Somerset E3 Never Buy One!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kbhowe1, Feb 6, 2014.

1. kbhowe1

kbhowe1 New Member

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself and vent a little. I have always looked through the forum here for questions over the years and always liked the good advice.

I purchase a Somerset E3 in Feburary 2013 and it has been in the shop for a total of about 4 months (think I could build one in that time frame) I believe most if not all issue's are quality control. Please note I have owned 2 previous pop up's (including one coleman), and a fifth wheel. All of which had minor small issues, most could always be fixed myself. In this case nothing seems to be done right or with care from the factory. There are too many minor items to list like design flaws, switches placed in the worst locations, small holes in fabric from the factory that was fixed or replaced, small wiring issues, etc..... All of which are good reasons to not like Somerset, but these items are no big deal to me and are expected when purchasing an RV at any price. The major reasons to warn everyone else from buying a Somerset are as follows:

Lift system has never worked properly and will now only lift half way up. Dealer has contacted Somerset and has replaced the power lift but did not help. Somerset is telling the dealer to take the lift apart completely move all the arms around and put everything back together (WTF).

The floor has always flexed and squeeked when walking on it, which I believe the floor was put on when wet. Cannot get the vinal floor to stay glued down around the corners under the seat cushions. Somerset told the dealer to put shims (not screwed down) between the frame and floor to stop the flexing (worked until I drove off the lot).

Everytime it rains the floor gets soaked (I believe it is on the slide out where cheap plastic flexes and creates an opening, everytime i seal it it is broken later because of flexing)

I dont think the dealer is to blame for all the issues, most minor things they could have found or fixed before delivery, but the floor and lift system are my two big problems.

So, before you purchase a Somerset take a look at the quality behind the good looks. I will never buy a Somerset again!!!!!

Anyone want to buy a used E3 :)

2. mandl

mandl Member

I feel very bad for you. It gave me a stomach ache just reading about your problems. Thanks for the report and good luck!

mandl

3. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

That's a shame i would look in to your Lemon Law in your state.

4. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Sorry to hear! Don't give up.

5. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I have a 2008 Fleetwood E3 with none of those problems.. Maybe you should buy a used one

CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM.

2000 Land Rover Discovery, loaded with ARB and ready for the end of the world.
    2008 Fleetwood Evolution E3, loaded and ready for the end of the world.
    1967 Heckaman Manufacturing, "Phoenix" 18FT travel trailer.. Beginning of Mobile Man-Cave process.

6. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

My first thought is to contact your State's Attorney General's Office to find out if this situation is covered by the Lemon Law.

My 2nd thought is that your dealer needs to do a better job of standing behind what they sell. If they're not behind you, I guess you could file a complaint with the BBB.

7. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

This is sad to hear. [:!] I had high hopes of them keeping the spirit of the "Coleman" camper alive. I guess not in these first few years.

8. skiball

skiball New Member

Welcome from Pa. Good luck getting your camper fixed. I feel so bad for you.

9. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know what a "Lemon Law" is!! Sorry to hear it all happened to you. I'm sure you'll find another great camper soon.
    Are you handy at all and have any desire to build a camper?? Could you use the frame and build up? Just a thought. Any parts worth salvaging?

Melissa

10. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Melissa,

Lemon Law's vary from state to state, but the basic concept is that if a new product has an issue and the dealership/manufacturer unsuccessfully attempts X number of times to repair it over X period of time, then they either have to buy it back from you, replace it with a new one, or pay you X amount of money.

For example, I had a 2005 Taurus that came off the lot with bad tires. After several frustrating attempts to get the selling dealership to replace them, as soon as 2 days after delivery, I then took it to a Mercury dealership where the service manager put a set of tires off of a Sable on it and drove it for the day and confirmed it indeed had bad tires. He contacted Ford, who then instructed him to send it back to the selling dealership and let them deal with it. After another failed attempt with them, I then took it to yet another Ford dealership who claimed they put new tires on it. By this time the dash was starting to rattle itself apart, so they "fixed" some issues with that as well. After getting it home I determined that they DIDN'T actually replace the tires because the DOT numbers were the same on the new ones and there were no nipples on the new tires that new tires should have. I then threatened to sue, at which point they finally changed brands of tires so it was obvious they were replaced, and supposedly got a field service engineer involved. Well, after taking it home, vibration was still there. Shortly after this, the "smart junction box" failed, basically an electronic box that handles every electrical circuit in the car. At this point I'd had enough, got a lawyer involved, and took the car to a Dearborn dealership to handle. They took it in, agreed that their field service engineers apparently don't even know how to balance tires, and offered to testify in my case against Ford if it got that far. In the end they ended up paying me $5000 and I traded the Ford for a Chevy the next day after I got the check.

This is what lemon laws are for, unfortunately when corporate politics (incompetence) get you to the point that you need to file that suit they have usually lost a customer for life when if they knew what they were doing they could have saved that customer by quickly resolving the problem for a fraction of the cost that it ended up being.

Hope that helps understand the basic concept of lemon laws. If you push it far enough they have to buy it back from you and label it as a lemon for the next seller. Unfortunately somebody got stuck with my Taurus not knowing that part of the story.

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

good luck on getting your problems corrected , i have a 01 coleman, and my brother has a 07 same camper but under fleetwood name, even though his is newer, quality in mine is slightly better in my opinion,,, i guess a penny saved is a penny earned theroy is standard anymore

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

To the OP, have you ever discussed these issues beyond the dealer level?, such as directly with customer service or warranty dept at Columbia Northwest?

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

14. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I would agree with Old_Geezers suggestion, I have found Rockwoods warranty and service department to be my best friend, even better than the dealer (not that my dealer did anything wrong, they were good too). Definitely try contacting the manufacturer directly if you have not already.

15. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

BigBaron is this what you have been inferring?

16. kbhowe1

kbhowe1 New Member

I have somewhat looked into the NM Lemon Law and have basically come to the conclusion there is none for Travel Trailers let alone Pop-Ups. If it has a motor then yes it would be covered but no motor means no Lemon Law. There is a Federal Law that maybe could be covered but I would spen more money and time than what the Camper is worth. My hopes at this point are to get the camper back in working condition hopefully by the end of Feburary and sell it back to the dealer, I have asked and have not been given a straight answer yet. If I can't do that well I guess I'll just make lemonade. I can be pretty handy and will just have to find a way to keep fixing it when it does break. My biggest concern of course will be to hold the roof up now that I do not have any faith in the lift system.

Thanks all and kitphantom I will look into the links and rallies you sent.

17. kbhowe1

kbhowe1 New Member

Also forgot to mention. I have tried the Manufacture Somerset and have had no response. I have called and left a VM, also sent emails to the two different addresses on their website.

The local dealer has mentioned to me many times that the new Somerset Trailers are not Coleman's and are not even close to quality. Of course the salesperson told me it was the same everything. The Technicians that are working on it and the Warranty guy I am dealing with have all told me not even close. If i had to do it all over again I would have bought a used Coleman or The Jayco Baja series. Because of this I probably wont ever go back to this dealer (to buy one) as well.

18. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

19. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Wow! That is really unfortunate. We could not be more pleased with our 2014 Niagara. We've had a few expected shake-down mends to perform, but it is a trailer after all. They're all cheap from my estimation. I hope your troubles will subside. Our dealer, Southland RV in Atlanta, has been outstanding. I will look for your posts with interest and hope that things will smooth out for you.

20. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Welcome from the great Pacific Northwest. You are not the first person I've encountered who had terrible luck with a Columbia Northwest product.