Soft Dormer support poles

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Lost in Space, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

On my 2019 Expedition I just noticed that the poles that are used to support the roof of the soft dormers aren't mounted to the frame very well. These are the inside the camper poles that are pivoted up and wedge against a metal plate on the underside of the dormer roof to stiffen the dormer assembly. They work great at what they do. They pivot up and down on a bracket attached to the aluminum extrusion on the roof that frames the dormer. Anyway, that bracket that they mount to is only held to the frame by a single self tapping countersunk wood screw that screws through the aluminum frame. Really poorly engineered and built. Laughable actually. All four are loose and will eventually strip out I'm sure. I am thinking of installing Rivnuts and using a screw to anchor these. Wondering before I do this if anyone else has dealt with this and what they did to fix the potential problem?

2. Lost in Space

Well I bought a nutserter tool and some stainless 1/4-20 nutserts to do this job. The tool doesn't fit in the space available to work in so had to do it the hard way. Bolt and nut washer combo to squeeze the nutserter. One worked fine, soft bolt busted off in the second one. Had to drill it out, get a stainless bolt (much harder strength wise) and try again. PITA but worth it. The original setup would eventually wallow out the hole and strip out of the frame. Now they are as solid as a rock.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. jadmt

jadmt Member

I have camped in my 2019 ranger 12 33 nights so far and never had an issue with them. Not like they can really go anywhere.

4. Lost in Space

I just don't like things that are designed in a half assed manner, which is certainly the case with how these poles are attached. I knew I could make a huge improvement with not too much effort, so I did. Makes me happy and that's a good enough reason for me!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    HappyTraveler likes this.