South Fork State Recreation Area

Discussion in 'Nevada' started by Unstable_Tripod, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This SRA is about 15 miles south of Elko, NV and is operated by the Nevada State Park system. It centers on a reservoir which is used for swimming, boating and fishing. There is a formal CG with 25 sites on the north side of the lake and a less developed camping area with 23 sites on the south side. The campground on the north side is located just off the north park access road. Sites there have a cement slab with a table, shade ramada, fire ring and elevated grill. The roads and pads are gravel and very close to level. The CG has trash collection, flush toilets, coin-operated showers and water spigots around the loop. It also has a dump station near the ranger's office.

The CG has a hill in the middle (restroom on top) with some campsites on the water and others around the other side of the hill away from the water. We chose the side away from the water because the sites were all empty. The shoreline sites were nearly full and close together with no privacy. The sites on the other side were a bit farther apart. The landscape is flat desert with sand, sage and scrub grass.

The campground is open from early May to mid-October, depending on weather conditions. All campsites are FCFS and have no hookups. A camping limit of 14 days in a 30-day period is enforced. Quiet hours are 10 PM to 7 AM. Fees are $14 per night. I had to pay the whole amount because this is a Nevada state park, not a federal facility.

Getting there: Take one of the I-80 exits for Elko and get on Idaho Street. It runs generally parallel to the interstate. Turn south on 12th St. and take it to Lamoille Highway (aka NV227). Turn left and follow Lamoille Highway to Jiggs Highway. Turn right and follow that to South Fork. It's about 15 miles from town. If you get to Jiggs you've gone too far. There is a grocery store in the Aspen Center at the corner of the Lamoille and Jiggs Highways if you need provisions.

Since I'm not a fisherman or into water sports I wouldn't use this CG as a destination but it is a very nice place for an overnight in transit to another location. Having showers right there was a big benefit.

Here are two views of our campsite at the north campground in South Fork. The first looks west and the second looks east.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RichN

RichN New Member

Thanks for the review. What month did you camp there? How was the weather? I plan to camp there overnight in mid June on route to California.