Stabilizer pads

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Heelbilly, Jan 26, 2021.

1. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I could probably take a a Lynx Cap and mill the pocket into for you. If you'd like, measure that foot pad and let me know what size it is. I'll mill it about 1/8" deep, that's just deep enough that the pad won't pop out with pressure on it, but not so deep as to effect the structural strength of the Lynx Cap.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have a aluminum jack stand sort of that the tube goes into for the toung jack. Adds height and has a decent base. It is bigger then a lynex leveler. It is pretty secure without adding anything else under it. Way bigger foot print then the smaller flat one.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Thanks. Let me find out how thick the pad is and if it milled out. After think about this over the last few days, perhaps a better way to do this would be to put blocks on the top of the Lynx Cap to prevent the slippage of the stabilizer/tongue pad.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

They do.. the chock r' dock ...
    https://trilynx.com/collections/tri-lynx-products/products/lynx-chock-r-dock?variant=31841396785194

kitphantom likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My stabs have 4" round pads on them. I rarely use anything under them. I do keep a few lengths of 5/4" decking board and 2 x 6 in the TT in case I need them, though.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

So do mine and I always use at least 1 Lynx Leveler under them and had as many as 10 ..

7. xxxapache

Is your trailer riding on leaf spring axles? Leaf spring trailers seem to sit much higher than my torsion axle TT. I often seen leaf spring trailers with 6" or more of blocking under the stabs.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

For us, we had a higher popup (Coleman Cobalt) and our TT is raised a bit (4-5") from the the too-low level as it was originally designed. We use 5 blocks+ cap under the tongue jack, less cranking for us,and the jack isn't extended to the max that way. (We did not replace the tongue jack when the second lift was added). Depending on the slop of the land, we use 1-5 under each stab. Unless it's really hard pack or concrete, we use one block/cap under stabs, just to spread out the weight; it seems to help. We've encountered a couple of places with asphalt that required the big RVs to use pads, so we figure it's good for us too. In our sloped driveway, we use 5 under the downhill stabs, just 1-2 under the uphill ones (depends on just where the trailer is parked, since the dirt next to the driveway is almost a block depth lower than the concrete.)

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That's for a WHEEL on the tongue jack, not a pad.

10. Sjm9911

This is what i use, 20210128_144816.jpg
    Never had a problem with it, it only has wood under it so it dosen't sink in the asphalt.

hardheadedwoman and sherpa like this.
  11. Sjm9911

And for the life of me i can not find another one like it. It was given to me and is aluminum. I see plastic ones but not aluminum.

hardheadedwoman likes this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

My pup has a torsion axle, on the one hand it is lower profile, and easier to step into. Sometimes my step isn't even needed. On the other hand, if the site has a bad enough slope you can't lower the rear stabs since they swing down and out. I rarely use more than one bag of Lynx, but they do some in handy for leveling the camp kitchen too.

13. xxxapache

My stabs just crank down. When up, they higher than the lowest point on the belly.

20210128_175003.jpg

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wish I had those. Mine are the folding kind that pull out, swing down and use a ratchet mechanism to snug them up.

Similar to this:

20150114_115648[1].jpg

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Remove the pad the post will then sit in the groove.. or use a 6x6x6 wood block with the pad..

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yes has lead spring but drop spindles on it, I only have about 8 inches of ground clearance under the spring perches.. and axles sit on top of the springs.

17. sherpa

sherpa New Member

I cut up a pressure treated 2x8 i had into 5 pads: one for each corner and one to go under a donut chock under the front wheel. I use them all the time to distribute the pressure on the ground. I'm never on pavement or rock and I figure it will compress less.

They weigh a bit, but are cheap. After looking at answers here I may be attaching a rope loop to make handling easier.

18. RichRL

RichRL New Member

We have used plastic cutting boards from Walmart with good success and the price was right.

xxxapache likes this.
  19. Ed Betty

Ed Betty New Member

2X6X8, when camping in a non park situation they cover many issues that make setup more secure (sand, holes, not level terrain). Cheap and easily replaced,
    n

20. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

2 x 8's cut into squares. I keep 6-8 of them and could always burn them if I needed to.