Solar Eclipse, 8 April 2024

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Econ, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024/

I have been to 2 total solar eclipses and will attend all totals in north, central and northern south America til they plant me. A 95% eclipse does not begin to compare to a total.

The plan is to set up a base camp then 24 hours out decide the percentages on the weather. Base camp will probably be in Tx or Ark. The plan is to visit the base camp possibilities in the next 2 years.

Will chase it as far as Ohio if weather dictates.

Are you aware of camping sites with a good overhead view? It appears that totality is about 1:50 PM CDT in TX so I am guessing 2 hours before and after so a good view from noon to 4 PM. The middle of the totality band is preferred.

If you are in Tx/Ark what is your weather usually like in April?

As this thing gets closer there will be interest in setting up secondary sites in Mo, Ind,Ohio.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

And I can't even plan a week ahead.

Camper054, tfischer and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Its on our to-do list. This time I would like to be on a hill or mountain top and watch the shadow move across the countryside. We observed the 2018 eclipse in Oregon - great experience.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

We watched 8-2017 at 4,500'-- 500' from the TN/NC line. Dead center of the totality band.

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

@Econ , April 8 weather here (Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma borders region: ArkLaTex) will be anything from beautiful blue-sky spring day to tornadoes. Temperatures will usually be wonderful warm camping weather; could be shorts/t-shirts and sweaters early in the morning. The sky will be coin toss based on what fronts are moving through. Typically a lot of cloudy skies and rain in April.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

For the people like me that are lazy and don't want to click links:
    [​IMG]

JiffyPopJunkie and Overland like this.
  7. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

A total eclipse is definitely an event to be experienced, nothing quite like it. We were in the 'totality' band for the last one, it just quickly got dark, a deep twilight, all the birds shut up & it got eerily quiet....definitely a 'must see' at least once in a person's life.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Overland likes this.
  8. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. It's typical southern weather for April. This will be my first spring total eclipse. The problem with guessing the weather 3 days out is no reservations.

9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I made extensive plans to attend the last total eclipse. We were camped at St. Joe Missouri, the planned epicenter of the eclipse. Just as the shadow of the moon touched the solar disk, clouds completely blocked out the sun until the end of the eclipse. It was a total bust for us. I am still pissed about it.

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We did the 8/2017 one and somewhat randomly picked Columbia, MO. My sister lives in Branson and we were down there for a few days prior. The weather was looking poor for that day and we considered scrapping plans and finding a different site at the last minute but nothing was looking more promising within reasonable driving distance so we stuck with Columbia. Luck was very much with us as it was a perfect day for it, right up until a bit after totality ended, and then clouds covered the sun.

It was every bit as amazing of an experience as the hype would have it. People say it "gets dark" but that doesn't really describe it. I tell people it was like temporarily being on a different planet... one with a 360-degree sunrise on the horizon. It was dark, but not like night... an eerie, different dark. The birds stopped singing, and the nightime insects started chirping. Then a few minutes later it was back to blazing sun and the world was normal once again.

I will totally do the 2024 one.

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. On the flip side problems about no reservations are unless you find a place to boondock you will be meeting up with no vacancy’s everywhere. I remember the last eclipse every single place on totality was booked solid 6 months out.

12. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

The response to the eclipse in aug 2017 was stronger than expected. I was aware of a motorcycle road that went thru the middle of no where running along a ridge for 50 miles. Surely only motorcyclists know about this. It has pull offs too. I know this road like the back of my hand so I knew exactly where to park. Found a hotel in Chattanooga and drove 120 miles in the dark the next morning. We got there and it was like Woodstock. There were people from NYC sitting next to us who had found the place. It was cloudy but the clouds broke after the first half hour for a perfect cloudless totality. Most left after totality. We stuck it out til the end. Totality was at 2:40. That gave everybody else time to clear out.<GG> By the time we got moving the traffic had cleared out for the first 15 to 20 miles. Stayed at a restaurant in Tellico Plain for 2 hours. We finally got to Chattanooga at 9:30 pm and it was bumper to bumper traffic. Followed a Honda Odyssey with Tex plates through Chattanooga. That's when amazement at the response struck me. Parked on an Interstate 120 miles from the totality band.

So the plan is to find a CG and plan like it is the one. Then watch the weather for 3 days. Then probably camp for a day waiting on the traffic to clear.

13. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Yup. Weather is everything when it comes to an eclipse. But the there is a great reward if you are willing to take the risk. And yes, you better get your reservations early.

Being a casual astronomy nut since I was a kid, and having the viewing of a total eclipse on my bucket list, the DW and I drove 475 miles to Sabetha, KS for the 2017 eclipse. We stayed at a campground (Sycamore Springs - now closed) just outside of town. A friend of mine and his wife flew his small Cessna down from the Twin Cities to meet us and stay the night before the eclipse. For months before the eclipse, my friend thought I was crazy and couldn't figure out why anyone would go out of their way to see a total eclipse. The day before the eclipse, I was able to convince him to head our way. But he was still skeptical.

It was cloudless and hot for the four days prior to the day of the eclipse, but it was cloudy all morning on eclipse day. We drove a quarter mile up a hill just outside of the campground to the top of a hill that had the highest elevation in the county. We had a full 360 degree view of the farmland around us. Everyone from the campground was there. We would get glimpses of the partial eclipse through intermittent breaks in the clouds. It didn't look good for the total eclipse. One couple from Oklahoma left in disgust because they said there was no way the clouds would allow us to see anything.

But wouldn't ya know, a minute before the total eclipse, the clouds parted like Moses was parting the Red Sea and we all got a full view of the eclipse. There were dozens of audible gasps coming from all around us and kids squealing with delight at the sight of the diamond ring effect at the moment just before the total eclipse. The view on top of the hill was spectacular. It was truly amazing. My skeptical friend turned to me and said this was one of the most amazing events he had ever witnessed.

The clouds stayed parted for the entire total eclipse. Farm lights turned on, birds got quiet, cow started mooing and everyone on the hill was stunned by the view of the 360 degree sunset. It was over all too quickly. When the sun came back out, the clouds again covered the sun. No one said a word because there really were no words that could adequately describe what we all witnessed.

Later that day, I drove my friend back to his airplane waiting for him at the Sebetha Municipal Airport. Before he and his wife hopped on the plane, he turned to me, thanked me profusely for talking him into flying down and said he would never again think I was "crazy" when I would talk about my bucket list events.

Worth it?? Damn straight it was worth it!!

Overland and kcsa75 like this.
  14. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That's interesting... I found the opposite: that it was overhyped. We were driving up from my sister's place in Branson to Columbia MO. The news was predicting unprecedented traffic and gridlock throughout the state. The trip should normally take less than 3 1/2 hours. My brother was paranoid and made us leave Branson by 4AM, predicting a trip that was possibly twice as long and worried that we might not find a place to view.

Turns out traffic, at least at that hour, was no worse than normal. We got there before they had the park open even. We drove in with a handful of people and set up in a vacant field. Now by the time the totality hit around noon it was booming, but we could have come much much later.

Ironically the traffic out was fine leaving the site, up until we got to I35 through Iowa. We were driving back to Minneapolis and were in stopped traffic at several points, hundreds of miles from the totality zone. Most of the license plates around us said "Minnsota" so I'm sure this was all Twin Cities traffic coming back from various eclipse viewing sites. Very strange.

15. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Good thing is I can almost just step out my front door and see totality

Tom Jordan likes this.
  16. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

August 2017, from Mahleur NF , Oregon

Attached Files:

17. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

My college roommate flew in from Maine and we camped in a pasture near Atchison, KS. We had clouds too, but it was still cool when it got dark.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We camped along the path of the last eclipse at LBL at the Canal Campground. I bought the solar Glasses and a camera filter about one year ahead of time. It was like 12 pairs for $5 and the filter was like $12 About We camped about 10 miles form the point of the longest duration. We had a blast.

Planning to camp for the 2024 one along its path.

vagov likes this.
  19. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Good excuse to head into the North Maine Woods..

20. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

The last one passed directly over our town. Doesn’t usually rain that time of year and with the summer crowds we had tens of thousands in the area.

kcsa75 likes this.