Someone always ruins it for the rest of us!

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Bowman3d, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I usually fill up my tanks at the local city yard. It was super cheap, at one time 89 cents a gallon. Some one stole their adapter for second time so now they won't get a new one. Does anybody know what adapter I need to go from the size that buses use to standard propane tanks. If I can find one cheap enough(theirs cost around 1k)might be worth buying my own.

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

$1k [:O] I think you may be better off going to Tractor Supply and paying $2.50 - depending on how much propane you use, I suppose. The only way I would consider buying something so expensive is if I used it for my home and had to fill regularly.

I understand your frustration, though. Our little gas station out here in the boonies used to have a free air pump. After idiots cut the gauge and adapter off the end of the hose enough times, they refused to replace it. Now they have a fancy, paid air pump, that even takes credit cards. It's like $1.75 for air!

3. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

I completely understand the frustration!
    There must be an adapter available for less than $1K!?

Is this a government facility with $5K Hammers?

A side note on the air for a fee...
    I went thru three different gas stations having to pay for air at 2/3, $2+ each place only to find I could not exceed 35/38lbs at all three places, even though their gauges allowed for 120lbs. I needed 80lbs. At each tire, and eventually, the next day, had to buy an air Compressor. A well deserved tool for my garage and collection, I just wasn't prepared to buy one yet...did so on frustration and impulse.

Luckily my DW has a slow leak in one tire of her CR-V...only saving grace was I brought her tire upto pressure that afternoon, proving not all my decisions are bad...well this one anyway.

4. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

I can see about $50 for the fittings not $1K. Someone either is lying to you about the price or they got robbed blind by who they bought it from. I think if you call Tarrington Tanks in Epping, NH (not sure the number) and tell them what you are looking for, they may be able to help. Your purchasing agent or garage mechanic may have to call to order it. Not sure if they do retail or not.
    The outside threads on the tank valve are ACME and the inside threads are POL or service fitting.

5. Bowman3d

Thank you Sonshine for the info. Now to figure out what size the nozzle is on the pump. I'm thinking forklift. Found some fittings for around $45. More to my liking. I think the 1k figure was just thrown out there to make his point.

6. Bowman3d

After doing more research I need a 1-3/4acme male to a 1-5/6 acme female adapter

7. Bowman3d

Think is found something that will work on eBay for $30. Male pol to male 1-3/4 acme

8. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

That sounds like the right one. Go for it!