Solar controller question

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by gladecreekwy, Aug 15, 2019.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

my bro in law just got an Airstream TT. Solar is installed. Met up with him for a shake out trip to a local CG. Soon realized that the batteries were not charging. It has a Renogy Adventurer controller. When I checked it it says E 0 1. Looks like some kind of error message. Did some research online and discovered that there are two models the Adventurer and the Adventurer Li. Both are identical on their face. I’m thinking it’s a bad controller or it’s not the Li. ( he does have Li batteries) Anyone our there with similar equipment?

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

gladecreekwy likes this.
  3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I'm running my Battle Born LiFP on my old Renogy Adventurer with the charge profile set to GEL and the remote temperature sensor disconnected, as per instructions from BB. A couple of months now with no problems. The BMS on your battery may have gone into protection mode if the charge voltage exceeded the maximum safe voltage, about 14.6 on my bat. You'll need to verify with the battery tech support, but first make sure you have the charge profile on the controller set right.

I only recently became aware of the Li upgrade for the Adventurer and will probably be upgrading my controller in the near future.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Did you get the issues resolved?

5. gladecreekwy

Yes he did. The dealer did not put Li batteries in the TT as my brother requested Don’t know if it was some kind of misunderstanding or what. My brother and him are debating that. So he has AGM gel batteries. The controller was not set for that type of batteries and erred out. So long story short the batteries ran below 9v that the controller needs to run. Seems fixed. He charged the batteries and the solar is keeping it charged. Thx.

6. gladecreekwy

Don’t know if the batteries are permanently damaged so far so good.

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Probably not if he was able to get them recharged fairly quickly.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Since my batteries are the heart of my operation I am constantly watching their DC VOLTAGE reading with my inexpensive multimeter or inside battery monitor panel... Like to see 12.5-6VDC when I make the measurements...

If I see this dropping to around 12.0VDC tells me I am approaching the 50% charge state... Something needs attention now...

I also like to see the DC VOLTAGE jump up to 13.6VDC or higher when I hookup to shore power or 2KW Generator in the bed of my truck... This tells me my batteries are connected to the 12VDC Charge system - No fuses blown or bad connections etc...

Just a normal thing that I do all the time keeping track of my batteries status...

Sure don't like to get off-road somewhere which is most of the time where we are and have my batteries not doing what they are suppose to be doing... Don't like things going dark on us around 9PM at night haha - That's no fun at all... Even being off-road you sometimes are not allowed to run your generator until 8AM the next morning...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]