Some questions about Hybrids

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Mgsbigdog, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Mgsbigdog

Mgsbigdog New Member

My family is seriously considering a few different hybrids but my wife raised two concerns today that I wanted to check your temperature on.

First is about campground security. Once you are all set up with the ends out and hooked up, if you go out for a hike or go into town with your tow vehicle, do you keep the ends down or do you button back up before you leave? Why?

Second, what about hail or other types of weather. Can the tent ends withstand hail? How much wind is too much wind for the tent ends.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle.
    There is no reason to close the ends while gone, just as in a PUP. I cannot answer about the hail from experience but I would think the canvass ends will withstand hail better than a solid object IE: truck car etc. as it does have some give
    as far as security is concerned I have never had a problem as most people are out for the same reason you would be, to relax and enjoy the outdoors, but if someone is dishonest they can open any item and help themselves opened or closed I feel safer when camping that I do in town..

Raycfe likes this.
  3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

If someone wants to get in your camper they will. I think it’s extremely rare in a campground.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Never had a problem .... ever ....I wouldn't worry.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Security - as the others have said, not a big issue for the most part. If you are at a campground and feel "unsure" about leaving the tent end out while you go hiking, you will not feel comfortable sleeping there. Otherwise, it's no different than tent or RV camping. If you have any expensive gear (cameras, telescopes, and so on), take them with you or put them in the trailer or vehicle out of sight. I rarely lock my camper doors - when I do, it is usually because there are a lot of kids around and they might get curious about the parrot - don't want to come back to camp to any bit fingers, so locking the door is a reminder to the kids that it's not OK to walk in to see the bird.

Weather - should be OK for the most part. Small hail, light winds, etc, won't cause trouble. If you see ALL the tent campers rushing to pack up, then the weather might get bad enough that you'd want to pull in the end for a while. But even tent campers will make through light hail and storms fine.

6. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

Welcome to the group. I hope you enjoy the place. The security question. I've never had an issue in the many years camping. Aside from kids going through our coolers looking for beer, my own included, we've never had anything taken from the campers, tents, or other things we've camped in. The ends stay open. On a side note, camper keys are often the same from camper to camper. My SIL and DD have a different model and make than us and our keys are the same. It's probably across the board. The weather is another issue. Again, I've never had a weather related problem with the camper. We had some things blow away from the wind but no damage to the camper. But I take a weather radio with us and if something comes up, I will close it up.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Probably the bigger danger than weather is tree limbs falling. Seen one tree fall during a light snow, a huge limb fall from a giant oak during a hike, and other good size limbs fall in campgrounds. I like shade, but try not to setup directly under trees.

8. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I have a 2011 StarCraft HTT. Just like with my pup or 5er, I don't leave real valuables inside. In 50 years of camping, I've never had anything stolen. That includes boondocking, state parks and KOA's. The CH751 key is the most popular, I think. It opens the door to my pup, the storage to my HTT and the storage to my 5er. All are different manufacturers. I don't close anything up when leaving the area for a day, but I don't like closing camp anyway. Oklahoma can is well known to have diverse weather, sometimes all in the same day. I really don't want to find out how much wind the tent ends will handle. The weekend of 29-31 March we camped in 50 mph wind with no problems. As far as hail goes, I can only speak about my pup. The roof got many dings, but the canvas was fine. I suspect the HTT would be the same.

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Generally not an issue at campgrounds. IF you do the Walmart thing, or NASCAR races, well that might be different. I have heard of RVs getting broken into during the race, but that is a unique situation and opportunity in the infield.

Every once in a while I will run across someone who had gear stolen from outside - stove/grill, coolers, that sort of thing.

Get out and have fun, the campground dynamic is so different from other areas.