St. Joseph Peninsula State Park

Discussion in 'Florida' started by 1stpopup, Nov 29, 2017.

1. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Spent the week of thanksgiving in site 118 of Shady Pines loop. Nice site and a nice park. Beaches are beautiful, water was clear. Even though it was chilly we enjoyed the beach and even walked at night playing with the ghost crabs. The place was packed but the was not crowded. The site was tight with the length of our pup but plenty wide. Site 119 had a good 8ft buffer but site 117 was right next door, even had a 3-4ft gap in the plants.

Bath house was close as all the sites have a path to the bath house. It was even a easy walk to the other bath house while they were cleaning ours. Bath houses were clean and have been updated some. The valves are backwards on some of the showers but they do have hot water. Washer and dryer are outside the bath house at $2.00 each.

They only have the in-ground fire ring with the flip over grate. Wood is available at the ranger station for $6 a bundle, cash only.

The cell signal is very spotty there, only had one bar most of the time and no signal the rest. They do have wifi at the playground and bait store. The playground area is also a good launch place to kayak out into the bay.

Nothing is close by, it is a 30-45 min drive to get to a store. Piggly Wiggly and Dollar General Market in St Joe, Piggly Wiggly in Apalachicola. Ice is cheaper in St Joe also, Next to the dollar general $2 for 24lbs.

Ask if you need anymore info. We had a good time and enjoyed it.

equest and tzmartin like this.
  2. equest

equest Member

Thanks for your review! I am glad to read your report that commercial is still a long drive away. I grew up camping here with my parents in our old Coleman pop up back in the 1980s. Later, we would camp in the cabins on the bay. My last time there was probably 1993. I worried that commercial development is encroaching close to the park. Development of the peninsula began in the 1980s as I recall, so I am relieved that the park still has a remote feel.

I saw your other post about using the oven for cooking Thanksgiving and your turkey dinner turned out well. :) I am coveting a HW pup and the Centennial you have looks awesome.

1stpopup likes this.
  3. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

1D6309CB-E7CA-4AA4-8A60-6D02E1B1CCCD.jpeg 9ACE83C4-26AD-4505-A514-D5BFF616B2E1.jpeg We stay A week in the summer every year. I love that place.

equest likes this.
  4. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Adding this one to my camping bucket list! Thanks for the reviews. I find out about so many cool new campgrounds from posts here.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Thanks for your review. I've been trying for a while to get a site near the beach for a vacation with the family. Usually already booked up on our dates.

We used to have a townhouse there. Built in the mid 80's. It was remote for my family when i was a kid. I remember roaming those dunes and beaches and never seeing a soul. Great place to go and I miss it a lot. A couple of years ago we rented a house and the development has really gotten dense. It's better than PCB but I still remember the emptiness.

Now we camp on Cumberland Island, GA to get that remote feel. However, you have to pack your stuff in. No trailers on the island...yet.

1stpopup likes this.
  6. Rob Mikell

Rob Mikell New Member

I have been going to this area since high school 1971. I love Cape San Blas/ St Joe park but the wait time is unreal. If you havent found it yet, Indian Pass campground is really nice, right on the water. St Vincents Island is 500 yards across the pass. The last eastern elk and red wolves in existence live here. There is an island shuttle that goes over several times a day or you can simply canoe or kayak over. The gulf side of the island is a 12 mile long,100 yard wide sugar sand beach, completely isolated, no buildings, people. It is very special. Indian Pass Raw Bar is one of THE original raw bars of Florida and looks it. Rather crowded the last several years, its no longer a secret. Appalachicola is 18 miles, some of the best seafood anywhere. Good luck!!

equest likes this.
  7. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

X2 on Indian Pass Raw Bar.

St Vincent Island sounds awesome. Definitely going to check it this year.