1. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Ok, read the latest post about the sput to DW and she asked me what a sput was. I know it is a screw up. But, what exactly does sput mean?

2. rpm2203

rpm2203 sure - that's fine

you are not the only one who wonder's that! [?]

3. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

Um, Stupid Pop Up Trick.... I think.....

4. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

You think correctly!

5. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

Thanks!

6. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

Here's a SPUT (mind you, I've done the roof lowering with the door still in place). Setting up camp, raised the roof, went to place the door, and my wrist gave way - the door slid into the slot and out to the step - had to get a second person to pull while I used the claw of a hammer to pry the frame away from the door.

7. alyeska95

alyeska95 New Member

I'm a professional SPUTer! I've bent my stabilizer by not remembering to put them up, I've done the door thing...this weekend I was very proud of myself because with a little advice from local auto electric mechanic I replaced the plug on my trailer for the lights. Worked really good for about 50 miles then stopped...hmmmm......wire bundle had been dragging on ground and now was in almost cut into two pieces! OOPS!!!! Thankfully I had used extra black tape to fix plug so was able to do a temp fix till we got to Anchorage.

8. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

When we first got our trailer, one of the stabilisers got bent very badly backing the trailer into the driveway. I didn't bother to check the tire pressure, and towed the triailer across town to get it welded, with virtually no pressure in one of the tires. Thankfully there was no real harm done.
    Since then I have done just about every SPUT in the book while learning to enjoy the newest addition to our driveway.

9. mrtuba9

mrtuba9 New Member

Here's mine (to name a few)....

- Lowered the top with the door in place. Not sure it will ever seat right.
    - Set 'er down on the bumper while giving the DW a good night kiss (rear stab's not down)
    - ALMOST went out on the bed with no bunk supports (WHEW [:O] )
    - Ripped the new canvas TWICE by forcing the bunk in. [:(!]
    - ...more that I probably have suppressed

And that's in just two years. But I still love it!

10. dgg36

dgg36 New Member

Boy have we done some SPUTS...latest one, we were preparing camper for trip to NC Mtns and DH had been working on the brakes, took PUP out for a test drive to make sure brakes were working. We returned home to realize one brake was not working DH repaired this as it was a grounding issue...

We then leveled pup popped it up and started to pack a few items as we had a dead line to meet in the am...when DH asked where is my cell phone in the car I replied, No not their, in the back of the car, No not there, opened pup door no not there, used my phone to call his and lo and behold it was on the roof.......along with the car keys, pup keys and a recently bought diet DPepper!!!!!top came down real fast

ME-64 DW 66 DD 98 DS 05 DD 08
    Dodge Durango 03
    99 Rockwood [PU] [TV]

11. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I have bent my door frame by forcing it and also had the pop up come unhitched while driving-I had taken off the little wheel so it ground down and had to drill new holes to put the wheel on.

12. dplanetta

dplanetta New Member

SPUT: Stupid Pop up Trick

One time, we were all reday to go for the weekend and I forgot to remove the wheel chocks. Dragged it down the driveway, about 75 feet. DW said what's that noise [?:~{]? It worked, tire didn't roll. [:O]

13. mrtuba9

mrtuba9 New Member

For the Diet Dr. Pepper, you better believe it'd come down fast [:D]

14. bobinphx

bobinphx New Member

Not my SPUT, but my father in laws. They owned a very old starcraft that they only took out once a year. The last year that they owned it (15 years ago), when the top was up, one of the calbes broke. FIL put the factory brace on that corner and began to look at how to fix the broken cable. We were 50 miles from the nearest "big" town in Colorado so he figured that he had better fix it himself. He finally got cable out of the post and found that it was rusted almost clean through in about a dozen places. This repair, he figured, would have to wait until we got back to Phoenix. The rest of the 2 week stay was fine and we put the PU top down without issue. The problem was that the broken/rusted cable was now very long and on hanging on the ground. So the FIL wrapped it around the PU rear bumper. When we all got back to PHX, and raised the roof, the FIL forgot about the cable wrapped around the bumper. My Mother in Law was on the crank and it was really hard to turn, so the FIL gave her a hard time about being weak and old, so the MIL put her back into it. Well, the cable may have been rusted, but the bumper was weaker. The bumper bent into a "C" shape, just before it ripped completley off the PU. The roof went up real well after the cable and bumper were off the PU. I dont think they ever got it fixed and sold it that way the next year.

bob in phx

15. dannyoung

dannyoung New Member

Ditto on the lowering the roof with the door in place...tore it right off of my brand new roof. I won't ever make that mistake again.

16. ohpupgang

ohpupgang Member

My first SPUT! I took the family on a trip to an area campground. When we got to the campsite and I was ready to crank the roof up, I noticed that my crank handle was still in the crank. I ask my DD if she place it there, she said no and started to LOL [LOL]. I can't believe it stayed in since we were travelling many bumpy and windy country roads for over a hour. [:O]

17. NismoGriff

NismoGriff New Member

My first SPUT was one that many have done. I had only owned the camper for about a week and was setting it up for the second time in my driveway to show a friend. Cranked it open, pulled out the bunk ends, put in the bunkend stabalizer bars and then climbed into the rear bunk to raise the canvas and PUP WHEELIE and then CRASH back to the ground!!! I forgot to put the corner stabilizers under the camper (mine doesn't have them attached). I was glad nothing happened to the camper and it was funny, but it's not something I ever want to do again [;)]

18. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

First trip with my new to me camper this spring. Old camper had fixed tongue jack that cranked high enough to be out of the way, new one has fold away tongue jack. You guessed it, I forgot to fold it away and got just out of the driveway, pretty embarassing in front of the neighbours.

I take more time now.

James

19. dmaerz

dmaerz New Member

I guess we all have our moments. My Sput was on our first trip! we completely loaded the PUP and finished putting our gear i nthe back of the Jeep - went to close the back door and, low and behold, it does not clear the jack. We had to completely unhitch, just to shut trunck.