Solution for crappy folding door

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ColoradoBart, Jul 25, 2018.

1. ColoradoBart

ColoradoBart New Member

I like our pop up camper, but I hate the door. A poor design overall in several aspects.

It constantly falls down while traveling because it slips off the two small ceiling clips. It has occasionally torn the mattress below when it fell. It has also bent the hinged metal plate that attaches the top of the door to the wall of the camper. I actually had to replace the whole door last year after we bought it (used) and that cost me about $250. Not cool.

I had already made it standard practice to wrap a bungee cord around the door and frame while traveling, in order to at least keep it all intact if it falls, because when the frame separates from the door it can damage the flimsy frame sections very quickly.

But I still wanted something to keep it from falling in the first place. I searched various forums and never found any good solutions. All I found was people saying "don't drill into your ceiling" because it wouldn't support any weight and it might lead to water damage.

I eventually found a solution with some "pop rivets" and some overhead loops, which seems to be working well, and I'm hoping that by posting this here, someone else with the same dilemma can possibly find a similar solution. Here's a quick video explaining what I did:

Wilkywoods and megcabra like this.
  2. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Mine has two straps, one one either side of the door, with snaps on them. They snap to the door when it is in the up position.

3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Very nice of you to share a solution for those that need it...: ) good idea

I have the same thing as Bowman, straps and snaps, that hold the door up. That is working "so far"...