Spare tire mount.

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Biggs!, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Biggs!

Biggs! New Member

I am looking to build a better spare mount for my Coleman Colorado. Right now I have the spare mounted with a u bolt type mount to the tongue of the trailer. I would, however like to mount it to the rear wall. This will give me ground clearance and allow me to mount a 20lb gas tank to the tongue and still have access to the rear do of my Jeep. I wouldn't mind seeing what some factory mounts or custom mounts look like. Right now I am really not sure if I need to brace the tire to the frame of if It could just be mounted right to the wall. I do drive the pup down unimproved roads and I don't want the tire ripping the back wall off my trailer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nate

2. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Have no idea how a spare mounts to a Coleman Colorado ... what year is it ...?

My '99 Starcraft owner's manual gave instructions for mounting a spare tire carrier. It shows an example of the rear mounted carrier, and, your right, simply mounted to rear wall (what mine was but never had a problem). And then it gives an illustration for the "XL" model, showing an under the frame mount connected to the main frame. You can go to the top of the page where it says "Owner's Manuals" and download the manual which will show the mounts (also maybe for your year Coleman, too).

3. Biggs!

Biggs! New Member

Its a 89 Colorado I have the spare mounted right now with a u-bolt around the tongue.
    here is the mount.
    [​IMG]
    I don't have a picture of it on the trailer. when I bought the trailer it didn't have a provision for the spare. The PO just carried it in the trailer.
    I'm thinking about just buying this mount and putting it on the wall.
    [​IMG]

thanks

Nate