Somerset Aliner E3 Galley Issue

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Roger.mccully, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Roger.mccully

Roger.mccully New Member

Has any other owner of the Aliner E3 experienced the galley sink leakage, warpage issues? After the first year of ownership I saw the sink plumbing begin to leak. I discovered the drain that is installed in the plastic basin was mounted incorrectly, I reversed the gasket, added plumbers putty to the inside of the basin and was good for a while. But now the sink is warping due to it being plastic, because of the way it is folded into storage adds pressure from the drain hose. I am thinking of finding a metal or ceramic sink in similar size but then I worry the hose may break as it needs some flexibility during the transition from the up to down position and visa versa. At a loss. Can anyone offer some suggestions, mod kits, or DIY advice?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would place it with a metal sink

Welcome.png

3. capy235co

capy235co Member

As long as the length of the plumbing doesn't change a new sink should not make a difference. I would replace with whatever you like. I f the drain hose is too short change it out at the same time.

4. Roger.mccully

Roger.mccully New Member

Thank you Wayne. Any idea where to find such a small sink? I've looked on the web, Big box stores. If not, I'll keep looking. Thanks again!

5. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

I have a 2015 Somerset E3. I haven't had any leaking issues with the sink, although I have noticed that the plumbing for the drain is at an odd enough angle that the bottom of the sink is tilted a bit. Since these are put together by hand I imagine that it was just a one off process issue with the person assembling your sink.

I'm not sure where you'd find a metal sink that would fit the odd shape and size. It might be something that you could find a metalworking shop to build for you - stainless steel and welded corners, maybe? Is there a model number or manufacture's name under the current sink?

6. Roger.mccully

Roger.mccully New Member

Hey Adrianpglover!
    Curious, if you have the plastic sink also, and you mentioned the sink is tilted a bit, it sounds like your drain that attaches to the gray line (which is threaded) and that it is not leaking or that the basin of the sink has not cracked yet? If so, then I guess I only need to find a way to stop the sink drain from leaking in between the basin and the chrome drain. I was just worried that because of the flexing of the drain and gray line every time I swing the galley up and down, the basin would crack and most plastics would with repeated strain. At least, memory would set in and leave the sink tilted as you say.

7. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

It's a grey plastic sink, rectangle shape except a corner cut off where the faucet head is. The strain from the drain is causing the bottom to be flexed some, but nothing bad. It hasn't caused any damage or leaks since we've had it. Took delivery on it around 10/15/2014 and no issues with it yet. I think they could have done a better job with the plumbing by adding a few more joints in before switching to the flex hose, but it does work. From the chrome tub drain that is threaded it goes to some ABS joints that give you a right angle, then there's a flexible hose that's secured to it, which goes at a bit more of an angle than I'd like out the back bottom of the galley, to connect somewhere near the floor between the furnace and fridge.

As for how brittle the plastics might be, we're outside of Houston and the camper has only seen around 1-2 weeks of actual freezing weather. We garage it. It does see the other end of the thermal range, but not the cold end. If you are somewhere that you think the cold might cause an issue, then it may turn out differently for you. Looking at ours if you have the same setup I would think that a threaded extension of the chromed drain or a few more of the right angle pieces of ABS and you can take the extra strain off of it.

8. Roger.mccully

Roger.mccully New Member

I think you're right. I am in Arizona, and it does freeze during winter but I think if I add some additional fittings and take the strain off, it should be o.k. I have the same set up as yours. I also think they missed a gasket on the top side of the sink so I will look at that also. Thank you kindly!