Don't have too many things to run off the battery, so I went solar.. If I need air conditioning, I have a generator and portable a/c.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

Does battery run AC, TV, satelite dish receiver, and other higher watt items? Most of my camping will be NASCAR events and generators usually allowed until midnight.

Either way,the battery still seems to have a purpose based on the responses so I will try to get this one charged or buy a new one.

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

No the battery is for DC items. A/C, TV and other things you mentioned are AC (although there are some DC TVs) and high wattage. You would need a generator for those.

14. 1madscot

1madscot Member

Negative on the creature comforts there Sharpsburg. The battery will will do low watts only (heater fan, fridge fan, 12v lights, car stereo if you have one). You'll need either a hook-up or a generator to power the AC, TV and Sat. I'd recommend a larger deep cycle if you buy one. I have a pair of group 31's, and they'll keep the camper warm, the fridge cold and the lights on for a week before I have to recharge.

15. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

Thanks for the info all. I am learning a lot! Now I need to figure out what the propane tank is for! [LOL] Where is that subforum? [LOL]

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Sharpsburg

You will not be running your fridge via a battery unless it is being supplied power from your vehicle's alternator. Since you won't be running the generator 24/7, the fridge will be on propane. If it doesn't cool on propane, clean it. Find a owner's manual for your make/model.

A group 24 or 27 deep cycle marine battery will be plenty, your generator will power your 120v AC stuff and when the generator is not on, the battery can run the lights, water pump and furnace.

You can either rely on the built in converter/charger to charge your battery while connected to the generator or a portable battery charger, you may not need any charging at all for a weekend trip.

Your built in charge may not be the best charger and you may want to get a 3 stage charger for monthly maintenance of your battery. I'd suggest a min of 10A smart charger for one battery. Disconnect the battery from the PU when not in use so the propane/CO detector don't discharge your battery. Charge monthly and soon after returning from camping a race. Buy a volt meter and use it!

Furnace, stove and fridge.

Fridge needs power 24/7, small propane flame provides that.

17. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

Thanks! The guy I bought it from said the fridge was electric. So I assumed the propane was for the stove tops (1 inside and one outside). I need to find a manual and figure this stuff out.

Is this the type of charger that I should get for the Battery? For the price, it looks like a good deal and has a lot of good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-1200A-SpeedCharge-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B000BQSIWK/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1376412945&sr=1-3&keywords=deep+cycle+battery+charger

18. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Many folks here have said they use Schumacher SC-1200A

PU fridges are usually 3 way, 12/120/propane. You get to pick which you'd like to use and when. They need power 24/7 so propane is the right choice if you don't have 120v 24/7, one battery does not hold enough energy to power one for more than a few hours. Good ole coolers work and can be set right next to you lounge chair outside!

They make little if any noise, either by Norcold or Dometic

19. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

Good point re: coolers. I have gotten by on coolers and a tent for decades, so I may not need the tiny little fridge anyway.

20. vanjr

vanjr New Member

So would all agree if you only camp at campground with electric hook-up the battery is not needed? That is how I see it and probably will not replace mine-if I can ever determine that it goes bad:)