Sold!!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by inthedirt, Jul 17, 2020.

1. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Well, the decision was made and the ad created. I sold my Jayco Baja 10Y last night. Here's the backstory.......

We left for vacation a week ago today after spending several days getting everything prep'd and loaded. All the prep work was really beginning to annoy me:
    1. Pull the Pup out of the shop and park in the driveway.
    2. Pop it open and unload all the totes and misc gear that normally lives on the floor when stored.
    3. Sweep/wipe everything down and then do the same for all the gear that was just removed.
    4. Load coolers, clothes, and gear back into the Pup.
    5. Close up, hitch up, and drive away.
    6. Repeat 2-5 once at the campsite.
    7. And do it all over again once we get home.
    I don't know about you, but as I get older, I want to do more camping and less packing/unpacking. Since the Baja 10Y is the toyhauler model with the deck up front, adding the dirtbikes or ATV adds even more prep. Well, after last night, I no longer have this problem. We got home from vacation on Tuesday evening and I spent Wednesday cleaning everything and enough was enough. I posted pics on Facebook Marketplace and had it sold 24hrs later for $1000 more than I paid for it. Took the time to show it to a couple families, going over the setup/takedown rituals. It left my driveway last night and my fam asked how I felt about it. My response? "Time to look for a real toyhauler....."

2. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

We are having the same feelings about our Aliner. It’s getting old...having to set up all the stuff and pack away during each camping trip while our friends have less to set up their travel trailer. Plus we want more interior space.

Good luck finding your toy hauler.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The darkside called us last year and we haven't looked back since. It's really nice to be able to leave pretty much everything in its place after the trip. It's also nice to be able to back into a spot, drop the stabilizers, hook up the water hose, plug it in and be ready to camp. It's also nice to be able to just open the door to load, unload, clean, etc instead of having to pop it up. Glad you got a good price for the popup. Good luck in your search for a new camper.

Twinmum, DiamondGirl and Rik Peery like this.
  4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Good deal dude! Sold our pop up a few years ago to the 1st dude that looked at it, & had previously sold our house in 3 days; didn't make any extra $$$$$$$, but I list stuff in order to un azz the item or evacuate the AO...my next & final experiment will be a Casita or similar, but I'll always keep a tent in case I come home & the locks have been changed...

5. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Good for you dirt man ! I saw the review of your vacation to the dunes on the other forum. I'm confident you will find something to make more memories like that happen. I know you still want to get out in the boondocks and a new toy hauler might make that more of a challenge, but I think the compromise will be worth it. We have some great memories of camping in our pup, but buying a travel trailer really made our camping explode. Hopefully you find the same. Please post us some pics of whatever you end up buying.

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that if I get rid of the camper, I will stay at mountain side condos or cabins. We are busy and camp twice a summer. Before I had children my wife and I would occasionally stay in nice luxury condos in the mountains. We would go out and do all the same outdoor things during the day but have an awesome condo with a hot tub at night. We had good times, still could have a fire and grill, cruised around in our 1973 Corvette with side pipes. If you don't use your camper much it is cheaper to stay in a rental.

craiglepaige and Rik Peery like this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We are in the same boat. Pup is my toy - DW doesn't care for the amount of effort that goes in to setting it up, packing, in packing, etc. We both agree that a TT or even a hybrid would get us out as a family. However, the reality of it is we just don't camp enough to justify the cost. I would be looking at a $12-20k used TT most likely - that money would pay for an awful lot of hotel rooms. She doesn't get as much vacation as I do, which further limits our availability. I am afraid that we are just going to forego the dream of a TT, and I will keep the pup for as long as I am able to, and just go out on my own a couple times a year. She can have a girls weekend with her friends and I can go somewhere different/new, visit some new car/flight museums, attend airshows and the like.

The one thing I am seriously looking into though would be a small toy hauler. I am trying to get back into motorcycling again, and I think it would be nice to haul my bike and a camper somewhere, set up for the weekend and go explore. Trying to decide if I want to go that route or just get a cheap enclosed utility trailer and haul a tent/cot and portable A/C for the weekend. Cheaper for sure - I can get a box trailer for $1k these days.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've been considering this since June. I am not bothered by the effort put into camping with it, I actually enjoy it.

