Spook Cave campgound - McGregor Iowa

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by TERBObob, Oct 1, 2014.

1. TERBObob

TERBObob GOT STRESS ? Go camping

[:(!] This is one spot I would NOT recommend unless you can sleep with a canon going off along side you .. why , due to the fact that there are train tracks less than a football field length ( at the furthest point from the tracks to the sites , otherwise , the sites are all closer ) and during the day , there is no train traffic .
    But , at night --- watch out .... not only do they blast their horns , BUT ... the tracks are on a banked turn right there and the squealling / screechy noise coming the wheels as the train rounds the bend ...
    Anyway ... NOT a CG I would recommend at all . The little boat-trip/ride thru the "haunted" cave was a bit better than expected though .
    Otherwise ... when there are no trains , the CG is relatively quiet and is nice.

They have both 30 and 50 amp hookup and aprox 6 cabins for rental . A bit steep on their pricing also ( IMO )

here is a link to their website if interested :
    http://spookcave.com/

And here is a link to GOOGLE earth view sat so you can see the RR tracks right next to the campsites .
    https://maps.google.com/maps?client=opera&rls=en&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&gws_rd=ssl&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&q=13299+Spook+Cave+Rd,+McGregor,+IA+52157&sa=X&ei=vjAsVN3EBNaeyATg6oKIAw&ved=0CBUQ8gEoATAA

Not a pleasant nite of camping .

[smg id=8243 type=preview align=center caption="SPOOK CAVE campgrouond"]

2. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Thanks for the review. The brochure looked good. This was on of the campgrounds we were looking at for next year. A train isn't something I want to listen to all night. I can stay home and listen to them. Thanks for letting us know.

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. I wish more site members would do the same.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The cave itself is a neat little attraction. We went through it a few years ago with our young boys and they really enjoyed it.

We did not camp there but I can see how the tracks would be a problem. We just camped at a different place last weekend where the tracks were much further away, and still I was woken up every hour or two with loud train horns. That's why I often sleep with earplugs in, but I try not to when I don't have to...

5. TERBObob

TERBObob GOT STRESS ? Go camping

Sorry .. didn't know about the picture and the moderator let me know ... so , here it is posted for you to view

[​IMG]