Spotted my OLD camper

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by myride, Mar 13, 2018.

1. RobertCR

RobertCR New Member

Hey, did you ever weigh it? I am trying to get the equivalent to the 2009-2012 Viking/Clipper Express (not the new ones) that was a little 4x6.5 or 4x7 light little box with typical A-shaped vinyl tent, 2 double foldout beds. Only 454lbs!

Anyway, these Sportscraft appear more common and at a more reasonable price. All the ones I see on Craigslist, when I ask and if they reply, it's just a guess of "light, I can pull it" because no one weighed them I guess.

I am willing to cut the weight by removing the lift and fibreglass roof and replacing it with a vinyl top and some tent poles.

Any dry-weight values would be wonderful!

~Robert
    PS I'm a newbie and this is my first post after many years of reading posts on this site.

2. penny

penny Well-Known Member

we have bought and sold so many campers, but I'd still be excited to see one of them. the last trade we did was our 06 fun finder T139, a tiny little thing, for our hopefully last trailer. ;)

the other day I thought I saw it in a parking lot of an RV park, and so circled back and sure enough, it was our latest old trailer. I couldn't believe how small and old it looked. I really wonder who owns it, and why it's stored in the parking lot of an RV park....

I'm afraid to find out, i think.

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen one of my old ones pop up for sale a few times. I don’t know why it would go up for sale, disappear for a few weeks, then reappear. It did that 2 or 3 times. I don’t know if the sales kept falling through or if the guy was using the photos as a scam.

It was one I had gotten for free due to water damage and stripped anything of value, so the photos were very recognizable. I was kind of amazed at the spin the current seller used in the ad. Just reinforces the point “buyer beware”.

4. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Bob, it's winter here so haven't been on much...sorry for the delay. I never weighed it but it defiantly was THEE lightest trailer I've ever owned.....I would hazard a guess it never came close to 500 lbs.

5. penny

penny Well-Known Member

Our last old camper had appeared and disappeared in that spot at the RV park. It makes me think a full timer bought it for shorter, local camping trips. It seems strange..parked in a parking lot for weeks at a time, then gone for a week or so and back again. Ah well, it isn't mine anymore.

6. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I had the opposite experience. I had an old pop up that had seen better days. I did what little I could cosmetically before selling it. The guy o sold it to made quick work of applying a new coating of something to the roof and new wood look flooring. I was happy to see the old girl getting some love! <3

7. Alath-Qul

Alath-Qul New Member

That is awesome!
    I still keep my eyes out for my old orange chevy on the local classifieds....
    It's interesting wondering if people who bought your old stuff still take care of it or if ended up in some junkyard etc.