SOLO CAMPING

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by roybraddy, Jun 29, 2019.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Does the front go all the way up. I noticed in all the photos in your link they show them in this position...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

2. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

No, they are imitating the old VW camper van style.

3. hq308

hq308 Active Member

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Wow really? I would be creeped out if there were homeless people living in the woods where we camped.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

^^ I missed that earlier... that would ruin my camping experience! It's too bad if they're truly in need, but far too many just taking advantage of people.

6. roybraddy

It was rare back when I was really doing this on a regular basis... You used to never run across anyone out in the Natl Forest Service Roads... Now there are people walking everywhere it seems... I don't know if they are living in the Natl Forest or just hiking it... This is the George Washington Natl Forest I am referring too out behind Harrisonburg VA to the West Virginia wooded border state line...

It is abit scary... Especially when you are by yourself... I'm not one to carry a loaded weapon on me but do have the long range Bear Spray type canister that you see all of the Ranger carry manf by UDAP I think it is...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Would not go out in the woods without one...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. roybraddy

Thanks for the two or three interesting video's... I did get one of my questions answered. It seemed like a really long extension of the Roof Tent to where the ladder is setup at... I was thinking that should have been reinforced more but after seeing it operation all looks great...

It was also neat to see how the roof tent folded up for travel mode... That was nice...

It also brought out some of the things others on here were bringing up about wind noise haha... That one camper dude said he didn't get much sleep overnight due to the wind noise...

I noticed this dude was carrying a firearm all the time... I'm pretty sure he had a camera person along with him...

Thanks for the video links...

Also good to hear mention of good ol Jimmy Dean Skillet Package... I mix that into a lot of off-grid meals...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  8. roybraddy

This was a good run for me for camping solo... Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments...

I should be hitting the off -road grid pretty soon here. Almost all done with my new battery bank... Its working great on my work bench...

Roy ken
    [​IMG]

neighbormike likes this.
  9. hq308

hq308 Active Member

He sets his camera up on a tripod, 99% of his trips are solo. I'm not sure what the deal is with the firearm, he likes to do the odd bit of target practice and talks about "bugging out". I watch him to see the places he goes to, he searches and finds a lot of cool old abandoned homesteads, mines etc.

10. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

If I spent a lot of time solo-camping, I'd likely convert my Excursion into an overlanding rig with a mini fridge, single bed, cassette toilet, a diesel cab heater, and primitive kitchen. There's plenty of real estate on the roof for solar panels plus set of j-hooks for a kayak. Then, I'd have my dirtbike strapped to the hitch for some trail explorations and life would be grand.

Of course, the Excursion isn't the friendliest on fuel and I have no idea how long I'll keep it. Since most people don't have one of these and use a truck, you could pretty much do the same to the models with the 8ft bed and canopy/shell. Not sure how insulated they are, but I've seen some pretty impressive truck bed camping setups. Seems a much cheaper alternative to the RTTs without the worry of something licking your face unexpectedly.........unless you're into that sort of thing!

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Ford Excursions are awesome.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

If I was going to have to climb up into an RTT, I would just buy a 4wd truck and truck camper. Nicer accommodations and can go most anywhere. And you can drop the camper and take the truck out for the day.

13. Blackripley

Be careful and check the local laws and park rules, I was told at one campsite that may be considered a weapon and is not allowed in the park. A park known to have bears in it at that.

14. roybraddy

Thanks for the comment... I will check-in with the Rangers where I usually go... They usually end up at my off-grid camp site and have coffee when I am there... They can't see me from the road but my ham radio squeaks and squawks give me away hehe...

I also have a WASP SPRAY 'WEAPON' inside my door along with a big ax handle as well... hehe... If they say that's a weapon and not allowed then I will start carrying my firearm I guess that I have a carry permit for in Virginia... I think most states allow you to have weapons inside your trailer as it is considered a homestead... Same goes with drinking beer haha... Inside OK but not out on the patio at a lot of places now... So sit your beer inside the door and reach in to take a sip every now and then I reckon... It's been a couple of year's since I have done any solo camping due to my batteries going away on me - who knows what the rules are now but I am one to follow the rules whatever they are indeed...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

neighbormike likes this.
  15. Blackripley

I'm in California where many, many things are considered weapons. We still had our bear spray with us, just not out in the open. Discreetly in reach at all times, camping or hiking.
    My guess is that odds are anywhere in the south your setup would not be an issue. It is always good to ask. On the other hand, if you venture to Maryland, DC, or north on the coast of them I would check with the locals.

16. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

We are headed to Yellowstone TOMORROW and will have bear spray with us. They encourage it.

Blackripley likes this.
  17. neighbormike

@tfischer hope you have an awesome trip!

18. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Thanks! The long drive scares me (never towed that far before) but really looking forward to the trip.

19. neighbormike

Do a good pre-trip inspection and you should be ok... looking forward to pics!