1. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

squirrels in our storage bay. [}:)] we found a place to store our camper for the winter but I have noticed a lot of squirrels around the shed and trees outside. one was even seen in the building. [V] I can't do anything about them except try to catch them. does any one on this board have any baits or repellents. I have seen a device that strobes and supposedly evicts squirrels & rodents, but at $140.00 I don't know if my grand/daughter would leave it plugged in. her shed is diagonal lap siding with a lot of holes. might drive the neighbors mad. [:(!] any suggestions? [MOD]

2. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

This might sound really nuts (punny), but you could paint a wide red line around the camper and across the shed doorway(s) and the squirrels might not come over the lines. Really. I have been battling with squirrels getting into and destroying my bird feeders for quite a few years. They always beat my deterrents. Then DH read something I thought was really weird but did it anyway and it has worked!! No squirrels going up the feeder poles. He said the article said to paint the feeder poles red and it would keep the squirrels from climbing up. I spray painted the poles and have seen only one squirrel only one time up at the feeder, and I think that one jumped across from another pole, but he hasn't been back. Really. No kidding. It's been over 3 weeks since I painted the poles red.

3. ill.plainsman

thanks judy. I'm not going to paint my camper red, sorry. [LOL]

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

you can shoot them until feb 15 in must of the state and they cook up pretty good to.

5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Get a cat....

6. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

For real I did this.... I went and bought some rubber snakes and a blow up python and no more squirrels.. [:)C]

7. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] I meant the floor, but, hey!, this could be a new trend.

8. ill.plainsman

oh, ok; you meant paint the floor. no. [:D] not going to do it. I can't shoot them either, my granddaughters house and garage. out of my city in a town 15 miles away. I have 2 rubber snakes but no Python. guess I will try some mothballs and just hope and pray they don't look under the cover. [PUC]

9. gruss

gruss Active Member

if they're anything like the ones in my yard, they'll just destroy the cover but leave the camper alone.

10. ill.plainsman

That would be ok. Just don't want them in it. It's going to be inside the shed. Cover is just to keep the dust off.

11. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Don't put a lot of faith in mothballs, I placed a bunch of them on the branches of my English walnut tree, and it didn't make any difference. They were just as many of them sitting around on the branches snacking on my walnuts. Every year they just completely strip my tree. I have never got even one.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

[:)O] Squirrel Stew

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

The camp hosts at Cape Blanco SP put LED rope lights on the ground under their TT. We thought it was to make locating the host site easier at night, but they said it keeps out rodents. Might be worth trying if electricity is available.

OR....just get a West Highland Terrier or two.

14. ill.plainsman

Zephyr. I like the idea of the led rope lights. I have some red ones I could use. That would kill 2 posts in one. As far as the red paint around the camper and led wow!

15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would just trap them.

16. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

I store my camper in my detached 2-car garage. There is a louvered gable in the back, and since I took down my purple martin nest (after a squirrel took it over), she has been trying to nest in my garage.

I walked in there once to get a beer, and noticed glass on the floor. I looked up, and noticed the gable completely destroyed, a hole in the screen, and knew that she must have been trying to build another nest in my garage.
    Well, I have too many things in there that are perfect for nesting (camper, hanging canoe, towel bin, etc), so I wasn't going to take this lightly.
    I blocked the back of the gable with 1/2" board. One week later, and she had chewed almost completely through.
    So I tried metal netting. She chewed and chewed on that, but it held up. I got a text from my wife while at work: "the squirrel is chewing and chewing, you better get home and handle this".
    So before I left for work this morning, I waited until she was on the ground (not on the garage, or anywhere where I'd regret it) and administered the hot lead injection. 22lr subsonics are the best repellent on the market.

Thank you Project Appleseed.

17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

like.[size=18pt][/size]
    I do believe this was my reply to the OP

18. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

and you have 13 days left on the season in case her twin showes up!!!!

19. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

After trying owl statues, netting, reflective ribbons and the like I had to apply a very similar solution- compressed CO2 powered- to the flickers that were drilling holes in the end of my house. Now my neighbor wants me to come have a cup of coffee in his back yard, but only if I bring Miss Anschutz........

And this is in the People's Republic of Boulder!

20. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Killing them is the only way to handle squirrels. There is a pvc trap that might work, but you will have to kill them to get them to stop. Google it for a pic.