Spare tire mount mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by GJReefer, Aug 5, 2011.

1. GJReefer

GJReefer New Member

Hey all, I have a '74 Coleman Brandywine, that I'm nearly finished restoring/rebuilding. I need to get the spare tire mounted somehow, but since I changed all the running gear with new stuff, I went with larger tires, prompting larger rims, and also a different bolt pattern. What it came with from the factory was an 8" wheel running a 4-on-4" bolt pattern.. That's what the spare tire mount on the back of my camper is.. 2 bolts, spaced 4 inches apart... So, that old wheel setup is gone, and replaced with 13" wheels, running a 5-on-4.5" bolt pattern...
    My question is this..

-How can I get my 4-on-4" bolt pattern spare tire mount to work with me new 5-on-4.5" bolt pattern wheels??
    Should I get a friend to weld on a new bolt that's 4.5" from the original bolt? I'm confused about what to do, and I'm gonna need to bring the spare with me after Labor Day, as I'm driving 4 hours to Ocean City, MD... Any advice is helpful.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the obvious difference in tire size.^^
    [​IMG]
    This is the kind of mount I'm talking about.^^ Can anyone help me?

2. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

Thats about all you can do....get the mount bracket modified......or carry the spare in the tow vehicle

3. wanderingpaladin

wanderingpaladin New Member

You could make a plate that has two holes to mount to the existing bracket with bolts to match the new spare

4. oddie121

oddie121 Member

I would see if you can find a square metal plate (if your not conferable with metal, a 1x something wood block will work but i would paint it well to seal it up) that is about the same size as at least 3 holes, that make a triangle pattern, of your spare tire.

Get a good metal drill bit and drill out the four holes that match the current plate. Get 4 flat head bolts that will go through the new plate into the old plate. Get some nylon-nuts (the nuts with the little plastic on the end to lock them into place better) and tighten the nuts from the back side of the original plate to your new bolts.

Hold your tire up to your new plate and pencil in your new tires bolt pattern. Drill those out. Get the same amount of bolts to the holes you drilled with the flat head and Nylon-nuts (you may need some washers to push out the tire from the new plate in case it's hitting the flat bolts). Put the bolts through the back of your new plate ( you may have to take your plate off to put these new bolts on depending on where they lie) and put your new tire on and put the bolts on.

That would be how I would do it and my two [2C]. Good luck!

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I'm for adding a plate. You may have to adjust the position to clear the bumper, etc anyway.

6. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

I would cut one of the old bolts off and have someone re-weld it in the correct place for the new bolt pattern. You only need 2 bolts to hold the tire on the mount.

7. Ramsport59

Ramsport59 New Member

Not sure where your located but I'm in Glen Burnie, MD and I have a 5x4.5 spare mount here you could have. If your local, Shoot me a msg and I can help ya.

Rick

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

How strong is that existing bracket thats on the Pup? Its been mounted there for a lot of years. Is there still something good and solid on the inside holding those bolts on? The new wheel/tire combo is likely heavier and being larger in dia., it will probably vibrate and jiggle more than the original. Maybe something hase to be made or added to the existing one that will go down and bolt onto the bumper for added strength.

The one on the back of my 2002 Rockwood was a littler shakey for my liking, so I added a brace that went down to the frame. It made a world of difference.

(Nice one Rick - we all stick together and help each other out - kudoes to you)

9. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Just put the higher stud through one of your five holes, and let the other stud stick through the big center hub hole, and drill a hole in a simple plate to tighten down over the big hole.

10. UrbanCamper

UrbanCamper New Member

You could one, depending on how handy you are. Go to the local hardware and get a piece of 6" wide 1/16" or 3/32" (that's what I'd estimate the original bracket is made from) sheet metal at whatever length the hardware store has. Remove the old bracket to find what length to cut the piece to with a set of metal sheers. Bend the piece accordingly. Drill holes to accommodate bolts for holding the spare and also for the mounting bolts. Use locknuts to hold the spare tire bolts in place (or weld the bolts in place, depends on your skills/tools). Mount the new bracket onto the camper and attach the spare tire with lug nuts and you should eb good to go.

11. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

I could be wrong, but I don't think those are made from 3/32" sheet metal.

12. UrbanCamper

UrbanCamper New Member

You're probably right on that. It's more likely a steel bracket, but sheet metal is much easier to find on the consumer market. You could use the same plan but beef the sheet metal up to 1/4 or 5/16.

13. GJReefer

GJReefer New Member

All I can say is WOW! You guys really came through for me here, giving me ideas. Where to begin here...

oddie121 - That's a great idea, I might just try the wood method to get me through this trip, but I'd like to make it permanent, as I don't want to fuss with anything on this anymore.

Raycfe - I have plenty of space to fit the new tire and wheel. The new ones are larger in diameter (5-7 inches, I believe) but much smaller in width. Clearing the bumper is not an issue.

jwolfe01 - That's exactly what I'm thinking as a permanent solution to it. The hardest part is going to be getting it lined up so the new bolt is at the perfect spot.

Ramsport59 - That's very generous of you, and thanks for the offer. But I'm located in York, PA. It's a little over an hour's drive to Glen Burnie, so it's not very practical. But thanks again for the offer. [A]

Wrenchgear - The original bracket is very solid. It's actually solid enough for me to stand on it, if I need to. (Don't ask how I know that.) It's bolted through the aluminum shell onto a steel brace inside the back wall of my camper with 4 bolts. Nearly rust-free. (Amazingly) I think the new tire is actually a little lighter, if not the same weight as the original, so I'm hoping I won't get a jiggle. The old one wouldn't move at all when it was on there when I brought it home, so I think I will be ok with modifying the original bracket, but thanks for the advice on checking where it's bolted.

starcrafty - I wish it would be that easy. Since the original bolts are only a half inch closer than what I need, the second bolt doesn't go through the center hub hole. But, nonetheless, that's great advice as well. I agree that my original bracket is thicker than 3/32" sheet metal. It's got to be at least 1/4", maybe even 1/2". It's heavy duty if I can stand on it without bending anything...

UrbanCamper - I don't really want to make a new bracket for it, as mine is solid, as described before. But, that's also great advice. If I didn't already have a solid bracket, I would definitely be taking this idea and running with it. I'm lucky to have a solid steel brace right behind the spare mount.

So....

I think I'm gonna go with my first thought and cut one of the old bolts, drill a hole a 1/2" further out and have a buddy tack weld a new bolt on for me, like Jwolfe01 said.

14. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Wrench, that's a great idea. I upsized from 12" to 13" wheels and my spare now hides my center marker light and I need to lower it a few inches. I'm going to look at how it lines up to just add a plate from the existing mount, similar to the OPs, down to the bumper and then install new bolts. [MOD] [:D] [MOD]

Uhmmm, GJ, how did you find out how strong your spare mount is? [}:)]

15. GJReefer

GJReefer New Member

Ok, fine, you asked for it... When I was putting in interior lights, I didn't realize I had screws that were too long. I screwed them in nice and tight. Weeks later, I had it outside during a nice thunderstorm and discovered lots of water coming in around my light in the rear. Looked outside on the top of the roof and I screwed THROUGH the aluminum skin and out through the roof. So, instead of getting a ladder, I put down the stabilizer jacks in the rear and climbed up on the spare tire mount to silicone the holes. THAT'S how I found out I can stand on it and the mount doesn't budge. Makes me feel like a moron every time I think about it.
    [​IMG]

16. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Well, on the bright side, you DID put the stabs down so you didn't go SPUT.* Jean-Luc would have to put a futuristic brown bag on his head then.

*SPUT = Stupid Pop Up Trick.

17. GJReefer

GJReefer New Member

haha, that's great. Yeah, I didn't want that to happen again. When I bought it, the kid that was showing it to me didn't have the stabs down and walked to the rear. Guess that was his last SPUT.

18. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Something tells me it won't be his last...

19. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

I would cut off existing bolts, get a square piece of 1/4 metal , weld on 2 bolts/lug bolts then weld on to existing bracket. This is a 10 mins job and probably anyone with a welder had a peice of metal kicking around the right size. Buy a couple lug bolts