Solving the "Dual Tank Auto Change Over w/HP Regulator" Problem

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by kenquagliana, May 5, 2020.

1. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

I expected the answer from Rego - from a safety and compliance standpoint, there is no way they would suggest anything other than the way the product was tested.
    Would the Rego option be cleaner? Yes.
    Have I ever had an issue with a tank running out and losing the use of my HP stove? No - not even on a week long trip.

Spridle likes this.
  2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

In the good ole days Coleman used a 15 psi reg to feed the Coleman propane stove, it also feed a low pressure regulator for inside, code has changed requiring 2 stage reg with the first being 10 psi then 11". When Fleetwood stoped using Coleman propane stoves for outside then went with 16 psi for the HP stove

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  3. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

http://www.regoproducts.com/lpgproductpdfs/7525b.pdf

That's the valve in question. 15 psi at the first port. I also like the fact that it says it will pull gas from both in cold weather. Not sure how they pull that off, but I've been caught out in cold weather where the furnace would not start with just the one tank feeding it.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

should work well

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  5. Spridle

I don't see a check valve helping your cause. You need to just abandon that bypass or get a manual valve in there. The advantage to abandoning the bypass is it would reduce the number of fittings substantially.

Or play with that Rago valve we just linked.

6. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Spridle, Your outside stove needs that 16psi HP regulator to function.

7. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Yes. It's looking that way. Thanks for everyone's input!!

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I know its not helping here, but i just take an extra tank along for the cooking. Easier to refill and less work.

9. Spridle

Everyone just tell him to try that Rego! We need a guinea pig.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. mk4

mk4 Member

Not an auto-changeover, but I'm replacing my dual stage with an adjustable 0-20 psi hp, then a tee to feed hp appliances and the lp regulator. Is this a horribly stupid thing to do?

11. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

I spent my money!!! You need to spend yours!!! I built and installed my bypass with check valves ( at a lower cost). My furnace now works (due to bad LP regulator). I’ll be doing some tests tonight to see if two tanks with differing fill levels equalize with both tank valves open. That will tell the story. I believe if there’s any pressure differential at the check valves, they’ll favor the LP / Supply SIDE and allow the Primary to empty first. Obviously this is a bourbon and beer experiment. I’m still holding out hope. Keep us posted on the Rego solution. I’ll revert tomorrow.
    Ken

12. Spridle

Certainly can work if you have a single state low pressure regulator. Not sure how it will like seeing 16PSI into a normal dual stage regulator though. What are you trying to solve?

13. mk4

mk4 Member

I wanted a hp port in addition to my lp port.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  14. mk4

mk4 Member

[​IMG]

15. Spridle

Do you have dual tanks or single? Regardless, this should work but typically the way the factory did it is to put a T before the regulators. One feed goes to the high pressure regulator, in your case the adjustable, and the other port to a typical dual stage low pressure regulator.

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

High Ken, with nothing operating the pressure in each container is the same based on temperature so both should feed your appliances. During use there may be a slight different temp in each container as one has more liquid than the other and the cooling as the liquid turns into gas may be different. I'm guessing there will not be much difference just using a stove or furnace, as one cylinder cools more and drops pressure the other will take over and vis versa. Have fun with this 'test'.

17. rabird

rabird Howdy!

that's the typical Coleman setup before 2005 or so, a 16 psi reg, tee to outside hp stove, low pressure reg, at some pt they used dual reg to replace the single low pressure reg keeping the hp regulator. For a year or 2 viking used a 30 psi reg at the tank, teed to the outside and dual reg for inside.

propanereg.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  18. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Too bad there isn't a reliable gauge for Propane beside weight, or I'd suggest you put a pressure gauge in.

19. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Rabird,Thanks for your feedback!! That's good info. Test 1: Overnight, both tank valves open, no appliances running - I lost 1lb on the primary / supply side tank. The reserve tank remained unchanged. Maybe it took 1lb to pressurize the LP side from the primary tank. I don't have any leaks in the system (that I'm aware of). Next test: To run the HP stove for an hour and see if all the gas is pulled from the reserve tank as expected by design. Regards, Ken

20. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

......Correction.....Next test: To run the HP stove for an hour and see if gas is pulled from both tanks as expected, and see if they equalize. Regards, Ken