I'm only worried about hurting my back since being diagnosed with osteoporosis. I break ribs all the time. I just haven't had the heart to go clean it out good and list it.

Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Agreed, hard as hay to give up a part of your life; for some odd reason, I've always felt that if I'm not suffering to a degree, I'm not doing it right...

Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  10. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I tow with a Ford Excursion and not a truck, so having a toyhauler model is essential as I rarely camp without toys. In the past, my HOAs prevented having anything of decent size in the neighborhood and my family/vehicles were smaller, so a Pup just made more sense. I now own 5ac of paradise in Montana, have 5 garages and a 40x60ft shop to store the toys in. I'm 6'3 and my boys are already my size, so having extra room will be nice.

We don't camp that often, but when we do, being comfortable while boondocking is essential. I don't do campgrounds unless its a reunion with tons of family involved. I'm also looking at buying some property near our favorite lake and building a garage to store our ski boat year-round. The property will be built up as a park with plenty of grass, covered picnic tables, a firepit and BBQ station. We'll enjoy it during the summers and winters (snowmobiling) with my 7-on/7-off schedule, and rent it out when I'm working. I'll let others make my mortgage payments! Ya, I think a toyhauler is in order......

11. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I am with you...would have done that myself this yr if i knew with corona i would be able to camp.
    So now i am waiting till spring
    With inventory being low i will just order one first of year if nobody has one.
    That packing up and unpacking and crap on floor is for the younger guys and gals.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think I am one of the few here who skipped the popup completely because of these reasons. While my FnR is technically a popup, I have far less setup and takedown than other popups. But camping in my clipper is the easiest thing ever - I don't even have to hitch up. Just get in and drive off.

If all the work is getting to you, look at other ways to reduce it even with a travel trailer. I've seen folks spend several hours setting up an entire outdoor home including decor for a weekend trip. Try going simple - a couple chairs and a side table for drinks, etc. and maybe an awning or easy up if there is no tree shade. Skip the rest. Make the outdoors your decor.

13. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

When camping with other families, I'm the one they always go to because I carry all that and the kitchen sink. I HATE not having what I need, when I need it. So, I guess I need a bigger trailer to hold my crap. But seriously, my wife has been wanting to go dark for some time now because the sound of the tent flapping in the night keeps her awake. When we lived in Idaho and camped in 100F summers, the Pup was great because it was so airy. My part of Montana doesn't have the same weather. I've had it snow on me in August and going dark is just my ticket to extending the camping season.

firepit likes this.
  14. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I have what i take thinned down as much as possible.
    Some things you just got to have.
    So you have 2 choices...throw them on pop up floor or load it all in the truck.
    Either way you moving things around multiple times.
    Not to mention tearing down or setting up in the rain.

15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Congratulations and good hunting for that TT toy hauler. Once the kids are out or we physically can't setup the PUP we may go dark or likely hybrid. We looked at some TTs and they just didn't fit our camping needs. Needed to sleep at least 6 preferably 8, that's going to be a rather larger TT. Our favorite place to camp is in the mountains and finding sites for large TTs is more difficult. The PUP gave us the sleeping room while allowing us the maneuvering easy of a small camper. I fully understand the pack, unpack, setup, break down thing. That was a major factor in our decision to get the PUP, while it takes time it's still way faster than packing for tent camping and being the PUP stays stocked during camping season (almost all year) we rarely get to the campsite and discover we forgot something. I am constantly on the lookout for a Trailmanor though!

jmkay1 likes this.
  16. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Yeah I feel the pain of having to pack, unpack, repack ad nauseum. I am a packrat so the pup is full, but I’ve figured out that all of the pre trip and post trip packing/unpacking isn’t all that necessary. Here’s my routine. I have 5 totes of various sizes stored on the floor of the camper, cooking box, dishes and utensils, campfire box, utilities box, setup box. They are loaded is a specific order with first needed, the set up box, closest to the door.

Notice there’s no food, clothes or linen in these boxes. Those get stowed and carried outside the camper. Then when I get ready to head out, I don’t need to popup or get to anything inside to get ready. The pre camp routine is to check the linens and stock the food box and coolers. Those are carried in the truck on the way along with clothes and 12v freezer.

The breaking camp routine is to first clean the camper, lysol wipes are handy for this. Sweep and wipe the floor down then pack up the boxes in the right order. Finally after hitching up the camper stow the last box and head out. When we get home, I don’t need to get to anything in the camper so I can just back it into the garage. Linens are washed and stored back in the linen box, food box and coolers are emptied and aired out and stored ready for the next trip.

I found this saves a ton of aggravation and sweat not having to unpack and repack multiple times when going camping. If I need to dry the camper out at home, I just set it up and let it dry, but don’t have to unload.

Granted this system isn’t turn key camping, but it does cut down on the effort.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    jmkay1, Jack Sprat and Sotovoce like this.
  17. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you got spoiled in that rental unit! Lol [:)C] Good luck with your search and be sure to keep us posted!

BillyMc likes this.
  18. Mike Up

Mike Up Member

I did just the opposite. I went from a 29' bunkhouse travel trailer to the Rockwood Premier 2716g (14' box) pop up.

I got sick of all the work involved with the TT.

Taking 30 minutes to get it leveled on the sloped sites in the state parks.

Then dragging out the heavy hitch system from the shed and taking the time to put all the hitch system together. When back from the trip, then taking the hitch apart on the road, so I can jack knife the 29' TT in my narrow driveway from the narrow road. Then carry the heavy hitch across the yard to the shed.

Then dealing with wind on the road, being blown around as a 1 unit rig since I had an excellent hitch with sway control. Did I mention the lousy fuel economy, high yearly maintenance costs, and high insurance costs. The pop up costs are essentially nothing. I felt like I had a second home I was paying for and maintaining and I was only getting 3 or 4 trips in per year for all the expenses it was requiring.

Also I don't have to use truck stops anymore to get gas. My truck and pop up fit in most smaller gas stations.

Now looking for a different house with enough property to have a home for a 29' bunkhouse gets very expensive.

It was just a headache and it felt like our lives evolved around the travel trailer. We felt obligated to use it since there's so much money invested in it all the way around. I don't feel like that now with the pop up. Now it's just an accessory to use if we have the time for it.

That's why we don't have the travel trailer anymore.

1380ken and BillyMc like this.
  19. Mike Up

Mike Up Member

BTW, all the outside furniture you use will still have to be packed and unpacked unless you have a large travel trailer where you have the room and payload to store a lot of heavy and large items.

I don't prepack the pop up before a trip. It wastes to much time. I may throw food in the outside accessible storage compartment but that's no different than the TT. I use a cooler for food as it saves a lot of time. Most things I pack in the truck, I would pack in there regardless. Now more stuff is packed in the truck since I don't have the room to pack it in the pop up.

I honestly can't see how people tow pop ups with small SUVs. I need a large crew cab full size pickup for my family, dog, cooler, portable waste storage tanks since state parks don't have sewer hook ups, fishing gear, tent chairs and tables, propane bottles and fire starters, screen house, welcome mud mat, of course my tools in the truck as well.

I guess if I didn't bring much and used the campground bathhouse/bathrooms exclusively I wouldn't need much.

However, I need a full size truck for pulling a TT or Pop Up, just for the room alone.

BillyMc likes this.
  20. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Our PUP has permanent supplies that stay in the PUP. Non-perishable food is stocked through out the season. Fridge turned on two days before leaving and packed the night before. I do wish I didn't have to raise the roof a touch to open the the bottom half of the door. Unlatch the roof and raise one crank to close the fridge and let it back down 5 minutes at the most. The night before raise it one crank again and crawl in. DW and boys hand me the stuff to pack the fridge and everyone's bags lower and latch roof 15 minutes tops.
    We really like our PUP and the way it tows can't be beat, but we also realize that at some point we will probably not be able to do the PUP routine. There are a lot of styles of "camping" and equipment and campgrounds to cover them. I got a little angry went I discovered Margaritaville campgrounds, but our camper wasn't allowed. Later I was like that's okay, it's somewhere for those huge MH and 5thers to go freeing up room where we camp. I fully support people getting the equipment that suits their style of camping. My brother complains that one of his favorite SPs only has a few sites and wishes they would add more because it's hard to get a site. I said if they put in more site you wouldn't like it like you do now.

neighbormike likes this.