Sometimes it just the little things ..... why

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Raycfe, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I watched a YouTube video about making a travel trailer and one thing that really bothered me was ........ can't they make a clean hole for wires etc. All you have to do is push a aluminum template against the surface and router it out .... not hack it so it looks like crap.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 1.55.44 PM.png
    To me this is not pride in what you are doing. I guess I'm just a picky old man.

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

A simple hole saw would be better than that crap.

3. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

@Raycfe… I agree. Saw the same video. I have a Kodiak Cub from the same manufacturer. I can see how build errors and sloppy cuts occur because it’s fast paced with building different models quickly. Possibly not enough time to concentrate on what’s being built and how quick the QC review is completed?

DH noticed sloppy cuts in KODI too. He had to replace PEX plumbing under the bathroom sink cause it was cut too short and didn’t fit properly. He also refastened screws and re-nailed panels around the interior & exterior. He added wire ties and loom to loose or visible wiring. DH added insulation to the exposed low drain pipes under the belly of the trailer. Underneath the trailer is covered but the low drain points aren’t. DH wanted to make sure the pipes didn’t freeze when camping in cold weather. KODI is a four season trailer but has some weak points. Good thing DH is handy, mechanical and computer skilled. He took care of it and will continue to maintain KODI.

We’re lucky so far because no BIG issues with KODI but who knows what the original owner encountered before us. Keeping our fingers crossed that we will have the same success as we did with the DiamondGirl (Aliner Classic).

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Nancy Deak and Sweetpea like this.
  4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

My 2019 camper is that way....its all hidden but still i know its there.
    My old 87 was far superior in build qaulity.
    Why do they need to frickin drill a 1 inch hole for a 3/8 line then goop spray foam around it?
    Being mass produced you would think they would have templets for every hole and be more precise.
    I got my new camper home and spent a hour vacumning saw dust and wood shavings under every cabinet.
    Dont even get me started on the drunks who caulk the stuff at 4pm on a friday...1/4 in bead turns into a 1/2 in bead and back to a 1/4 in all the way down the seams
    Piss poor is what it is.
    Piss poor is what it is

Steveo4090, Rik Peery and DiamondGirl like this.
  5. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

"pride in what you're doing" costs money. People want things as cheap as possible.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have an expensive brand of TT. It has rivet stems, aluminum and wooden shavings behind the couch and under the beds from when it was made.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I had a 1990 Jayco that was quite solid and used actual screws. When I was looking to upgrade Immediately looked at another Jayco and was quite disappointed how downhill they went. The more trailers of different manufacturers I looked at the more little things I saw that told me they all went downhill. Pretty sad. Had a Camp neighbor that had a 4 season Lance and it's been in the shop for warranty more then camping. You would have thought for that kind of money they would have done something better.

TheBlurb and DiamondGirl like this.
  8. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The problem is when there isn’t a better built option available at all. I am more than willing to pay twice as much for a better quality

David Blackwell and neighbormike like this.
  9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

How much would it really cost them to do a better job? A thousand dollars? Clean cut holes, wires in plastic looms, etc.

10. tfischer

Most people would rather either save that $1000, or have it go to features that are apparent. The average person doesn't care what the wiring looks like behind the walls, so long as it works.

If I built it myself i'd be right there with you, doing everything right. But honestly I'd rather save the money myself on a pre-fab one, again so long as it actually works.

wusthof likes this.
  11. tfischer

Twice as much? So pups can cost upwards of $20K today... you'd pay $40K for a pop-up camper?

The things mentioned (sloppy wire cutouts, etc) don't even directly indicate bad quality, or at least impending failure...

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. firepit

I would have paid more for a nice even caulking job...no wire strippings laying all over and holes cut precise with minimum gaps and metal deburred.
    Trim fastened to stay and not with tiny staples
    How about a square tubing bumper instead of 1/8 in c channel so i could attach someting to it?

neighbormike and Raycfe like this.
  13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Too bad we couldn't buy a put it together yourself travel trailer. I know I could assemble one. Oh well..... Guess I will just keep buying old ones ....... take them apart ........ and put them back my way.
    My normal change list is floor, lights, plumbing, stabilizers, Tonge electric jack, larger battery, upgrade tires, moving electrical switches/panels, electrical outlets and adding some. Cabinets that are made better and more counter space. Our camper is only a 8' wide 17' long, if I found a 20-21 foot camper I would take everything out even the underbody tanks and reassemble my way. You may think that I am totally nuts ........ but its so much fun doing it. I must be doing something right my old campers sell in a day good money.

14. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Funny that you mentioned this... I went to replace a couple lights shortly after purchasing my trailer... looked like they cut holes with a friggen claw hammer!

firepit likes this.
  15. firepit

I would have no problem buying a clean one owner camper like my first one...but with roof top AC or at least compatible for adding one.
    I miss my old one and its in the family so i have to see it often.
    I am gettin to the age where i want to camp and not be messing with major stuff.
    I know there are older clean ones around but unless one falls in my lap i will be at the mercy of sub par new/newr ones.
    But dreaming never hurt anybody.

DiamondGirl and neighbormike like this.
  16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Don’t worry @firepit - ya get the big stuff dealt with in the first (warranty) year - the rest is maintenance and upgrades - like the a/c silencer! [:D] [LOL]

DiamondGirl, firepit and Raycfe like this.
  17. firepit

[:D]
    Yep...knock on wood..im 3 yrs in and only had to fix a piece of trim.
    But i dont see it going strong 30 yrs from now like my old one.
    With any luck i will have a TT in the next few yrs...not that it wont have its own problems.
    We need to hook up and put a dent in Americas beer surplus.[:D][Guitar]

DiamondGirl and neighbormike like this.
  18. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Sloppy wire cutouts are bad quality, and a direct indication of quality. If wire cut outs are in metal, without a grommet installed, there's very possible impending failure. Sloppy wire cutouts generate more debris than a clean cut hole. The correct tools have to be used. The thing about quality is it has to be designed in from the start. That means everyone has to be on board.

19. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

When we picked up our Jayco X23B from the dealer, the tech gave us a very good intro to it. He ran everything and opened everything. During the intro, I made a mental note of things. After he was done, I asked him to get a vacuum and totally vacuum the entire camper. I saw metal chips, wood shavings and trash. I pointed it out to him and he had no problem vacuuming it. I then went back in to the showroom and talked to my sales person about the issue. While she was understanding, she couldn't really do anything about it but pass it on to the management and hopefully to Jayco. A bit of a disappointment when you spent money and get a unit that needs to be cleaned before you take it home.

BelchFire, Rik Peery and Hilldweller like this.
  20. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Possibly, yes.

people will spend a hell of a lot less on a TT or a 5th wheel.

I don’t have a popup because it’s cheaper, I have one because it’s what I want. I can tow it with the SUV I want to own, I can store it next to my suburban house, I have more window than anything else…. If I had a popup that literally could last a lifetime with normal maintenance and repair, instead of slowly rotting away… yes, I’d pay for it.

Actual quality (or perceived at least) is worth paying for. Where it was built is too. There are a lot of things that I pay more than double for because they are much better than the “budget” option.

I do not expect that my views be the most common - not everyone can or would do that - but in most things, we both have the choice. There are inexpensive options and there are very expensive options. There are tool brands like Festool and Mafell, and there is Harbor Freight.

But there are not enough companies making pop ups for both options to exist. And that’s a shame.