Some bouncing

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Aaol1, May 22, 2020 at 6:23 PM.

1. Aaol1

Aaol1 New Member

True, also have aftermarket front and rear steel bumpers so I'll crank it up to 40 ish

2. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Never trust the brochure or advertised weight. Load it normally and weigh it, then make adjustments. Brochure weights are generally a lie.

3. Aaol1

Aaol1 New Member

Unfortunately I don't have a way to weigh the tongue or trailer. Maybe trailer I could swing it at a nearby scale but not the tongue, so I gotta guesstimate lol

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

5. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Not for brand. For original load tires. Brand is irrelevant. However, if his say max 50 then they are not these new fangled truck tires.

Regardless, Tire pressure may alleviate the problem, but having been through this I'd say it's in the trailer. After what I've gone through I'd say go straight to a light duty weight distribution hitch if you can fit it on the A frame.

6. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Airing up the tires made a noticeable difference in how our Aliner towed. I put the tires up to max cold sidewall pressure, 44 psi. The sidewalls went from saggy at 32 psi to looking normal at 44 psi. Much less bounce. Then again, we first towed it on 225/70-16 snow tires during February. Towing on the 225/65-17 all-seasons in warmer weather at their normal pressure of 35 psi had less bounce due to less sidewall to bounce on. Fresh bearings and grease helped, since anything that makes the trailer slow will make the tow vehicle jump forward when the wheel goes over a bump.

Spridle likes this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. ^^^this^^^. I have the sister unit to your bayside and found my Actual weights were quite higher than the brochure stated. So weighing the camper is the best way to know where you stand. Then you can determine how much more weight you need to add where. Don’t under estimate how much your gear weighs, I can guarantee it weighs more than you think. Now that I’ve added a bigger battery, two propane tanks a solar panel well I’m almost afraid to see how much my tongue weighs now. My 4 runner has no problems Though.

8. Aaol1

Aaol1 New Member

Yea alright that makes sense, I'll get a feel for it tommorow with more air in truck tires and more weight on tongue, but I'll try to get a weigh in on the tongue at some point!

9. Aaol1

Aaol1 New Member

This is awesome! Great idea I may just try that

10. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

You just need to weigh twice, once with the trailer and once without and that will give you all the numbers you need, including tongue weight. Find a CAT scale and download their app and it’s a simple process. The tongue weight is the difference between sum of the two TV axles when hitched and unhitched. The total trailer weight is the difference between the two total weights of all 3 axles.

Adam H likes this.