Stabilizer jacks

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by EvilUncleEarnie, Jun 27, 2015.

1. EvilUncleEarnie

EvilUncleEarnie New Member

I braved the 113 degree heat and used a mirror to look under my 1995 Jayco 1207 Pup. There are jacks but they are way up under the thing. I cannot find a place to put the crank to lower them. Anyone familiar with this model please let me know how to lower the jacks.

2. capy235co

capy235co Member

There are two common types of stabilizers. One has a cranking screw type mechanism and the other is a spring loaded type. I am betting this is what you have. You reach under grab it and pull outward to release it to swing down.

Remember these are not to level the pup but rather just to make the pup stable while you walk around inside.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have 4 of the spring loaded type, but I have to bend down, push them toward the middle of the unit to unlock, then pull down and set them, you should also have a rod somewhere that goes in the holes to lock them down, but as stated they are not for leveling but for stabilizing, I also carry 5 8X8" pieces of plywood 4 goes under the stabilizers and 1 under the front jack.

4. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Yep, those spring loaded stabs were one of the reasons I had to give up the RotnPup. Bending over and reaching up was one thing, but to have to dislodge the spring, well it was just too much for my back.

Now I use a drill on my new tt stabs. 20 seconds and all four are down and awaiting the final tweek.

[:D]

5. EvilUncleEarnie

EvilUncleEarnie New Member

Thanks for the replies. I went back through the owners manual I downloaded and found the part about the jacks that I missed the first few times when I read it before.

"4. Now release springloaded, self-storing stabilizer jacks. Base of this jack is welded to frame. Using 1 or both hands, grip jack and push toward center of camper approximately 5/8'. It will require fair amount of effort to release and swing down as in Fig. 4. Now extend the jack "foot" by pushing it to the ground. More tension can be placed on the jack feet by using the long jack handle supplied in each unit. Be sure not to much force is applied to the jack handle; it may cause the holes in the jack legs to expand by breaking out the dividers and cause adjustment problems in the entrance door. One notch should be sufficient. DO NOT place excessive weight on these jacks as they are intended to stabilize, not bear the weight of the camper."

So I am going to have to bring along a mat of some sort so I can crawl under the camper to get the legs down. You cannot reach them kneeling down by the camper. Hmm On second thought, that will give my wife something to do while I set the rest of it up.

6. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Be careful, I pinched my hand in one trying to get it down. I see the new models have crank down which is what all of them should have . That for me is the hardest part of setting up.

7. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

The crank downs on the new ones are junk. The style you have are tried and true and simple, just not user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I was just going to say, make sure she knows after it releases, it's coming DOWN, so keep her hands on it.

You can always get easy scissor ones and have them bolted or welded on. Would save SO much time and effort! [A]

[:D]

9. travisma

travisma New Member

Hit them with WD-40 or PB Blaster and let them soak before trying to drop them.

Once you get them down and loosened up, you should work a little grease into the hinges and slides.