stabilizers down before or after popping up

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by jmkay1, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Hello fellow campers. After a whole year I finally got the manual for my camper. I have an old '91 jayco 1006. Anyway the manual mentioned to put the stabilizers down after popping everything up as the last step. I've always put the stabilizers down right after leveling but before popping up. What does everyone else do? Does everyone know why you would want the stabilizers down last? Thanks in advance this site has been extremely helpful.

2. cannibal

cannibal New Member

I would guess so that the chassis isn't flexing and keeping everything aligned properly while in motion of raising the roof.
    I put the stabilizers down first, but I have an older pup that has pivoting arms on the outside of the box. I'd go with what the instructions say.

3. drewnkat

drewnkat New Member

The general rule of thumb is UP-DOWN-UP-DOWN.

Pop UP the roof of the camper before you put the
    stabilizers DOWN.
    Put UP the stabilizers before you crank
    the roof DOWN.

From what I understand, when the arms are being moved up or down, the box needs to be able to flex with it, so the pulley/lifter system does not get damaged/out of alignment. Having the stabilizers down during pop-up/down can cause the lifter or pulley system to malfunction. I never felt much like risking it, since we had to fix a busted pulley on our old Coleman and we didn't care to repeat the experience!

4. EV2

EV2 Member

To each his own for obvious logical reasons but I prefer a best practice that covers all possibilities. I have copied here from a prior post for anyone that is looking for a workable method.

It is actually a very good practice to lower the stabs to just touch the ground with no weight or pressure when unhooking and leveling. The practice totally eliminates the possibility of a wheelie if someone enters as the top goes up. With no weight or pressure, there is no effect on raising. Then, later, when convenient, you can load the stabs with whatever weight is needed to properly stabilize the pup to eliminate shake or movement, but if forgotten, no harm.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

My Rockwood manual states to put the stabilizers down before popping up. My procedure is to level front to back, side to side with the BAL, put the stabilizers down and then pop up.

6. Grandpa Hiker

Grandpa Hiker Member

X 2 what MilleHigh said.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Yes...rear ones partially down until top is up. I had that happen only ONCE, popped the top up in the driveway for spring cleaning, DW went in trailer unknown to me and promptly walked to the back....and of course set the tongue down in the driveway. No harm done, but good reminder not to assume "no one" will go in the trailer until it's ready..

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Do what the manual for your trailer says.

Different brands have different instructions. Coleman/Fleetwood said to raise roof and pull beds before putting stabs down and then to raise the stabs before pushing the beds in and lowering the roof. That was to protect the lift system and frame. Other brands have different ideas.

9. mandinga

mandinga Member

My 2004 Jayco Qwest Baja manual says to lower Stabilizers before Raising the roof.

I would want my stableizers down anyways before I start yanking and pulling on parts of the trailer.

-Chris

10. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

down, up, down, up [8D]

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

On our Palomino it was up, down, up, down ... Each is different, and I have even seen where the manufacture has changed things from one year to another..

12. EV2

EV2 Member

I have a Fleetwood, but it does not affect the lift system or frame if the stabs are almost touching the ground and prevents a wheelie. In other words, no effect unless someone enters and moves to the back before setup is complete. Never had a wheelie and never will, making a safer operation and will work on all models as none require a load on the stabs before raising or lowering the roof.

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would go inside before the PUP was set up. Level, raise roof, pull out beds, lower and set stabs, fold down step, go inside and insert shepard poles, then set door.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have often thought the same thing ...

15. EV2

EV2 Member

Several possibilities if more than a single person setting up. For example, top is cranked up and beds are being pulled out. Helper decides that insects are bad and wants to get the door dropped in place ASAP. If you set up alone it probably does not matter unless something unusual happens inside and you enter to correct. I do not wish to change anyone's method, just providing a workable practice for OP without any need to find or consult a manual.

16. Tomandfar

Tomandfar New Member

Our rockwood manual says lower stabilizers first. Our Coleman bayside manuel said lower stabilizers last. I guess it depends on the manufacturer.

Great thread, I was confused also!

Farley &Tom

17. Grandpa Hiker

Grandpa Hiker Member

A politician trying to satisfy everybody would say .... lower 2 stabs, raise the roof half way, lower the other 2 stabs & finish raising the roof!!! [:D] [:D]

18. drewnkat

drewnkat New Member

I hadn't thought of the possibility of lowering the stabilizers partway, but there is a sound concept behind it!

I agree, whatever the manual for each camper says should be the "final answer."

19. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

There is a separate stabilizers forum here where this question has been asked several times.

Good luck.

20. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Ill say this much. I recently boondocked at a very unlevel spot on a hog hunting expedition. I put the stabs down first, the raised the roof, not with my hands tho [:D] however I usually lower the roof before putting up the stabs. This time for whatever reason when packi ng up the stabs came up first, then down with the roof. My frame was tweaked so much that the roof almost didn't want to latch. It was catching on the rear side of the half door and I had to put the BAL back under and relevel beforeIit would close properly.

Thinking about it after...if I want the pup level when raising, why would I want it unlevel when lowering?? Albeit this may not apply to every spot because some places are fairly level anyways, but it doesn't hurt to get into the habit of doing the stabs first and last when leaving to make it a routine. I know I won't make that mistake again.