South Carolina - Lake Greenwood State Park

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by locbart5, Sep 8, 2011.

1. locbart5

locbart5 New Member

A full review is posted under the "Campground / Trip Suggestions?" Forum.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Let me update Lake Greenwood State Park for 2020. This is just my experience. We were there Tuesday through Thursday, if it was a weekend, it would have been worse. There is Campground 1 and Campground 2, both with water front sites. Campground 1 has the only full hook up sites, so it draws big local rigs. Along with them comes the boats and trailers, every bodies families and fishing buddies, and their dogs have to come, too. You can't drink beer without a campfire, so there are many campfires. The dog behind us was a soulful yowler and could carry on for half an hour at a time (women and kids were in the camper). A barker was across the road, was tied to a tree, ten feet away from the family and barked at them all the time. Other dogs barked at squirrels, walkers, bicycles, golf carts, cars, and other dogs. We rode our bikes to Campground 2, and it was a lot quieter. I did see one dog there, but as we were riding back to Campground 1, it past us in a golf cart going back to Campground 1. Kids didn't know how to get out of the road, kid on a bike flew out of a campsite to get ahead of us (we were in the Expedition), guy parked his trucks ass in the road (and left, probably fishing) making it hard for rigs to get around the corner (Ranger came to the campsite and he finally moved the truck forward about three feet sometime that night). Having a water front site means people walk across the site, along the lake edge, fishing. They bring their kayaks between the sites, because they didn't get a water front site. The wildlife, mainly squirrels, kept their distance and were no bother. The bath houses were dated, but clean.
    The Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) museum, in the State Park's Visitor's Center was good. The Star Fort, close to the town of Ninety Six, was a good stop.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020