SPUT number 2 - yanked the roof seal off my ABS roof while cranking the PUP up

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by PaulaBrensinger, Oct 14, 2021.

1. PaulaBrensinger

PaulaBrensinger Active Member Silver Supporting Member

I went camping this past weekend - perfect weather, annual camping trip to a State Park where my sister and I have been camping since we were literally babies.

My Coleman Westlake is still a little bit NTM, and it's completely foreign to my sister. She and her husband are diehard tent campers (and I still would be too, but I'm the only fully capable schlepper in my household and I'm so done with that) so Lil Sis does not know anything about what to be aware of when the PUP is being cranked up. I couldn't stop and run around it, because the ratchet wasn't ratcheting and I knew I needed to get it all the way up and then one tiny bit tighter and it would start ratcheting again. Which it did. I know I need to do a wiffletree service on it, but I'd not had time to get into that before this trip was upon me. So Lis Sis was watching to make sure "nothing gets snagged" and she assumed that only meant canvas. And to be honest until this thing happened, I thought so too. THere's a segment of the roof seal that appears to have split - the rubbery part that presses against the lower half of the trailer, was separated from the channel that edges the ABS roof, and previous owner had used some gunky glue sometime in the last 20 years to keep it from getting worse. That glue was now failing, and somewhere up front, the first corner of the seal got caught on something and about 3/4 of the seal peeled itself off the channel attached to the roof. Not a big deal during the camping experience, though it did keep draping itself across the camper door when I was on the inside trying to come out with both hands full.

I've ordered a replacement from Colemanpopupparts.com and now I guess I'll need to get a move on with my ABS repairs - there's hairline cracks that were "filled" with bathtub calk, that are going to be a real picnic to clean out so I can use Lego/Acetone ABS slurry to repair. And then I guess I'll be grabbing some Grizzly Grip to finish it off. I'm glad to say that my interior roof is in great shape and my exterior roof actually is, too. Clean, bright white, and just the two cracked areas, about half way between the ends, on both sides. And just skinny little cracks, no big ugly peeled up messes.

Can I use Grizzly Grip on the entire lower body as well? I'd love to change up the colors on this thing to blend into the woods a little bit better.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Tbh, i wouldn't waste the money on the gg unless you rip off the abs. Once cracking starts it has water under it, and thats the end of the abs, usally. It can take time, but it will not leak. Seal the cracks and be done with it for now, revisit it later. Some just eternabond it. The seal need to be reattaced or as you did replaced. So it depends on the work you want to do now vs later. My abs mek repair looked awsome, and held up perfect for a year, then cracks reformed. So , i would not do it again.

Raycfe likes this.
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Yup, that is why I gave up on the repeating ABS/MEK repair cycle. Fix one crack and two more appear. This is why I used steel siding to cover my ABS roof. Can't hurt steel.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. PaulaBrensinger

Is love to see pictures of that project if you have them!

5. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Two things. when reattaching the weatherstrip be sure the edge of the roof is dry and use 3m super weatherstrip adhesive it comes in yellow or black ...use black it will not show .....
    And spray the edge that rubs on the lower body with a silicone spray to prevent it from sticking and pulling off.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. PaulaBrensinger

My ABS roof is in Great shape except for two medium sized cracks _ one on each side, and a few hairline cracks at the lower edge (see attached pictures.) so I do plan to try to fix those with LEGO/ acetone slurry.
    Should try to save the awning, given what it looks like outside? The track it slides into is cracked, the rivets holding it to The plastic rail edge thing that slides into the track are breaking, and the zipper is rotting from UV exposure. I removed a couple screws designed to keep it from sliding out of the track but I can't slide it. Should I hack it apart and put on a new one next year? I didn't try to set it up this year because it looked sketchy and I wasn't sure I could get it back in its case to get home. It's in The way of attending to the cracks.

