Solar Charge Controller Load Output

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Is anyone using their Solar Charge Controller's Load Output option?

I have a Renogy controller and was thinking of running a line from the Load Output to a powerport/USB plugs. The Renogy has the ability to turn on/off the Load Output from the app, so I can do that whenever. Thoughts?

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
I think it will work for your purpose. Check the docs and make sure it's not on a timer. IIRC most load outputs have an lvd set to 11.8.

Abe Froman

Jun 22, 2018
I use the load output on our EPEVER Tracer MPPT charge controller for the camper power. We primarily boondock and run on battery power. Using the load output will disconnect the battery if it gets too low in order to protect it. I can monitor real time current draw and total watt hours I have consumed. I can connect/disconnect it via Bluetooth which lets me shut down the camper entirely.

Last edited:

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I have a Renogy controller and was thinking of running a line from the Load Output to a powerport/USB plugs.
I attempted to run some lights via USB and off chance my phone charger but it didn’t work for me. I kind of expected the phone wouldn’t work and perhaps it was the type of lights I tried. Or it could have been user error or the controller itself. I never bothered to research further. I’m kind of curious your responses though.

Coreym95

Jun 6, 2020
I use the load output on our EPEVER Tracer MPPT charge controller for the camper power. We primarily boondock and run on battery power. Using the load output will disconnect the battery if it gets too low in order to protect it. I can monitor real time current draw and total watt hours I have consumed. I can connect/disconnect it via Bluetooth which lets me shut down the camper entirely.
How do you have this wired?

Abe Froman

Jun 22, 2018
How do you have this wired?
Here is the diagram of the solar install I did last year. I used two relays controlled by the presence of AC power (when plugged in) to manage whether the battery and load are fed through the solar charge controller or the power distribution center.
I swapped out the OEM Winco power distribution center for a Progressive Dynamics PD4135KW2BV so that it could charge a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery in the future. I have been running 2 duracell 6V lead acid in series that will hold up for 3.5 days in cold weather using the furnace (the blower is a huge power drain ~35w), but will be upgrading to a single SOK 12v that is 206ah. It is approximately half the weight, twice the usable capacity, faster charge times, and a much longer life-time than lead acid - but all that comes at 5x the price!

Attachments

• CamperSolarIntegration.jpg
    CamperSolarIntegration.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts