Stabilizer dropping while driving

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Doyle, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Doyle

Doyle Member

We packed up early this morning to continue on our journey. Stopped 90 minutes later for a kid pee break and coming back to the car noticed that the two stabilizers on passenger side had slipped down. The front one was about half way to the ground. The back one had been dragging on the road unfortunately and has damaged it fairly badly.

It took all of my strength to raise it. Seems bent out of shape. Also, what was a circular stabilizer pad, is no longer circular. I know there's no real lock on these but really wasn't expecting these to slip down.

This happen to anyone else out there?

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Not sure what type of stabs you have, but happened to one of ours a few years ago. Got out at the rest area and it was about half way down. Cranked it back up and realized that I had not cranked it up all they way to basically lock it in place by making sure it was cranked up tight. That was the only time that ever happened. I make sure when they are cranked up that I make sure they are tight.

3. Doyle

Doyle Member

Yes exactly, I guess maybe they weren't tight up.

Attached Files:

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You have to crank them up very tight. Our previous owner warned us about this and I've still had ours drop a little a few times.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

^ What he said. Just make sure they are cranked up tight. It's amazing what a lot of vibration can do.

6. tsc

tsc Member

Bummer.

The "Sand pad" is easily replaced (the circular pad)--I quickly googled it and it was $28CDN on Amazon Canada for a 4 pack.

If I remember correctly, they were an option or "add on"; so without it, you're not really missing much, unless you need to put the stabilizer on sand/loose surface. A 3" square piece of plywood would work too, just not as visually appealing.

I personally have been very lucky and never had this happen. I tighten it til it's snug then 1/4 turn more.

As to having it real hard to turn, try using white lithium grease and working it in. Hopefully it'll loosen up and be salvageable.

7. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Don't have the screw type, and don't know for sure if it would be practical in this instance but for years if I had a screw that I did not want to jam tight, but did not want to loosen up, (let jack down) I would put a rubber washer, or rubber tube over the threads. Run up against the rubber, vibration is unlikely to cause it to turn...

8. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

Zip ties!

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

a small bungee will work too, I once had one (not the screw type) that would not lock in the up position so I used a bungee to keep it up. Since going dark I have the screw type and as stated they must be screwed up tightly when in the position for travel.

10. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Interesting that the road ground down the sand pad so evenly. Imagine the shower of sparks at night!

You also might need to realign the stab by wacking it gently with a hammer. The road may have bent the mechanism a little.