Spring Opener at French Creek [Mar 18-20]

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by PopUpSteve, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Hmmm.....I have been dragging my feet watching this thread. I am trying to go camping in January and I do not know if DW will let me out for this one. After I came back from my car show last weekend she informed me that when she is up to spending the night away from our 1 year old son, I owe her 2 weeks. I don't know if I want to tack another 2 nights onto that tally :)

2. mknott57

mknott57 Life is Good!!

We are on C6 Fri/Sat

3. BuxCamperette

BuxCamperette New Member

We are on C44. It didn't seem like a lot of availability left. Maybe because of the size of the site we require. We're not a pop-up any more.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

There are still two (2) more electric sites remaining and a bunch of non-electric. If someone needs heat for a non-electric site, I have a Buddy Heater I can loan-out and perhaps others can do the same. Also, contact a member on a neighboring electric site, maybe they are willing to let you share there power hookup.

I also checked with the reservation call center and once all the electric sites are booked, the electric ADA sites may be book even if you do not qualify for the ADA site. At this time there are also two (2) electric ADA site available.

We seem to have quite a few mystery campers. Hopefully they are with us and make themselves known so we'll have an accurate head-count for planning meals and events.

5. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

We took non electric site 22. Heat won't be an issue for us. We have the furnace, always use sleeping bags, & have the option to stay turtled for the wknd, so we should be good.
    However, having to wake up & make coffee in the french press instead of having it already brewed in the coffeemaker, could be another story! Let's just say, I'm not too civil before I've had my coffee. [;)]

As for all the unknown reserved sites, it should be interesting to see. This yr, Doug & I can attest to the fact that the loop was packed on this given wknd. There were 3 separate scout groups & just about every site was occupied by other campers. Of course, the weather was crazy beautiful, like 70 degrees, so I think a lot of those folks were last minute additions.

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I hope to get the gathering site setup on Friday so perhaps you can put you coffee maker there and have it ready for when you wake-up Suzanne. I think Joe has one of those big 3 gallon coffee pots, maybe he will setup it for all the coffee drinker at the rally. I don't drink coffee but love the aroma.

7. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

Welcome Suzanne...we'll warn the [{:)] you're coming... [!]
    Come on...somebody had to say it! [LOL]

8. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

[!] Pop Up Portal Newbies [!]

I know I've seen a number of new folks sign up on www.popupportal.com recently from PA and surrounding areas...
    You don't have to fear "dry camping", which is usually meant to camp without electrical and/or water hook-ups.

Peruse the Power-Site Power/Batteries and Heating / Cooling Systems threads to learn more about how to expand your camping opportunities "off the grid".

At the rally, you'll be in GREAT company to learn the intracacies of your campers battery/electrical and heating systems...one of us Spring Opener "veterans" will surely have had to operate any system or trouble-shoot any problem that might arise.

Something new for this years rally: I'm looking for a VOLUNTEER to show their camper set up for dry camping, particularly to demonstrate propane heating and DC/Battery lighting systems, but also may include operation of propane water heaters and refrigeration systems. If you would like to demo your rig, please PM me!!! Thanks!!!

Learning and sharing our experiences is what Pop Up Portal is all about!!!!

Doug
    (a.k.a. Bummer72)
    Hope to see you there!!!

9. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

Thanks for the generous coffee offers, but I think I'll survive. :) Usually what I do when we dry camp is to make a pot of coffee right before bed & store it in a heavy duty thermos overnight. This way, when I wake up in the morning, I have some drinkable warm coffee to hold me over while I'm brewing some fresh in the french press, usually on my 25 yr old Coleman stove @ my picnic table. Some might think I'm crazy, but we rarely use the stove inside the hybrid. Of course, if it's pouring down rain, I might choose otherwise.

10. mtn_bikers

mtn_bikers Northern NJ

We booked C5, I can't believe we're booking weekends for 2011 already !

11. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

Welcome Joe & Dawn!!! I can't believe we're booking so far ahead either. I didn't even start talking about the first Spring Opener Rally until after Thanksgiving. I'm glad you guys are one of the "unknowns"...hopefully there are some others who will stealth-camp their way like Bruce and Lynn (Banjorules) did that one year!!!

It's not even winter, so I can't say "COME ON SPRING" quite yet, but I'm feelin' it for this rally, if ya know what I mean!!!!

12. 2girls1boy

2girls1boy New Member

Well we are going tomorrow to seal the deal on our ntu hybrid and are now considering coming on down to PA for this rally! Steve and I are itching to get out camping and March is closer than April or May [:D] We are also excited to take our newest little camper out on the road. Hopefully he/she's birthday will be soon!!!

13. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

2girls1boy,
    You're very welcome to join us!!! Come on down and celebrate the beginning of the 2011 camping season and break in your new rig at the same time!!! And, many congratulations on your soon to be little camper [A]

14. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

Hey everyone!!!

I just checked the Campground Reservation system, and I've found that there are a number of a few Electric sites still open.

Sites 1, 45 & 46 are Electric sites that are unreserved.

Sites 39, 40, 41, 42 and 47 are ADA (handicapped accessable) Electric sites that are unreserved, but being held within the reservation system for ADA customers. Once all other sites are reserved, they have always opened them up for non-ADA customers. You might have to call the park directly to get them if you are not an ADA qualified customer.

If you're brave, well prepared or crazy (like me), there are plenty of non-electric sites open throughout the loop.

Cheers!!!

15. moonbayb

moonbayb Member

Hi Steve and the rest of the Portal. We decided to take the plunge and do the Spring Open Rally this year, and just signed up for C38. It will be our second year of PUP ownership, our first rally of any type and our first trip outside of a campground without all of the amenities. We are looking forward to meeting everyone. Bob, Schultz (our big doggie baby) and I are looking forward to meeting everyone.

16. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Hey, that's great, I'm glad you could join us.

17. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

Here's the crowd so far.....looking like another GREAT RALLY!!!

[​IMG]

18. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

mommy2jx3,
    WELCOME!!! We're glad you can join us. Don't worry about being new...everyone is very welcoming and friendly; you'll be sure to have a GREAT time!!! I'll work on the map, and get your name added in a bit. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!!
    Bummer72

19. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

We have site 3

20. ILUVTHEBEACH

ILUVTHEBEACH Suburbs of Philly, PA

Not sure if we will be able to make this one yet. Michael and friend are going to replace the roof on the PU and if that doesn't get done within a reasonable amount of time, I may not have anything to camp in. Once I know for sure we have something I will see what is left. I missed last year's rally but have a lot a fun at past rallys. I highly recommend that if you are reading this thread and are on the fence about going, just book your site and GO! You will meet alot of great people and have a lot of fun. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.