Stabilizer help on 1995 Viking

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by gypsysoul, Aug 20, 2013.

1. gypsysoul

gypsysoul New Member

Hi all!
    So I'm trying to figure all the ins and outs of my '95 Viking 175 SD. I got underneath it and saw what I confirmed to be stabilizers. By sheer luck I managed to get them down...i don't even know how I did it to be honest and I can't seem to repeat it [?:~{] My friend told me I could find good advice here so I took some pictures hoping someone here could explain how the heck these work!!

Here's one pic:
    [​IMG]

And here's a link to the imgur album for some more angles:http://imgur.com/a/bW914

Thanks for any help/advice you can give :)

2. ric66

ric66 New Member

Yours are just like the ones on my starcraft . they have a spring that locks them in place you pull down then swing up to lock in the up pos pull out and swing down for the down pos. To adjust the height there should be a rod or in my case I use a long screwdriver to put in the hole at the bottom and push down to extend them. it will also help if they are rusty to spray some WD- 40 on them to clean them after using a few times they will get easy to use . [CP]

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

What ric66 said...

Cut at least four, preferably six square 2x6's and keep them handy for use under the stabilizer feet. Pick up two, preferably four wheel chocks. They don't need to cost more then $7-$9 a set either, plastic chocks work just fine. You can thank me later.

Also, when leveling the camper, chock the wheels tightly behind and in front of both tires so it won't move, then unhook it from the TV (Tow Vehicle).

Use the hitch jack to level it from front to back and place a scissor jack directly under the axlr behind the wheel on the low side. Raise the scissor jack to level from side to side. Jack slowly and try to stay out of the way in case the camper shifts and falls off the jack.

BTW, the best places to check for level are under the frame, inside the fridge or on the floor inside the camper.

When it's as close to level as it's going to get, drop the stabs (stabilizers). If you need to, put square 2x6's under the stab feet to spread out the load and prevent them from getting dirty.

Despite what you may see or hear at the CG (campground), it's important to remember that the stabilizers are just that, STABILIZERS! They're not meant to be just as jacks when leveling. Just snug them up enough to prevent the camper from shifting around.

Using the stabs to raise or lower the camper twists the frame and sidewalls usually evident when the door won't fit together or close properly.

When the stabs are set, raise the roof and finish setting up.

If you want to make leveling side to side easier, search for threads about the "BAL leveler". They'll run you about $96-$110 and they're not without their problems but they sure lock the wheel solidly in place.

Also, be sure to consider a popup camper starter kit from Amazon. It'll have a bunch of the stuff you'll end up buying anyway. Search Amazon.com for them. They run about $26-$30.

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

4. ric66

ric66 New Member

Yep just like Dubbya said but my Starcraft manul says not to raise or lower the roof with the stabs down. Damage to the lift system could happen.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Just do it like your manual says to do it. Viking says to level first, then drop the stabs.

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[​IMG]

The hardest part is unhooking them from the frame, but once you get the hang of it ....its not too bad.

7. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

If you do not have the bar for raising them you can buy them at Fleet Farm/Supply.... prob most hardware stores. Make sure you get the one that fits closest to the size of hole in your jacks so it doesn't bend.... The original bar is about 1 foot long (If I remember correctly)... to lessen the bending down to raise and lower them I bought a longer one from Fleet... think 3 feet... was less than $10! To lower the jacks after you are done with them just hit that tab on the front of the jack with the bar and it will release them. I always retracted them fully before swinging them up in to travel position.
    I agree with the others... do what your manual says when it comes to setting them up.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

1/2" steel rod ......

9. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

To get them down from the frame they are spring loaded and held up in place by a notch. You have to pull them straight out from frame past that notch and then swing them down.

10. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I use a half inch ratchet extension (if you don't have one long enough, put a couple together)! [;)]

And I do remember the 1st time I had to get them down! [:(!] Cuss words required! [}:)]