South Dakota

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Plop56pulp, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Plop56pulp

Plop56pulp New Member

Anyone camped near Mount Rushmore in early June? Very excited but looking for tips!!! [PU]

2. gketchup

gketchup Member

We went a few years ago. It wasn't early June. We camped at Horse Thief campground. It was wonderful!! Close to everything, with lots to do in the campground if wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonpost likes this.
  3. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I like the Custer area personally. We have our trip planes for late July. Love it up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mtnbkndude

mtnbkndude Member

Great post. We are thinking of a road trip next summer and want to see Mt Rushmore. Is June a good time to camp in this area? Do the campgrounds fill up?

2002 Coleman Utah
    2012 Toyota Sienna

5. shoman118

shoman118 New Member

We are camping at Custer in early July and made reservations in January I think. I was surprised how many sites were already reserved. I think Custer had a 6 month reservation window, and some first come sites. Also in January we called about doing a trail ride (not in the park) and ended up making a reservation for that as well, as they said they had days in July already booked.
    Not sure how much of this was because it is around the long holiday weekend, or if summer is always like that.

6. mtnbkndude

mtnbkndude Member

The parks in OR fill up fast for summer camping. The weekends are almost impossible to get if you don't reserve 9 months out. I will look up Custer CG and make a reminder to make reservations next fall/winter.

2002 Coleman Utah
    2012 Toyota Sienna

7. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

I too, am looking/planning for Rushmore. Hoping to stay near near Rushmore, drive to Wounded Knee for a day trip (wife is a History teacher), back to Rushmore, and over to Devil's Tower then home to Colo Springs. We don't shut down school until 2nd week of June so trying to figure out the high volume season in that area. Wish NF/SP put a graphic on their websites for planning purposes of camper volume each week.

8. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

It always books up quickly up there. We went a couple of years ago and I booked everything at the beginning of January. Everywhere we stayed (Wall, SD, Custer SP and Devils Tower KOA were full. The only thing in June is that the Oglalla Sioux Native Americans hold their sacred rituals at Devils Tower and the Park Service asks you to be respectful of the people and their offerings during that month.

[​IMG]

9. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping New Member

We stayed in Custer SP... check your routes when in the park as they have some really small tunnels (with some restrictions). It is a beautiful area!

10. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

If you want fancy and stay closer to Mt Rushmore, I stayed at Mount Rushmore KOA at pulmer gulch. This is a resort style camping. The campground filled with fun playground, waterpark and horse riding activities. It's only 5 mins from the entrace of Mt. Rushmore.

11. moonpost

moonpost New Member

We can vouch for Horse Thief Campground after spending the last week there (July 2017). It was way better than I hoped and we would highly recommend it. The kids loved the 2 playground areas, the pool, Jeffrey the cat, the fire rings at each site, and the ice cream treats at the office/lodge. I loved the natural surroundings, the shady trees, the easy access, the friendly owners, the quiet, and the perfect location. It may be more expensive per night than others, but the always hot showers, clean bathrooms, pool, and location more than made up for it (and it most certainly isn't just a parking lot next to a highway!! this place is great).

12. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

We LOVED the gamelodge campground in Custer state park.

13. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member