So you get a stock NTU PUP, what are the top 10 mods you'd do?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by SirLancelot, Jan 14, 2012.

1. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

In my case we have a very very very stock '89 Coleman Shanendoah we bought a few months back. We haven't had a chance to use it yet, other than practicing setup in our driveway. My plans:

1) Awning Mod (https://picasaweb.google.com/Brad.recumbentman/AwningMod#)
    2) Voltmeter
    3) Add make-shift rear bumper with PVC tube for storing extra poles and/or entryway outside carpet
    4) Interior shelves over galley (https://picasaweb.google.com/Brad.recumbentman/HangingShelf#)
    5) Bunk-end shelves (End Bunk Shelf for Pop Up Camper)
    6) Backside awning (maybe?) (https://picasaweb.google.com/Brad.recumbentman/BacksideAwning#)
    7) Exterior hanging shelving
    8) Axle-flip
    9) Larger wheels/tires
    10) ?? Suggestions?

recumbentman, seriously, you're a genius... Seriously... :)

2. JBousselot

JBousselot Member

The list you provided is a great start. I still want to do the built-in voltmeter myself, and I want to put in a pure-sine inverter and 12v plugs for car-charger things.

For my 2000 Coleman Utah, the axle flip and radial tires was worth the effort for me because it came with the original 11 year old tires. I got a flip kit from Dexter for about $35, and went with 14" rims and Carslile radials. Measure everything four times. The bigger tires did not fit at all until I flipped the axle.

LED lights inside (warm white) was an awesome upgrade. Got rid of the six hot-to-touch bulbs, cut power consumption significantly. A significant and hopefully one time investment. G4-xWHP30-RAC from www.superbrightleds.com

30W solar panel with charge controller, keeps the battery charged in almost any weather now that I'm LED. The furnace blower is now my biggest power consumer. www.solar-electric.com/solarpanels.html

Brown outdoor carpet square from the depot. I almost forgot to pack it out one trip since it looks like dirt. Keeps a lot of dirt out of the camper too.

120mm 12v auxiliary fan in the 3-way fridge exterior compartment. It helps and I used a 3 speed model with ball bearings sold for computer cases. On low, it draws very little power and is extremely quiet. I want to put a small one inside the fridge too. There are quite a few mod posts here about this. I got my fan at Fry's electronics.

My DW got a journal book with a fake leather cover and clasp. It's our "Captain's Log" for the pup. We put all the details in there, including weather, miles-to-camp, cost per night, campground names, recommendations, friends who joined us, and funny things our kids said. We already look back and laugh.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We bought a new (old stock) Coleman Cobalt at the end of summer, so it was very stock.
    In no particular order of priority:
    1) removed water supply; sink will be removed this winter and a new counter made for that area; we will try to add some extra shelf space on top as part of this fix, or at least a barrier so we stop losing things off the back of the counter
    2) fixing the openings for the drain and water supply will create more shelf storage space in the galley base.
    3) switched out the (3) bulbs for LEDs.
    4) added a 2nd LP tank, and auto switchover set-up
    5) we're planning on adding a divider in the bench storage space on the street-side, to keep the power cord corralled
    6) memory-foam toppers for the beds; we'll probably need to replace the mattresses within a few years, but the foam makes them fine for now
    7) we plan on adding a 12 v outlet, and will get the plug in meter that someone on here mentioned a while back
    8) bought solar panels, since we usually dry-camp (the previous pup did not have a battery, so all the power-related items are new for us)
    9) will probably make a new awning and bunk-end skirts
    10) we're considering a new furnace thermostat, the stock one is difficult to switch

Because the Cobalt already has the higher axle, we don't need to do a flip on it.

We only had it out on 3 trips after we bought it, so we are still experimenting with some of the organization inside - surprising how much more space there is to deal with in the 8' Cobalt than there is in the 6' Palomino (a 1984). We renovated the Palomino 2 winters ago, so had 2 seasons to tweak things. With both pups, there have been a couple of things that seemed like good ideas, but we ended up changing after a trip or 2.

4. ckarotka

ckarotka New Member

My 06 seapine is stock right now. Spring has some plans. Im starting with:
    Led interior lights -done-

Second battery

New counter tops remove stove for outside use

Most important RADIO with outside speakers

Led rope lights at the end of the awning

Volt/amp meter

Digital thermostat-done-

That's the budget for 2012. Going to the next RV show for more ideas.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I put dual batteries wired in parallel on both of my trailers as soon as I got them. Then I got a 1,000-watt Yamaha generator to recharge them. Great way to go for boondocking or dry camping. A full memory foam bed system was essential as well.

As for the awning mod with the poles running at an angle to the side of the trailer, I'd vote NO. I have that on my TrailManor and I dislike it. I have to walk all the way around those slanted poles every time I want to get in or out of the covered area. (They block entry from the sides.) With straight poles running to the ground you can go in and out in any direction with no impediments. That's what I had on my Yuma and I liked it much better. I'd mod the new awning to go to straight poles if I could but this is a fiamma45i awning and the whole system is predicated on the poles being configured to mount on the trailer.

