stabilizers and raising the roof.

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
some lift system are incorporated into the frame and folks use the stabs to much and cause warranty issues and one PUC maker changed their setup order to avoid warranty issues. They even stiffened the sides of their wiffle tree frame at one point.

IMO the main frame members are strong but the cross members and perimeter fame is weak.

4campers+g-kids

Jan 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Most use the stabilizers as a leveling system, which bends the frame. With the frame at an angle the lift posts can jam. Always level the camper before raising the roof. Use blocks of wood, Lynx Blocks or a BAL for side to side, and the hitch jack for front to back. A good level is needed, eyeballing it will never get it level. Stabilizers should be used only as support, not to raise the camper, and should only be snugged to the ground.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
For the 2010 Coleman we had, the order was stabs down, after the roof was up; stabs up/roof down. This was to allow the frame, or anything else on the pup, to flex or settle a bit. Not that there was enough settling to be visible, but we could hear things making a tiny noise at times as we raised the roof or finished the stabs (we cranked them almost down before raising the roof, to avoid wheelies if anyone stepped in the pup early).

Harvardroger

If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!
Sep 5, 2011
I have found that raising the roof and installing the door and extending the beds works better before lowering the stabilisers.

This gives the PUP a bit of flex, then the stabilisers firm everything up.

YMMV

R00

Super Active Member
Aug 10, 2014
Anything with lift springs will twist itself to death if the frame is out of square vertically or horizontally when you try to lift it. Ask how I know. Better yet, look...

2015-02-15%25252015.03.06.jpg

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
The original question here was if the stabs should be up or down before raising the roof. I think a little too much thought goes into this. This question comes around every year or so. I level everything perfectly, then put the stabs down, check level again to make sure I didn't put too much pressure on the stabs, and then raise the roof. That way everything is good and solid before the roof goes up. Is there a proper order, or 'right' way to do this? That is the age old question. Here are 2 different videos put out by Rockwood. The first video says - top up/stabs down (Thats at about the 1min 10 sec mark of the video). The second video says - stabs down/top up (again at the 1 min 10 second mark). You be the judge as to how you want to do it, I don't think it really matters a whole lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK42slXVtEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbi_unM-sAA

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
Wrenchgear said:
The original question here was if the stabs should be up or down before raising the roof. I think a little too much thought goes into this. This question comes around every year or so. I level everything perfectly, then put the stabs down, check level again to make sure I didn't put too much pressure on the stabs, and then raise the roof. That way everything is good and solid before the roof goes up. Is there a proper order, or 'right' way to do this? That is the age old question. Here are 2 different videos put out by Rockwood. The first video says - top up/stabs down (Thats at about the 1min 10 sec mark of the video). The second video says - stabs down/top up (again at the 1 min 10 second mark). You be the judge as to how you want to do it, I don't think it really matters a whole lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK42slXVtEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbi_unM-sAA

I agree. Especially if you have a Goshen lift system. I don't think that it would make a difference if the camper was level, sideways or in zero gravity.

paw

Jul 4, 2015
All the Coleman literature and videos show raise the roof 1st and then lower the stabilizers.

niagarafam

Super Active Member
Jan 25, 2014
Going up, we level, raise roof, and then stabilize. Going down, we destabilize, lower roof, de-level to hitch.
It is what the manual specifies, and it makes total sense. It is important to allow the frame to flex and settle. If the stabilizers are firmly engaged, there can be tension in the frame that impacts the roof's operation. When we first got our Niagara, we did not follow these steps; we had two occasions where the roof would not go all the way up and another where it would not come all the way down because of the tension on the frame. The lift cables are sensitive to frame tension.

That is our story, and we are sticking to it. It was a bit unnerving each time this happened. We will never knowingly break the order again. Fortunately, no damage was done to the frame or the lift system because we work methodically which allows us to catch ourselves before going too far with an error. But you could tweak or fray a cable, tweak the frame, or tweak the lift "shaft" material with enough tension or tension held for too long.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
4campers+g-kids said:
When we bought our pup we were told to level, drop stabilizers, raise (or lower) roof. I really think the level part is most important.

From what I read here and other threads in the past... it's evidently important on Coleman campers for the stabs to be up when raising and lowering the roof. On Goshen-lift campers, they should be down when moving the roof (if it even matters).

tiggrr27

I'd Rather Be Camping
Sep 4, 2015
I made the mistake of not having stabilizers set before pulling the beds out. The result was a situation very similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZovGjBPxU

My camper is a 1969 Nimrod Camelot Deluxe and it has a completely different, even patented, spring-type lift system. The 4 lift arms are pointed inward when the roof is lowered and pointed outward later with the help of a huge spring at the base. Now after the big bang, the support braces are so bent. So are the metal brackets that the lift arms used to fit into. *sigh*

I recommend setting the stabilizers first, then the beds (which in my Nimrod's case lift the roof).

Happy Trails!

Halford

Super Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
Basically it does not matter what other companies say, what does yours say? Follow the manual. My first Coleman says to put stabilizer down before raising the roof. Now my present Coleman says raise the roof before put stabilzer down.