stabilizer/leveler broke

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by sonoma camper, May 22, 2012.

1. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

I have a 1995 Coleman/Fleetwood Sequoia modelcamper. When I was leveling the camper the right rear stabilizer broke. I might have gone too far with it. It was prettymuch verticle when it broke. There is a pin with flatened ends on each side of the "foot" piece. It seems to have pulled the foot piece out from the pins. The holes are now out of round because the the pins pulling through. I'm not sure how it can be fixed (if it can)? A new one would be pretty expensive I think. Maybe have the holes welded and redrilled? If I do this, those flattened pins won't go through (because the pin ends a larger than the holes) so I'm a bit in the dark here. Anyone with a similar model will know what what I mean. Any suggestions will be appreciated. If all else fails, where can I get another?
    The stabilizers have a long screw bar that is cranked up or down depending on if you are cranking up or retracting the foot.

2. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

I can't offer any advice about fixing it but for future reference, it is not recommended to use the stabilizers for leveling.

3. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

4. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

I second this peice of advice, they are meant to steady the Pup only.... not meant to lift it off the ground.

5. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

6. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

Well, I use it to stabilize and by cranking one a little more or less you get it level. This is what the guy I bought it from told me. It has bubble levels in the corner on inside. One for lenght & one for width. I never use them to raise it off the ground. How else would you level it? 4 separate jacks? I guess you wouldn't have to level it if you camped on asphalt type camping grounds, but I usually don't camp that way. Usually on dirt and it needs leveling.

7. papachaz

papachaz New Member

absolutely going to agree with the others. those are to STABILIZE the pup only. they are not meant to be used to level the camper.

i'll suggest canvasreplacements.com or bear creek canvas. they have parts. good luck!

8. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

You back the low side wheels up on pieces of wood, on lynx blocks, or a BAL lever. That is the proper way to level.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

10. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

11. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

yes. just the piecr the foot pad is on.
    Thanks guys for all your input!!

12. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

Yes this is exactly it! thanks. Might just buy a new one instead of trying to fix mine. $60 for two + shipping is not bad

13. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Good luck with the replacement.

As has been said, don't level the pup with those stabilizer jacks. You're right - that's why it broke. It also puts just enough twist in the frame to put the lift system in a bind, it can make the bunks harder to push in and pull out, and can make the door not fit or close right - among other problems. Level from side to side with something under the low side tire or a BAL lift, and level front to rear with the tongue jack. Also, on a Coleman/Fleetwood pup, raise the roof BEFORE you put the stabilizers down to keep the lift system from binding up. Put the stabilizers back up before you crank the roof back down for the same reason.

The stabilizer jacks are there to do just that - stabilize the pup while you move around inside it. They should be snugged down to the ground just enough to keep the trailer from rocking and rolling while you're inside it. I know all of this because I did the very same thing, and fought a host of other problems that were caused by trying to level the trailer with the stabs.

Good luck!

14. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

To bad your not in Wisconsin. I have 1 broke stabilizer and haven't bought one because it's the one closest to the tongue jack. Trailer still stabilizes fine but it would be nice to have 4 again, just can't bring myself to buy two.

15. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

16. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

X2.....Had the same thoughts initially...thought the stabs were to level. Had a bear of a time the first time trying to do it, so thought something I was doing must be wrong. I actually talked to another buddy of mine (didn't think to get on the portal at the time) who has a p'up and he had a good chuckle and told me I was going to break something.....either on the p'up or a limb. He brought his BAL Leveler over; soon after I became a proud owner of a BAL Leveler. Lynx Blocks or wood scraps are your less spendy alternatives. Had I read my owners manual carefully, I would not have made this error to begin with, but in my case; no harm no foul. I too am generally camped out in the boonies and I've had my BAL Leveler at max to level side to side.

17. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

18. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

thanks to everyone for their imput. I will level it properly from now on! I think I repaired my stab. I'll put it back on and try it. If I don't think it will hold I'll buy a set. I wonder why they don't sell just one? This forum is the best!