6. PDieter

PDieter Member

7. scorp28

scorp28 Member

I really like that bunk end shelf mod. I agree with UT, I personally prefer the straight down awning poles on a pup.

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

This is some of what I did to my NTM Rockwood over the last 2 summers...

1) fridge fan mod, (I highly recommend this)
    2) 12 volt work light in rear of fridge area so you don't need to hold a flashlight at night to light the fridge
    3) LED bulbs
    4) added a battery and wiring, mine didn't have one at all
    5) wired in LED clock
    6) wired in LED volt meter
    7) wired in 12 volt receptacles
    8) wired in USB jacks to charge cell phones and Mp3's
    9) put screening behind air vents of fridge to keep bugs and bees out
    10) added a breakaway switch for my electric brakes
    11) .......etc.

Theres always something more to play with.

9. Appfan

Appfan New Member

Great ideas - subscribed.

We've got a stock Rockwood that needs a few additional tweaks here and there.

10. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

The first mod I did on my pup was putting in a curb side drain for the water tank. No more crawling under to drain the water.

Wiring in 12V receptacles just inside the door and into the fridge compartment are very useful to connect up the air pump.

Bunk end shelves are easy and a very useful mod.

I'll also vote yes for the awning mod. Especially useful if you have dogs, it keeps them from wrapping their chains around the poles.

I have yet to wire in a voltmeter, but it is on my list of things to do this year.

11. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I intend to do that mod this Spring. No reason why you can't have it work both ways and use either way that works best for that campsite.

The awning attached to the PUP is a good idea for when you're on a concrete pad. I rather walk around the support poles than lug around some concrete flower pots or steel plate. Guy lines are the only way to really provide some decent support to the poles. Not to mention the dog's leash won't be knocking the poles out constantly. [;)]

12. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

The mod for the table swivel is a great idea, as are the LED bulbs which I forgot to list. My reason for doing the awning leg mod is exactly what someone just mentioned: keeping the dog's rope from getting all tangled. Our pup also came with a screenhouse which I haven't even taken out of the bag yet. When/if we use it we'll obviously need to set the awning up with standard configuration...

13. lcprice3

lcprice3 New Member

Why couldn't you use the poles to PUP configuration and then stake the bottom corners of the screen to the ground, without the pole there?

14. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

That might be possible, but honestly I haven't got a clue as I haven't taken it out of the bag yet. I haven't even practiced setting up the awning yet, although I can't imagine it being rocket science.

15. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Indoor portable shower, memory foam mattress topper, Popup Gizmos, hanging shelf, LED replacement lights, refectix panel inserts for windows, 2nd battery, drill attachment to raise/lower roof and tongue, replaced "fun house" mirror with real glass, and placing nonskid strips on step door. Done many more smaller ones.

16. kitphantom

I forgot we plan on the non-skid for the door step - it was dangerously slick in rain and snow. We thought we'd bought the sheet of non-skid to put on it, but we could not find it yesterday.

17. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin New Member

For me (we almost never have hookups):
    1) Battery, if it didn't have one.
    2) warm white LED replacements
    3) step and interior "nightlight" LEDs
    4) Voltmeter panel
    5) 12v outlet
    6) Solar charge controller and 15W panel
    7) WhisperKing water pump (maybe not worth it unless your pump died like ours did, but I love it now)
    8) Memory foam mattress toppers
    9) Hanging storage
    10) Replaced ratchet-down stabilizers with crank-down type (infinitely variable and quick to deploy with an electric drill).

and the BAL leveler (not really a mod, but I do love it so).

18. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

if you cant find the non slip tape at an rv center any skate shop will have it for board tape

19. kitphantom

I've seen that (a friend bought it for better footing for an A-frame or teeter board for dog training). We found step-sized panels at Lowe's; we'd put it on the step stool I use to reach the Thule car top carrier.

20. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

not in any order or level of completion but heres what we have done or will be:
    also: we typically only camp in civilized areas with water and power. if we go remote then we just dont have the convienience of batt power. but thats mainly directed at me if i use it on a hunting/fishing trip. (no women/kids)

1 axle lift/flip
    2 new interior lighting, or add to
    3 foam toppers for old mattresses
    4 ditch "cooler box fridge" and install dorm fridge, also providing more sstorage
    5 remove water tank and install a filter instead, providing better water and more storage, also requires a new faucet
    6 stereo and speakers
    7 ac gutter drain.
    8 lights for backing up to connect at night or to park in CG
    9 interior collapsable shelving etc.
    10 not a mod really: fixed rotted roof, ended up building an entirely new one. added Kool seal, which made a BIG difference in hot sun. made braces, taller roof design for more head clearance and easier to fold up since canvas isnt pushing up as hard.

11? paint job! now i just need to save for the vinyl decals! ($300...OUCH!)