So why the Darkside?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by tchlong03, Mar 10, 2014.

1. tchlong03

tchlong03 New Member

What is the reason so many start with a pup then go to the darkside? Medical, up in age, Frustration, Security? Be hard to say for more space, cause the pup always seems mor spacious the a TT. Just curious on this. Cause to make this move a bigger TV would be needed, Visibility gets cut while towing, cost for fuel goes up.

2. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

There are many reasons, dependent on each family's situation. For us, setup/breakdown became too difficult as our autistic DS became more mobile. We needed something easier once we leave home.

Our season has been extended, too. I took DS out by myself for 3 different overnights by myself this winter.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

3. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

Our reasoning for considering switching is that we camp in bear country and get a lot of afternoon thunderstorms where we end up having to cook inside. It would be nice to have hard walls and not have to worry so much about the critters. Otherwise we love the thing and we aren't planning on switching for a while.

4. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Yes, yes and yes... we can't take our Jeep camping and I now drive a pickup truck, there is diminished visibility, and fuel costs are thru the roof!

However for us SPACE was a huge consideration... we went from an 8 foot box Coleman Taos to our 24 foot TT. When we got our Taos our boys were 4 & 6 years old, they could share a bed easily. But towards the end, we had no room in our Taos, there were shoes and clothing all over the floor in the beds. There was very little storage.

With the new TT we are giving up the large tent windows and we miss them... but we gained more space, our set up and break down time is reduced - we used to have to load and unload our camping items for each trip, now most things stay in the TT. We have a bathroom, a kitchen with a oven, refrigerator, and TONS more storage for all of our gear(the boys both have kayaks, bikes, fishing poles etc.).

It has extended our camping season even more. Before the popup we tent camped once or twice a year. with the popup we camped 4-5 times a year... with the TT we are camping March thru November!

We still love popups, but this was the best choice for our family.

5. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I consider it the dark side, some consider it gray. Ultimately, we needed more room. Teen daughters with friends, parents (in their upper 60's - early 70's) that wanted to accompany, at least 1 large (100+ pounds) dog, and all the gear that goes with all that. We now have 3 queen beds, lots of interior space to move around, the on board bath is always handy if getting to the bath house is difficult. And, for me having multiple back surgeries, set up is much easier this way.

As for stated things that are made to seem like drawbacks, I've always had full size trucks (Suburban's, now Silverado). Although you can't really see over the top anymore, I can still see down the sides just fine, so visibility isn't really an issue. If anything, it's actually easier to tow and maneuver than the pups were. Fuel costs, we can debate this all day long but my fuel costs didn't really change significantly, maybe 2 mpg at the most.

All things considered, I can't come up with a reason not to move from a pup to an HTT for someone in my situation. Facilities are better, towing and setup/teardown is actually easier, fuel costs (in my experience) are not drastically different, and with the 233s there is much much much more space.

6. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Grey sider here as well. I have to agree with RockyRoo on just about everything he mentioned. The fuel hit was minimal. Even on a good day, without towing my truck is not great on gas. We went from a 12' pup (2350lbs dry) to a 23' hybrid (4570 lbs dry) with very little change in mileage. I also have 2 teenage girls. They were not teenage when we started in our pup. Now they each have their own bed, and only share if they have a friend come with them. Bathroom, being able to load before you leave, etc.. More benefits than drawbacks, in my opinion.

7. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

We loved our pup the 4 years we had it, but with hubby and I both having a lot of medical issues, It was getting harder and harder for us to set up. So on the last trip while setting up, we both looked at each other and said, "this is our last trip with this pup" and when we got home from our week long camping trip, We put it on the market and sold it 3 days later.

And used that money to upgrade our Tow Vehicle to a new F150 as we didn't want to stress out the old 95 F150. It took us 1 and half years but we just bought our new travel trailer a few weeks ago.

I really wanted a hybrid and had been counting on that. Till we went to buy one and hubby decided he just didnt want to mess with canvas so I gave in as long as it was a small Travel Trailer. So we ended up getting a 19 foot. Its perfect for just the two of us. And the couch lays down and we got a twin air mattress if anyone stays with us.

Now, we have only had it a couple weeks, so haven't had it out yet, But I'm pretty sure, It will be much easier for us in the way of set up work and time.

Sharon

8. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Main reason for us was set up..... both of us are in our late 50s, and availability to tow with our 3500 lb limit Ford Escape. Been looking all winter for a replacement travel trailer. Traded our 07, 12 ft pop up, in on a 2011 17 ft KZ hybrid back in January. Only weighs 250 more pounds than our Westlake pop up did.

9. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

We had out grown our little pup and needed something bigger, so even if we had decided to move up to a larger pup she would still be driving a truck (or a large SUV) since the Taos maxed out the tow capacity of the Jeep.

