Spiders, Spiders, Spiders!! Only spider posts!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Haybale, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Post up your spider pictures from in the wild!!! Please give location and approximate date!!

October 29, 2016, Fish Creek CG Anza Borrego SP CA [CP]

Attached Files:

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

A naughty phrase slipped from my mouth when I enlarged this photo. [LOL] This is a hard act to follow. I'll add a pic of one of our banana spiders later. They are big and scary looking, and everywhere here this time of year. Even so, not as bad as your little friend!

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have some decent size spiders here (size of half dollar once in a while), but nothing near the size of the pic you posted.... [:O] [:O] [:O]

That just gives me the willies!!!

4. R00

R00 Active Member

Hollister Hills SVRA Mid-October

[​IMG][​IMG]

In my backyard, mid-summer[​IMG]

5. Orchid

I didn't know we had tarantulas in the US. And if these aren't tarantulas, then they are close enough relatives of them to make me lose my mind. I am never traveling to CA. Nope. Just wiped it off my list.

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

You better wipe AZ, TX, NM, UT, CO and even KS off your list too.

[​IMG]

And they even have a new tarantula named after Johnny Cash....
    [​IMG]

And since no one has ever died from a Tarantula bite, in fact, they are very slow moving and really don't bother humans; living in FL I believe you have the Black widow. [:D]

Top five poisonous spiders in the USA.
    1. Brown Recluse (This highly venomous spider is thought to be the most dangerous Recluse Spider. It is found in the USA, from the Atlantic to the Pacific coast, and mainly in the south, in an area with radius of 2000 km measured from the center of Arkansas: south-eastern Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, northern Georgia, southern portions of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa.)
    2. Black Widow (This species occurs throughout North America, from Canada to Mexico, and in the West Indies)
    3. Hobo (They are found in the western USA, from Washington, to Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, northern Utah and Colorado, as well as in southwestern Canada . They commonly live in dry or arid environments. Hobo Spiders are reputed to be quite aggressive and sometimes bite with little provocation. I personally can attest to that fact and they are faster then heck.)
    4. Yellow Sac ( found in homes, throughout the American continent. They build silk retreats in curled leaves or in crevices. Bites usually occur at night when these nocturnal hunters encounter a sleeping human)

And when camping, be careful when you reach your fingers into one of these plastic tire chocks. Never know what will be there, what will bite you, and if you are seriously allergic to a bite cause you never know till it is all over. [:D] And yes, that is a female black widow. Which are about as common in the Moab UT area, as crooked politicians are in Washington DC. [:D]
    [​IMG]

7. Orchid

Done! [A]

I'm not sure we can be friends anymore. [LOL]

In all seriousness, I have found and killed quite a few Black Widow spiders both here in FL and when we lived in WV.

Never head of the Yellow Sac .... until now. [:!]

8. R00

R00 Active Member

Don't kill spiders.

9. Haybale

I've camped probably +125 nights in CA and AZ and only have seen 2 tarantulas, 2 scorpions, and 1 rattler. The chances of seeing them are very slim, other campers in the CG had not ever seen one.

But that means fewer people to bother us out here!!

10. Orchid

I wouldn't kill a tarantula because I'd be too busy running the other way. I kill ever Black Widow I see on my property. Don't let anything poisonous live around my family. [;)]
    Well that's good to know. We do have scorpions here in FL that I've seen more than my share of. Mostly they hang out in the wooden outbuildings.

11. R00

R00 Active Member

One could argue that we humans are the poison, but whatever. We've only wiped out 42% of all known living species on this planet since the industrial revolution.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I didn't get a photo, but we had a very large tarantula wandering through our campsite one night at Zion NP. He kept circling around because some of the campsites there have irrigation ditches on 1-3 sides. (One more reason to not cut through campsites.)
    I've seen them crossing the road in ABQ, but haven't seen them all that often out hiking and camping.
    Haven't seen many scorpions in the wild either, though did come face-to-face with one in our friends' house in Tucson. I have a black light flashlight to look for them in the dark if we're someplace they hang out - they fluoresce nicely. [They have night walks at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum during the summer, and that's one of the things they show.]
    We have a place in our garage that the black widows like to nest. I leave them alone until they get someplace we're likely to encounter them. Any in the house are goners though, if I can catch them. We had one for several months, in the apron of the window next to our bed - every time I'd get close enough to get it, it disappeared underneath the wood. Apparently spiders don't taste very good, since our cats tend to leave them alone, once they've caught one or two. I still prefer to dispatch the black widows.

13. Orchid

Our FL scorpions show up under black light as well. It's creepy to point the black light flashlight into our woods at night. Lots of scorpions and spider eyes!

I don't kill the scorpions because they are just like a bee sting, not really poisonous here. If I ever saw one in the house, I would kill it, but never have.

I think I'd be spraying that crack in the wood with as much insecticide as I could fit in there. [:O]

14. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Can't compete with your tarantulas, Kitphantom. This guy was about 4 inches long and took a liking to our trailer tire at the Turkey Run State Park (Indiana) Spring Rally 2015. I have never seen a bigger spider in my life in person! Seeing as how I HATE spiders, he was not a welcome visitor to the campsite.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I had tarantula crawl on my hand and arm... they are harmless if they are not spooked or angry.

You better cross off Oklahoma.. there's plenty of tarantulas there. I camped in SW area (Altus, Lone Wolf Areas)

16. R00

R00 Active Member

Tarantulas scare me not in the least, they're quite docile

Nor widows, they are more afraid of you (and light) than you are them (There's more widow spiders than just black, btw)

Brown Recluse, and Hobo (Fiddler) spiders scare the bejesus out of me.

Still don't kill them though

17. Haybale

Any more good pictures??

18. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I'll look through my Shutterfly acct this weekend I'm sure I have a few pics. I like taking pics of spiders but I really don't like them. Tarantulas don't bother me for some reason. They're uglier then they are poisonous.
    Roo I've been seeing a lot of Brown widows here (SoCal) lately. Thought it was a recluse at first but we don't have them here.They are more poisonous then the Black but don't have the strength to break human skin so less dangerous.

19. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Haven't seen any tarantulas around in a while but I have seen more tarantula Hawks. I would take tarantulas over tarantula Hawks!