Attached Files:

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You may find that an free standing unit be easier to use. I would just remove the awning

PaulaBrensinger and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. PaulaBrensinger

The weatherstrip comes with it's own self adhesive already applied. There's a video showing how to install it. Do you mean I should add additional adhesive?

Good idea on the silicone spray, on the rubber part.

10. PaulaBrensinger

SPUT number 3 happened. I got the weather seal off. Realized now was the correct time to fix those ABS cracks, so I got out the Dremel and cleaned up the edges a bit. Then applied some LEGO slurry. And by then it was below 40° and getting "dark and hungry" so I went in. Left the slurry to harden overnight with the roof cranked up about one foot. It rained all night! Both bedsgot wet and I had to rush off to work and leave it as it was. All day! When I got home I did a Zoom ( and fume) and went to bed because stumbling around in the dark trying to set up in my driveway in the rain wasn't going to get it dry much faster than waiting until morning anyway. Got it set up, plugged in and started the heat at its highest setting, and it's all dry now.

I'll have to wait until the outside is dry to bring it back down to apply the new seal.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

To fix cracks like that, you need to put a layer of fiberglass cloth in between coats of the MEK goo.

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

NO. only if you need to at a later date.

13. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

My awning was in the same condition.
    As a temporary fix, I used zip ties to reattach the cover to the part that slides into the track.
    I added grommets to the cover and I just lace it up using para-shock cord.

I plan to add a new metal track to my steel roof to reattach the awning to the roof, unless I replace with a new awning system instead. I'm still researching alternative systems but I need to select a design that can hold up to extreme weather conditions.

I had the same cracks all around the bottom edge of my ABS roof. Over time, moisture creeped into the weather strip, filling the weather strip with ice dams, creating even more cracks and entry points for moisture. It was a losing battle. It's less of a problem in moderate climates, but where I live, the weather is just too extreme.

PaulaBrensinger and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. PaulaBrensinger

Oh, ouch! That's going to suck rotten eggs, but I hope I can get some years out of it!

15. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Don't give up! Use it. You might discover some way to fix it or improve it over time.
    I was using my popup even with all the nasty cracks. The inner ABS still protects the inside contents.

My first popup was an utter rotting disaster, but that didn't stop the family from having a blast with it. Over time, we made improvements and sold it for three times what we paid for it. This is a good time to make improvements.

16. PaulaBrensinger

The instructional Video wants the adhesive strip to go on the inside of the roof... So I think moisture will get in the channel from the drippage off the outside of the ABS. I'm going to install per the instructions but I'm not all warm and fuzzy, here.

17. PaulaBrensinger

Oh, we're using it. And the outer ABS is only cracked and a little de-laminated at the sides and edges. We don't have huge cracked peeling areas on the top.
    Today I cleaned the edge where the new seal will go. Tomorrow will be warmer and I'll get that seal installed. I'll start making a list of spring improvement projects to do when it has warmed up enough to work on it but not enough to entice me to camp quite yet. And I'm still debating whether I want to make it all new curtains and recover the upholstery. Those tasks are a little more in my wheelhouse than this stuff I've been doing!

18. PaulaBrensinger

Thanks for this advice.it reminded me that I bought some 2" wide fiberglass webbing! I've now done a second layer. I doubt it matters but I didn't use MEK, because I think it's a nastier compound than acetone which will also dissolve LEGO blocks. So now I've done layer 2 with fiberglass and I'm giving it a bit of time before I get on with the roof seal. I hope I can call this done for the season once the seal is on!
    Should I or should I not tip the popup once I settle it in its winter hibernation spot?

19. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Mines tipped slightly to allow moisture to run off

20. PaulaBrensinger

LOL, I read this in the email notification and wondered why you were telling me that... Then saw that I made a typo... I had meant to ask whether people tarped or didn't tarp their PUP!

The top of the ABS ones is slightly curved to have that effect anyway. (Stay tuned for hugely SPUT activity that followed. I'm so fortunate that I didn't destroy my camper right after finishing all the work I described!

Tarkus likes this.