SOLO HITCH...um??

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by landon6062, Jun 18, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I picked up a new toy yesterday..

It would be a long story to tell, but I may be traveling alone from time to time..(hubby works a lot)

SO after my "first" experience of trying to Line my vehicle up with the tow hitch, that didn't go well and I have no back up camera (that is an expensive investment)

I am going to try this "Reese SOlO Hitch"

Anybody tried one of these yet, before I take it out of the package?

2. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Oops didn't provide the picture.. lol

20180618_073914.jpg

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Practice make perfect, you will have it all down to a T in know time. It seems like the most stressful time during the camping trip is backing the camper into site and hooking up ready to leave. Have seen and herd some pretty harsh words and yelling going on during that process. My wife after 3 years is getting better with the hand signals. Have fun!

4. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I've always had to solo hitch. The backup camera on my current pickup makes it a lot easier, but before that I got pretty good at lining it up after some practice without any visual aids. Just take your time until you get the hang of it. Once you get it hooked up, spend a bit of time in your vehicle studying the trailer position in your mirrors and remember that for the next time. Also, hitch up square, not at an angle. That helps.

JPBar likes this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

No experience, but I will be curious how it works out for you.

When I hook up alone, I use my rear view mirrors to get the TV centered as I'm backing up. I get as close as I feel comfortable, then get out and check how close or far I am from the trailer. At that point I open door and use a rock or some other point on the ground as a reference point to use while closing the gap.

This isn't the most efficient way to get under the hitch -- it might take one or two more looks -- but it works for me. [:)C]

rich2 likes this.
  6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Just to let you know.. "This is the wife.. and I MAY do some SOLO CAMPING" with my pet and BEAR SPRAY.. lol (can't forget the bear spray)

DBACK...

Yeah I kinda thought that just using a "erasable magic marker" on my window and camper would might would serve the same purpose, but then again.. You would have to be able to see it.... LOL

I put the PUP up by myself, but "lining up the hitch" has got me a bit confused at the moment. ( I ended up having to call my son to help)

I have to move it again today.. so I thought I would practice with this "Solo hitch" and see how that goes.. but then again.. I wonder.??. IS it wise to become "Dependent" on this as my back up plan.. hum.. am I setting myself up here for a disaster. waiting to happen.. lol
    It certainly would end up being a MUST HAVE in the LIST of CAMPER supplies..

7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I'll let you know.. going to be trying it today... :)

Just trying to make things easier for myself and I truly want this to be a GOOD experience for my hubby..(who just isn't certain about this idea of camping, very apprehensive about it all.... I've worked on him for 10 years now, and I do intend to make it a wonderful experience for him)

I keep hearing that the "husband wife team" has, let's just say, a few problems during this time of communication... So I'm just trying to make it as EASY and fun as possible..

8. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

We try to be on the road by 9:00 am when we leave to go to the camp ground which is about 5-6 hours away. My wife made a funny remark "how did you already get 4000 steps in on your Fit Bit, oh I forgot you hooked up the camper by yourself". We laughed and made other jokes about my steps on my Fit Bit it all the way to the camp ground, made the drive seem a lot less shorter.

hayyward and landon6062 like this.
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have used one for a long time as I usually hook up solo. It works great. Cheapest place to but a set is HF. Trick is to make sure the 2 balls are the same height just prior to contact.
    Good Luck and Happy camping

xxxapache and landon6062 like this.
  10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

LOL now that is funny... "FIT BIT"..

I can see how it could become very frustrating and could make for some Uncomfortable first few hours of heading to a camp ground.... (at least in my life)>>> I don't like DRAMA and seek to avoid it as much as possible..

I am looking for QUIET, PEACE and RELAXATION...in my camping trips..

Though my son and I did well together, backing it to the hitch. it was PURE LUCK, I think..

JPBar likes this.
  11. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Most of the time it is better to be lucky than good, learned this on the golf course many years ago.

kcsa75 and landon6062 like this.
  12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Good to know.. hopefully.. I will look like a pro at this in a week or two.. LOL

I got ours at LOWES for 19.99. not sure if that is a good price, but they do sell them : )

13. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I humor myself.. "NAIVE maybe LOL"

LIKE: I Think I can watch a YOUTUBE video and I can do anything then..!!! TO just find out later.. Oh they skipped this step...:shocked:

I would hate to tell you the outcome of me fixing the ROOF LEAK on our home and what the INSURANCE adjuster had to say about that.. LOL :eek:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  14. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Literally, I think the only time that my partner and I have ever raised our voices to each other is when I tried to be "helpful" when it comes to hitching up. That lasted about 5 trips. Now he does it himself while I busy myself with other things. :)

I am a huge fan of doing whatever works when it comes to these things, but I think nothing is better than practice.

I have no doubt, Donna, that you'll find what works for you (with these balls or not) and be a pro in no time.

landon6062 likes this.
  15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I always use a set of the HF variety when hitching my TT by myself.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I use the yellow balls when I hitch solo, as well as an iBall Camera. At under $200, that was a handy investment. Even though our current TV has a backup camera, the iBall is still handy at times, since it can provide a different angle of view - it's magnetic, so you can put it where the angle of view is the best. We've occasionally used it to back into dicey campsites too, with the camera on the camper bumper.

17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

ok thank you.. I am a pretty determine little lady.. Yes practice is being applied.... LOL hopefully I can get to a place where I am comfortable doing it alone if I have to..

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I found them more useless then helpful.. I actually do better by setting something on the rear cover which lines up with the hitch center, then line that up with the middle letter on the trailers front cap..

hayyward likes this.
  19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't always use the yellow balls and iBall camera these days, but I learned my lesson on my first solo trip with a TV that had a backup camera. It was an arc-shaped site, and with the angle of approach that created, plus light issues (sun and reflection of the backup lights in the diamond plate on the camper), I could barely see the coupler. (I also painted the nose of the coupler white after that trip, so there's contrast with the rest of the black a-frame.)

20. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

I usually hitch up the PUP by myself. The DW works from home and since I'm self employed, I'll head home early, get everything ready so when she logs off from work we pretty much head straight out. Most of the time I just put the back seats down and open the rear hatch on the SUV and I'm able to see enough to get very close. I may have to jump out a couple times to fine tune it but the extra exercise doesn't hurt since I'll be sitting and driving for a couple hours anyways. With the small PUP we have now I just need to get it close and I can move the tongue to where it needs to be.

rich2 likes this.