Soft dormers ... do they shed water okay?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Mswalleye, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Mswalleye

Mswalleye New Member

Hello.. hope to buy an aliner soon-tommorrow. I was not really keen on dormers but see a unit (Ranger 12) that is nearby (17 hrs) and it has the soft dormers. I seen a pic or two on here and I really like how they open up the space and not close you in so much. I am not a fan of AC so these might suit me better. I have not even seen an aliner, other than driving by and pics. I was wondering ..... does water get in the cracks going down the highway? are they waterproofed well as in deflecting water? do the latches that hold the dormer down lock? what keeps water from getting in at the hinge when erected? How much heavier is the roof when lifting? Any other pros and cons besides ... hear the neighbors more, loss of heat, cross breeze?? thanks for your feedback.

2. Jim Whitehouse

Jim Whitehouse New Member

Val.jpg We got our new 2018 ALiner Classic in May and have spent 40 days, 25000 km in Val. We special ordered with no AC. Why go camping if you feel you need AC. Besides we are former tenters/backpackers. Chose the soft dormers for 1) More head room. Wife is 5 ft and would bump her head if not careful. 2) More light. Windows are bigger than the hard dormers and the canvass allows more light through. 3) Better air flow. Windows and screens similar to a popup, they zip all the way open on the ends and the large dormer on the front also has 2 side screens. yes there is a bit of heat loss with the canvass, warmer than a tent. Have driven in rain, no water issues at 100 km/hr. Did have a little seepage while set up in a driving rain., no more than 2 oz. Val is perfect for us. Small enough to not want to be inside but big enough if wet weather forces you inside.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Just saw the Ranger 12 at the Hershey RV show this past Saturday, very nice looking camper. ALiners are very well constructed and I have yet to see a bad review. Jim made some points in the post above I hadn’t thought of, mainly, more light, makes sense.

I don’t think you could go wrong selecting the Ranger 12

6B5AB59A-9A0E-4245-8E8C-853E8ECEBC3D.jpeg
    9FDA3F53-CAAC-4DA6-AE28-7FE0C2D6D7B8.jpeg
    16DEC540-9C96-483A-A569-D0CA5BAB1324.jpeg

4. Mswalleye

Mswalleye New Member

That is the exact same one I am looking at. Thanks for the info guys .. I am emailing my info right now. But ... I posted another question about taking possession without checking function of everything. tks again..