SOLVED Placement of brake controller for electric brakes

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Anthony Hitchings, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

for a Primus IQ controller, bought via Amazon

The Jeep Liberty, 2008, has very poor knee room. As of now I cannot seem to find any reasonable location for the controller where its in the right position, not in our knees, and I can see/operate the thing. Its very frustrating.

I already moved the OBDC plug sideways to make room for one knee-banging location.

If y'all have any good ideas, let here them.

One option is to use a different brand of controller with different ergonomics/mounting.

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

To review: It needs to be square with the direction of travel but can be rotated 90 degrees up. Also, it's basically a set it and forget it deal so having it in constant sight isn't that important. Can you fit it into your center console?

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want a controller in my console. I want it within reach in case I need to manually apply the brakes to stop sway.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I have mine just to the right of the steering wheel. My knee doesn't go over that far and I can reach it. Each vehicle has its own challenge.

5. Anthony Hitchings

needless to say, after posting my problem, and going back to the vehicle - it occurred to me to simply move it up a lot higher, to an area that seemed less likely but works in practice. Too bad about all the other holes in the dash from prior attempts :-(

At least now I can get back to the wiring. Or I may abandon work for today as the garage is heating up, and does not have AC.

6. dabsond

dabsond Member

2011 Jeep Liberty owner here. Just so you know, my brake wire from rear 7 pin trailer connector was a red wire under the dash. I hear they may have changed the wiring harness a few times, different colors mentioned. The brake light wire from the pedal was the green and white striped wire.

7. Anthony Hitchings

my jeep had no tow package so I recently installed a MOPAR electrical harness front to back, it had a blue wire for the brake (I removed my Curt electrical harness , it was only a 4-way connector)

dabsond likes this.
  8. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

So, wanting to change my time-delay controller to a Primus IQ or similar, but I have limited leg room in my Nissan Frontier, similar to @Anthony Hitchings . Will the Primus IQ function correctly even when close to 90 deg. from horizontal? Picture shows my current time-delay that my uncalibrated eyeball puts at about 50 deg. from horizontal.

Attached Files:

9. Anthony Hitchings

according to the instructions, yes , it will function up to 90 degrees

Tom Jordan likes this.
  10. Anthony Hitchings

so NOT solved - its a terrible location based on our recent trip. Back to the drawing board.

11. Anthony Hitchings

This:

Attached Files: