Somebody used silicone on my roof AC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Triplejackinga, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Triplejackinga

Triplejackinga New Member

2008 Fleetwood Niagara. I got it a few months ago.
    I wanted to replace the AC gasket, but took the 4 bolts out inside, and it won't budge.
    Closer inspection seems to show that somebody sealed it on.
    I believe this was probably done when it was originally installed.
    I have the original manual for the RVP 8000 series AC unit, and it doesn't say anything about using sealant.
    Suggestions? IMG_20210221_115027621.jpg

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

No Sealant ...... No Silicone...... The A/C uses a foam type gasket only. It is made not to be solid. Cut all that crap with a sharped putty knife, etc. and remove the A/C unit shroud then the A/C unit. Clean the sealant off the bottom of the A/C and the roof. Find the drains in the A/C pan and clean them well. Water inside the A/C unit will drain out these holes onto the roof so the water doesn't backup into the camper. Install a new factory seal and reinstall the A/C unit. Tighten the 4 bolts until they are just snug plus a little. Thats all that they need to be. After your first trip recheck the bolts again but overtighen them.... the seal is made to have so "spring" to it.

tzmartin, Jwwiff and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Triplejackinga

IMG_20210221_130445859.jpg Yeah, I pretty much gathered it shouldn't have been there. I was dreading trying to get it off.
    I ended up starting I side with a razor knife extended as far as it would go, but I wasn't getting all the way through it.
    Then I grabbed a bread knife from the kitchen, and that did the trick.
    The adhesive side on the bottom of the AC came off fairly clean.
    The gasket on the roof side with the silicone came off too, leaving all the silicone.
    The silicone is still pliable, but I know it shouldn't be there. I wonder why they do this, since it's widely known you're not supposed to?
    Gonna be fun getting it all off the textured roof.
    Should I also remove the old foam leveling blocks? IMG_20210221_130445859.jpg IMG_20210221_125620331_HDR.jpg IMG_20210221_130145036_HDR.jpg IMG_20210221_130209067_HDR.jpg IMG_20210221_130149862_HDR.jpg

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If new ones came with the gasket, as it did with mine, there's no reason not to. If you don't have new blocks to match the gasket I would just leave the old ones.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you’re having problems getting the area clean:
    13F49897-0A7A-48D8-9A34-E61508466D0B.jpeg
    I used this when replacing my roof vent - it worked great! Purchased at my local ACE.

6. Triplejackinga

Gonna try and just scrae as much off as possible.
    One thing is the new Steele gasket says to refer to the AC install manual for how much to tighten it down.
    The install manual just says to tighten down until each of these 4 tabs was even with the roof. They were between the gasket and AC unit.
    Should I use these with the new gasket, or measure? If measure, what thickness is optimum compression? IMG_20210221_153942022.jpg IMG_20210221_154022245_HDR.jpg

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I put the old tabs back on, inserted between the a/c pan and the gasket and used them for my gauge. IIRC most install instructions at the time said to compress the gasket by 50%.

8. Triplejackinga

Well I got it all back together. I got as much silicone off the roof as possible, but with the textured surface, a lot remained.
    Compressed the new gasket down to the tabs.
    It started raining this morning, and will be done by the afternoon, so that'll give me an opportunity to open it up and see if it leaked right away.
    I just don't know why either the factory, or dealerships use this stuff so much, when it's everywhere not to use it.

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a little silicone. I probably would of use some on your gasket.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I would just check the tightness of the screws after or during your first trip.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

12. Mayhem Galore

Mayhem Galore New Member

Nice bread knife.

Triplejackinga likes this.
  13. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time! Diamond Supporting Member

It may be too late since you already installed the ac, but I would recommend removing the sheet metal shroud around the unit and clean the inside of the unit. Especially the plastic drain trays under the coil. Hit the fins with coil cleaner too

14. Triplejackinga

15. Triplejackinga

Good call. I'll do that in the near future.
    One hangup: putting the plastics back on over the thing, I somehow cross-threaded one of the screws holding it on. Now the boss in the sheet metal, so I'll have to cut that one off.