Solar Blankets on roof?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by ehcarmen, Jun 4, 2009.

1. ehcarmen

ehcarmen New Member

Has anyone ever thought about using the solar blankets on the roof of the pup? I use them, and love them, one the bunk ends, but thought about finding a way to use them on the roof as well. I just bought an old apache that has the ABS roof, and I know it will get hot, so, looking for ways to help. Two of the covers from REI would about cover the whole roof, and I feel like it would be a helpful mod.....

Thoughts?

2. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

When you say solar blankets, do you mean something to relect heat?If for reflection of heat, they should not touch the PU anywhere, you need a air barrier, if a relective heat barrier is touching, it will conduct heat into your PUP.

3. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

I never worried about the roof. It's a sandwich of aluminum skin with white paint, foam insulation and thin board. I don't think the solar blanket would add much and dcj is right - especially with ABS - lack of air flow could damage the roof.

4. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly Terra Alta, West Virginia

Agree, I don't think it would make any difference on the roof.