Soft ceiling

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by BlueLives, May 7, 2020.

1. BlueLives

BlueLives New Member

I just purchased a 2008 Fleetwood Utah. The camper looks great except there are some large soft spots on the ceiling. There is an ac unit but the soft spots are not near the ac. They are approximately three feet in front of the ac just above where the screen door is stored. I don’t see any soft spots around the ac. I have read that the ac gasket can cause leaks but could it be somewhere else? What kind of repairs besides the ac gasket should I do?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png
    On some models that have a roof rack channel they can leak there.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Remove the roof entirely and take it inside a garage, workshop, etc where you can turn it upside down and work on it without breaking your back. Yeah, not what you want to hear but a leaking roof doesn't get any better by simply throwing some caulking at it, you gotta remove & replace damaged material inside the roof. :(

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I have an 04 Utah with the infamous alumitite roof. It has roof tracks and under those tracks are two seams which is known to leak. I’m not sure if the 08 has the same problematic roof or not.

5. GreyFox

A 2008 Utah should have a seamless Filon roof.

6. BlueLives

BlueLives New Member

Thank you. Should I remove the strips on the side. Not sure where to start on this. Where do you live I’ll drop it off and pay you. Lol

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. GreyFox

Which highlights the reality that few if any shops would take on a complete roof repair as the cost can easily outstrip any intrinsic value a 12 yr old camper may have. It's for this reason that many shops will refuse work on any trailer more than 10 yrs old, particularly if it's an orphan for which parts are no longer being manufactured, which is the case with your Utah. About the only solution is to do the repair yourself but of course you have to have the interest, tools, and a place to work on the roof, along with friends willing to muscle the roof off and later back on. Search the forums here and you'll find examples of complete roof rebuilds owners have done themselves.

8. BlueLives

BlueLives New Member

If there is anyone on here that has the tools, time, place to help me fix the roof, I would gladly pay for your time. I’m in Columbus Ohio

9. BlueLives

BlueLives New Member

I could take some pics and maybe video send to someone so I could have better idea of what I need to do. I think I could handle the ac gasket and painting the top.

10. GreyFox

You might want to read through this thread describing the repair of a 2007 E2 Filon roof, the same type that's on your 2008 Utah - not an easy task and one that will take a considerable amount of time. Unfortunately, proper roof repair isn't a simple matter of just painting the roof. :(

AMC likes this.
  11. BlueLives

BlueLives New Member

I’m certainly no expert but from what I’ve read on this forum it depends on where the leak is coming from. Seems like the first step is to figure that out. Second step is to repair the spot that caused the leak. At the same time do something preventative while you are repairing like new caulk etc third step dry out and repair the soft spot in ceiling. The top feels hard from what I could tell. I haven’t gone over the roof yet with all the rain. Gonna try to get in garage if it will fit. So I guess my question is the leak has to come from somewhere. The AC unit, a hole or holes in the roof or from the two raised strips on the edge. If the ceiling is just soft primarily in the middle just under the screen door storage and towards front of camper, wouldn’t that indicate a small hole or crack in the roof. There has been no water damage to anything in the camper. This is why I suggested maybe taking pics and video or FaceTime to show someone.

12. AMC

AMC Member

Hey..my husband says the Filon roof is the one that almost bankrupt Coleman because it ended up being crap. Is that true, because we have a 2007 Fleetwood E3 and are facing a roof rebuild. If it's crap, do we rip it off and replace it with Grizzly Grip or something similar?

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

. That would be the ABS roof he is thinking of, but sadly they have a history of bad roofs. After the ABS they replaced it with an alumitite roof Nick named the aluma-leak roof. The ABS roof honestly would have been a pretty good idea if they executed it better and used better materials. Sadly though they build these campers quickly and with cheap material and I think take the easy way out of manufacturing.

AMC and Orchid like this.
  14. AMC

AMC Member

Oh OK!! That's a relief...sort of. Like you said they really don't put quality first in these roofs. I assume I have the Filon since it's a 2007 Fleetwood Evolution series.

15. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

AMC likes this.