Some basic PUP electrical ?'s

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by MJinCP, Sep 10, 2014.

1. MJinCP

MJinCP New Member

New PUP owner, and sorry, but the owners manual leaves a lot to be desired. Some questions;
    When I have the trailer plugged into 110 shore power, does that charge the 12v trailer battery?
    The household-type outlets in the trailer (and outside), if the trailer is not hooked up to 110 shore power, are non-functioning, correct?
    When the trailer is hooked up to the TV, is the 12v trailer battery being charged? If yes, only when the vehicle's engine is running?

I'm sure I'll think of more, but those are my main ?'s. Thank you!

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Maybe, if your converter has that function and it works properly but it can be a slow process.
    Correct, the household type outlets only work on AC shore power.
    Maybe, if you have a charge line installed that is at least 10 gauge or larger. This should only be done with a running vehicle and it is a small amount of charge. In an emergency you would be better off using jumper cables to connect the batteries with the vehicle running.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from the Toronto [CAN] area..

That depends on the make and model of the converter .. If you can find that info and post it, someone might be able to offer a better answer then "maybe"

Correct ... the outlets need ac power.. Think of them like an extension cord ...

Another maybe type answer... First the trailer and vehicle would need to have a 5,6 or 7 way plug (7 way on the trailer would also be an indication that the trailer has brakes too) ... Next the vehicle would have to be wired to provide the charge line to the plug..

In 90% of the cases YES ... In the other 10% of the cases if the trailer battery is low (and the vehicle is off) it could still try and charge by draining power from the vehicles battery, this is why most people will unplug the trailer from the TV (tow vehicle) if they are stopped for any length of time..

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Certainly for newer PUPs that's true. However, if you're storing/not using the PUP for long periods of time, it would be better to use a 3 or 4 way charger. You might want to read this battery primer. Very informative about maximizing battery life, deep cycle vs. starting batteries, battery size & amp/hrs, etc.

Yes. The converter can only converter 120v to 12v. It is not an inverter providing 120v from 12v. Really wouldn't do much good even if it good. Anything much over 1-2 amps at 120v would draw down the battery down pretty quickly.

True as long as you have a 6 or 7 wire harness for TV and PUP. No if you only have a 4 wire harness. To truly charge the battery, yes vehicle must be running. HOWEVER, even if vehicle isn't running the PUP battery can draw current from your TV if it's depleted. Not a good thing, although you'll likely still be able to start your TV. Important to realize this if you use your PUP frig on 12v electric while towing. The frig is such a large draw that if you leave it on while making a long stop, you may find that your TV battery is so low you can't crank the engine. Good idea to turn off the frig if you're staying more than 45-60 min. Less time if your PUP battery can't hold a full charge.

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Welcome, when asking questions please give detailed information for us to give the correct answers.

Maybe, tell us the brand and model number of the converter.

Correct.

Maybe, your tow vehicle must be wired to accomplish this. It is easy to check. Put a meter on the trailer battery and read voltage, start tow vehicle, did the voltage increase? If the voltage increases it is getting power from the tow vehicle.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

A '97 PU may (might not) have batt charging capability but it probably ain't much of a charger and likely should not be left plugged in for weeks on end.

7. Poorric

Poorric New Member

HELP!!!!!...Hate to jump in and change topic but need help...I'm camping and had a problem with losing my ac outlets...air works fine...lights fine but no ac power outlets...changed gfi...fuses and breaker didn't trip...just no power to outlets...even checked switch under stove on coleman 99 cheyenne...someone thought converter may have lost ac line...worked fine for 3 days...just doesn't seem to have power to outlets??? is there a way to add a breaker box to connect to outlets only...will be camping for another 2 weeks so I really need help figuring this one out...thanks

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

You need to start your own thread.

9. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

@ pooric

Just to make sure, you have power to the Air Conditioner, correct.

If so that is probably on a 20 amp breaker.

Other outlets are on a 15 amp. Can you test at the breaker? If power is there all other outlets run through the gfi. Double check that to see if there is power coming in to it. Then check to see if it is tripped.

And yes this needs to be on a separate thread.

10. Poorric

Poorric New Member

thanks for the quick reply...air does have power...lights are strong...no power to gfi as far as I can see...no meter with me...but no light on new gfi,so I assume ther is no power... [:(O]

11. Poorric

Poorric New Member

Everything was working strong for 3 days but noticed power cooler was off and so was outlets...we have had tons of rain down here...I added a exterior outlet,but it is covered with outdoor outlet cover...

12. Poorric

Poorric New Member

PS...I can't figure this site out to start my own thread and just need a little help thank you...sorry to step on anyones toes...thanks for your feedback

13. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Choose the sub-forum that is most appropriate for your topic You will see a list of subjects. At the top of the list, click the button that says "NEW TOPIC"

Notes:
    - You can't start a new topic from within a thread
    - You have to be logged in

14. Heady

Heady Active Member

Poorric, if you have power at the breaker box (since the AC works) and you don't have a light on the GFCI outlet, then it sounds like the problem is between the breaker and the GFCI outlet. If there are no breaks in the wire between these two, then I would check the terminations on the breaker and the GFCI outlet. If they are good, then most likely it's either the breaker or the outlet. I had to replace a breaker on our Coleman, it just went bad one day.