Solar Eclipse, 8 April 2024

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Econ, Dec 22, 2019.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We were dead center for the 2017 total eclipse. Traffic took hours to clear per Facebook.

2. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

I am also one of those crazy people planning for 2024 as well. I'm hoping to get reservations west of Austin in the Lake Buchanan area. I am leaning towards the Canyon of the Eagles since they have an observatory which is a nice bonus. Perhaps a little kayaking and fishing too.

I would also appreciate any forum comments from locals near or adjacent to the path of totality as to the chances for clear skies in April.

John Day Painted Hills Overlook (near Mitchell, OR)
    Our eclipse experience in 2017 was nothing short of amazing. We could see this immense dark area (the shadow) heading towards us from the West visibly growing in size as you watched. It reminded me of the darkest thunderstorm I had ever seen. It also seemed like the moon took forever to completely block the sun. The progressively dimmer orange ball was instantly replaced with a bright white glowing ring. Right around the edge of the moon the red spots called Bailey's Beads were very prominent. The best part was you could actually see the corona around the sun. The corona looked like wispy white clouds - given the size and distance - it must have been millions of miles in diameter. You could also see Jupiter and several other bright stars. Everything had a supernatural stillness or other world feel to it along with the temperature dropping. At 10 in the morning it went from the mid 90's to low 70's just before the eclipse started.

Just as the eclipse started it seemed that everyone drew in their collective breath for about 10 seconds and then everyone exploded! It sounded like the entire valley was erupting with screams and shouts like it was a rock concert. The "show" was only slightly over two minutes but I now understand why people chase eclipses all over the world. It is simply an epic once-in-a-lifetime event.

Note - be sure to buy solar eclipse glasses from reputable sources - eye safety is no trifling matter.

3. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Ever seen an Aliner close up???<GG>

bheff likes this.
  4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Unfiltered in preparation for totality. The last before the Diamond Ring. The First Diamond ring is on a video that lasts til the second Diamond ring.

The Skyway, TN/NC state line. Unicoi Gap

Taken with a kit lens. I have "L" lens for this next time

upload_2019-12-24_16-38-37.jpeg

5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Lol if I had land or even a place for you park I would gladly have you, sadly I live in a very coveted neighborhood. But were are 4 years away still. Things may change by then lol.

6. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I'm planning on getting to that one. I'll be retired by then, and my general plan is to find and reserve a campsite in southwest Texas for a couple of days prior to the eclipse and a day or two after. I'll take a couple of days to get there form California, set up for the eclipse, and then make my way back to CA over a couple of weeks exploring Texas, NM, and AZ.
    Prior to that, in October 2023, there's going to be an annular eclipse ("Ring of Fire") that will cross the Northwest. I'm going to head to northern Nevada for the eclipse, and then explore ID, WA, and OR after that one.

Econ likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dam it , now i need to go somewhere foe this.

Econ likes this.
  8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

If you go to the NASA site it give you an interactive map including the amount of total eclipse. NASA map

9. Sjm9911

Yea, i was thinking about it during the last one. Now , might go to niagra falls or lake george. Should be a lot warmer with the TT and its not an overly long ride. So , i will wait and see. Not sure how much snow is up in the area around april. We will wait and see.

10. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Holy Crap, I didn't even realize Niagra Falls was in the path.

Hmm... That's gonna be a tough one to book, but the views should be good.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

well heck, Texas has no public land on the eclipse track, and darned near none at all - due to it having a unique history. So any camping will be in a paid campground (or ranchers field).

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Maybe back up to 4mile creek state park. Looks like Buffalo is dead smack in the middle of the eclipse path.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Looking closer at the eclipse path, Especially the NASA map Looks like I have several options well in driving distance from me. I would be game for a gathering anywhere. From Ohio to NY. WOW. Siked .... planning 4 years in advance

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

I know right. Scary! But has to be fun! Eclipse party! ( isn't this how horror movies start out, lol)

15. gruss

gruss Active Member

My house is in the totality range for this one so no planning for me. Maumee Bay state park in Ohio should have good views.

vagov likes this.
  16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. So... you inviting us all over or what? ;)

vagov and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. gruss

gruss Active Member

I'll have to think about it....only have a 15 amp circuit in the backyard and it's pretty hairy getting a camper back there!

I would however recommend Maumee Bay (which is about 7 miles from my house as the crow flies) as a good spot to book! Much nicer than my backyard and if there is interest I can pop in to help with local area stuff and/or maybe even hang out there just for fun! I've been thinking about booking a site for it just because...if nothing else I could donate it if someone really wanted it.

For those with more creature comforts in mind, the Stony Ridge KOA is about the same distance south from where I am...probably still in the totality range. I've never camped there but our neighbors love it that have a large motorhome.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We are lucky, eclipse track goes right over Dallas so we don't really need to go anywhere. We might make a day trip to get more centered though.

19. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

[replied in error - deleted]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  20. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

While Dallas will be within the path of the partial eclipse (penumbra) please don’t confuse that with the ability to see the total eclipse (umbra). You have to be within that narrow path of totality to see all of the effects that make this such an epic event.

https://www.eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/statemap.html