Like Wendy said a Travel Trailer just fits the needs of our family right now, just like the pup did a few years ago when we got rid of the big tent. Who knows in a few years we might decide to downsize to a pup again or maybe we'll decide we need a motorhome so I can tow the Jeep along with us. [8D]

10. RockyRoo

And so the seed has been planted [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [;)]

your secret is safe with us JeepinDad. We won't tell the mama. [;)]

11. Marblerun22

Marblerun22 New Member

For us it was a little bit of everything. I'm in the military and we move a lot so this will be beneficial come transfer time. Plus my work takes a big chunk of my free time up more and more so a few more amenities will be nice, as well as making things a bit easier too! One thing to note though just because you go to a TT doesn't mean you have lose on gas totally, our TT is only a few hundred pounds more than our old pop up and gas reviews are down the middle not completely lost.

12. jmackeral

jmackeral Happy Camper in Northern MN

We owned our pup for 10 yrs and it served us well. We had 3 boys and camped all summer long for baseball and summer hockey tournaments. But 2 yrs ago FIL offered to sell us his almost brand new 19' TT and we couldn't pass up the deal. The kids were all grown, and the set up is so much easier. We loved our pup, but at this stage in our camping lives the TT works perfectly.

13. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

I wish I could say the same. We traded my Honda Odyssy for the 8.1L Chevrolet Avalanche. It's a good thing that I don't work and generally stay close to home because that truck is thirsty! Hopefully before too much time passes we will get me a nice little Accord or Civic to use as my Grocery Getter.

14. RockyRoo

But think of the groceries you can move with a 8.1! [:O] [:O] [:O] [:O] Ok, seriously, that thing is thirsty with the key in the house, let alone with a trailer behind it. [LOL] [LOL] However, just keep in mind that even though you could have likely pulled your TT with a smaller engine/lighter duty truck, that 8.1 pulls it much much much nicer, so it's worth the extra gas. [;)]

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have yet to move to a TT, DH is finally admitting the pup has been a (mostly) positive change from ground tenting. He still backpacks, so gets his time on the ground. I miss some parts of the ground camping, but both of us enjoy the longer season and furnace.
    However, at almost 60, with a lower back that is officially toast (I'm managing with injections every 3 months, but don't know how long that will suffice), and a bunch of other cranky joints, I realize a TT may be in our future. If that is what it takes to keep camping, that's what we'll do.

16. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We jumped to the darkside in part due to the set up, tear down and then having to open to clean and air out. It was quickly becoming a chore for short trips. Having the TT reduced set up and tear down time considerably. Having the washroom is a huge bonus and clean up is now a breeze where we can clean up at the site or at home. Having a pup was great and so is a TT
    so it is really a preferential choice. Going to the dark side has it good side and not so good side. It takes more room to park, more maintenance, more gas to get there and a bigger TV to pull it. But the benefits, i think are worth it.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Same reason's as above, plus we don't have to set up to let canvas dry..

18. safetylady

safetylady New Member

We are going to the darkside because we have decided to be seasonal campers. We liked both of our pop ups and loved our hybrid but didn't think it would work well with us being seasonal. We are now camper-less while we wait for the arrival of our new camper.

The darkside with just be the next adventure. Think this one will see us to retirement!

19. daveB

daveB Member

my wife and I are just the opposite.in 2005 I talked her into "camping" and we bought A 27 ft used bunkhouse TT (so the grandchildren could come along) and got a permanent site at a local campground. it was real nice just filling up a cooler or two and heading out for a few days or just the weekend.as the GC grew up they lost interest in coming out and we no longer needed the bunkhouse so we downsized to a 29 ft TT with a huge slideout.seeing the same views every year got me wanting to see more.the TT has a GVRW of 9500lbs and my Nissan Frontier wouldn't touch that much weight (6990 lbs dry weight) so I had to look at my options.new TV or a popup.I talked the wife into a used popup so this it going to be very interesting the first few times out.now we can hitch up and go.already have a list of 23 places I want to visit so I can hardly wait.kind of going backwards. I know,long winded

20. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

We've gone both ways. I started out buying a well used popup when I was in high school. We used it for years and had a lot of fun with it. When it finally died, my father, brother, and I went in together on a used class C motorhome. It was fun, but we decided it wasn't the right floorplan for us. At the time, we were mostly doing day trips or one night stays. We went and looked at some of the deluxe new popups with showers and all, but I was out voted and we ended up trading the class C in for a slightly used class A diesel with a nicer floorplan. It was nice, but in the long run it was a real money pit. I'm sure it cost us $500 every time we spent a night in it. After ten years, a tree fell on it and insurance gave us a fair settlement.

My brother and father aren't as interested in a camper any more, so the wife and I bought a well used Scamp fiberglass trailer when our son was still a baby. On our daughter was born, we knew there wasn't room for us any more, so we upgraded to a popup.

There is plenty of room for us now, even though it is a small 8 foot box. Maybe we will want something larger when the kids get older, but we would need something bigger to tow it with, too.