Sqealing and beeping...not music to the ears!

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by gketchup, Jul 20, 2013.

1. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Ok so the fan is not making the noise and you seem to be sure the propane detector is not making the noise.

The Elixir converter used in my Jayco has the following feature: "If the power demand (lights, motors, battery charge) exceeds your converter amperage and the voltage drops below 12.5V, the audible alarm will sound. "

You mentioned an old battery. If the converter is trying to charge a totally dead or bad battery, it could cause the condition indicated above. Simply disconnect the battery and see if the alarm goes away.

2. gketchup

gketchup Member

Well bummer! I was really hoping we had it figured out. The battery is disconnected and it's still singing. It's a long continuous high pitched tone. We also haven an Elixer converter.

We really do appreciate all of your patience as we work through this! You all have been amazing with your knowledge! If you need anything sewn, I'm your girl...electricity...well it freaks me out!

3. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Next step, remove the 15A fuses on the converter one by one until the beeping stops. Hopefully you can figure out which one of the circuits is causing the overload.

You don't by chance have the refrigerator set to operate on DC mode?

If all the fuses are out, battery is disconnected and the converter alarm is still active, you probably have a bad converter.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the problem is the battery and the chirping is an alarm telling you this. Go buy a new Group 27 Deep Cycle Marine Trolling motor battery. Should coast you $85- 95 bucks and have at least 90 amp hours storage

5. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

OP said the battery is disconnected and the converter alarm is still on.

6. raspivey

raspivey New Member

7. raspivey

raspivey New Member

From another forum:

"I went throught the same squealing symptons a couple yrs ago with my Elixir converter that came as original equipment with the pup. I actually pursued a warranty replacement on the Elixir and they advised me to try the following to troubleshoot:

>The noise is an alarm from the converter.
    >Disconnect the battery, if the noise stops, the battery is bad (low voltage).
    >If noise continues, start pulling fuses. If the noise stops with a pulled fuse, that DC circuit is bad (shorted).

On mine, neither disconnecting the battery nor pulling fuses stopped the noise. So the mfr told me the converter should be replaced. They were ready to send me a replacement until I told them the 'warranty void if removed' sticker wasn't continuous through the seam on the enclosure. (Don't know how that was possible - I purchased the camper new and have never touched the converter). Anyway - Elixir would not honor the warranty with the broken sticker. I could have replaced the ELX-25 for about $60. But I decided to spend a little more for a WFCO 8735. Installed the WFCO myself and it's worked fine for a couple yrs now. "

8. gketchup

gketchup Member

Okay. We pulled the fuses and after pulling the second fuse, the chirping stopped...and it killed our lights. There is a brown wire attached.

9. raspivey

raspivey New Member

It seems odd to me that the converter would detect a problem on that circuit, but still allow that circuit to run. I would also think that it would blow a fuse before it got to that point. Out of curiosity, are all of the lights running when the noise is going on and have you tried turning them all off and then turning each one on individually? It's possible one of the fixtures is bad, but I'm starting to lean towards a bad board on the converter.

10. gketchup

gketchup Member

We used a variety of lights this past weekend. We have had them all on and also each one individually. Can we get just the board and not the whole converter?

11. raspivey

raspivey New Member

You could get the model and serial number off of yours and call the manufacturer. From what I've come across looking up info on this today, it seems like most peoples opinion of that brand is that it's entry level and of hit and miss reliability. General consensus seems to be replace it with a slightly better converter. I'd call the manufacturer first and see what they say and look at the cost.

12. gketchup

gketchup Member

Thank you so much for your help! We wouldn't have gotten to this point without it! That's why I love the PopUp Portal!

13. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

So... either:
    Something on that circuit is causing an overload, but not a dead short that would cause the fuse to open.
    -or-
    The converter is bad

Just to make sure the problem isn't a true overload before you drop coin on a new converter:
    - Was everything working normally before this recent trip?
    - If so, was anything changed recently like new light bulbs installed? (perhaps the wrong lamps?)
    - Did you check that the refrigerator is not set to DC Mode?

If nothing changed and everything was working normally prior and the fridge is not set to DC, then it would seem that your converter may be on the fritz.

14. gketchup

gketchup Member

Unfortunately after a couple days of troubleshooting, I believe we are in the market for a new converter. [:(] Thankfully, we have a good friend who recently replaced his (just found this out last night) and he is willing to come help us put it in when we get it, so we will be saving a lot of [2C]! Thanks to everyone for all of your help! You are all truly amazing!! :)

15. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

So how has everything turned out? Have you replaced the converter, or still looking for a new one. Don't be freaked out by having to replace it. It will be very simple. People are afraid of electrical things, but they shouldn't be. They do need to respect it, but not be afraid. Think your way through it, and all will be fine. Before you rip the old one out, try and figure out what all the wires are for. Look at them and logically decide which ones go to the lights, fridge, ceiling fan, 110v outlets, more ..... Then mark the wires with masking tape, noting what appliance the wires go to. Then remove the converter, mount the new one in place, and start hooking the wires back up.

16. DaveWo

DaveWo Member

I agree totally with Wrenchgear. In addition, remove all power (ac and dc) to trailer before beginning then swap it out.

17. gketchup

gketchup Member

We got it switched out last night and everything is running great now! We had a friend come and do it for us! He enjoys projects like that and it only cost us a burrito! [:D]. Everyone wins!!