St. Andrew's or St. Joseph's Pn. SP

Discussion in 'Florida' started by swamphammock, Mar 3, 2014.

1. swamphammock

swamphammock New Member

So, after much reading the reviews and combing through crazy bytes of info on the net, and then bouncing it back and forth among situational reasons, we have tentatively sided on going south for our next thanksgiving trip. I have decided (sort of) to go to either St. Andrew's SP, or St. Joseph's Pn. State Park.

Of those who have been to either or both, or have good info from a reputable source, which one would you suggest and why?

2. swamphammock

swamphammock New Member

Oh, and a large portion of our trip will be fishing and hiking/kayaking..... so please expound on that part.

3. swamphammock

swamphammock New Member

Anybody?........................

4. gooch6509

gooch6509 New Member

St. Joseph is our preference, but you will be happy with either.

We enjoy kayaking a lot in the bay at St. Joseph.

Both beaches are beyond remarkable.

We stay at shady pines CG. Some of the sites are much better than others, with more greenery between sites. Try to stay on the north sites outside of the loop. We enjoy those.

5. swamphammock

swamphammock New Member

Thanks Gooch. What i sit that makes the north sites better for you? We will be in a hybrid, do you think those sites are suitable for one that expands to about 24'?

6. gooch6509

gooch6509 New Member

I think most of the north sites will be fine for you. They back up to open space and a trail. There is ample greenery between most of these sites. Enjoy.

7. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I'm not from Florida, but I found it interesting that your State Parks sound more like Catholic Churches. [:D] Our's seemed to be named after people I've never heard of.

8. ben31popup

ben31popup Take me camping! Annual Average - 28 days

St Andrews would be crazy if near Spring Break or holidays. We like it there. Just bring bug repellent. There are deer everywhere, so there are lots of ticks. St Joe is an interesting place. Many of the sites had swamp right up to the site (and between). The raccoons are VERY talented, so you need to tie closed any coolers. Overall both are nice, just be prepared and it will be enjoyable.

9. swamphammock

swamphammock New Member

Yeah, had my share of run ins with racoons at Jekyll Island Campground here in GA. They actually went in our tent, THAT WAS ZIPPED, and got a backpack with our beef jerky!!!!!

10. champ1fc

champ1fc Member

I've stayed at both. Tent camped. Both facilities are amazing. St Joseph's is a long way around the cape, and very secluded. the campground was almost full but I rarely saw too many people on the beach! St Andrews is awesome, especially the beach. Lots to do in PCB. I plan to head down to St Andrews the week of the 4th, with my NTM PUP! Maybe I'll see you there!