stabilizers down before or after popping up

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by jmkay1, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

I think most MFG's are trying to Cover Their butts. If you are one of many (wrong way) who use the stabs to level the pup, you could be putting undo stress on the frame, so when the roof goes up, it could get jammed up in a twisted alignment. So to Cover their warranty, they want the roof up first, then put the stabs down, and reverse when closing up. [RTM]

I noticed that when I do it that way (roof up, then stabs down) my door fits better.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Leveling and stabilizing are different. One levels before doing anything else when setting up. I level side-to-side and get my wheel chocks in place before I unhitch the trailer. After unhitching I level front-to-back. When tearing down "unleveling" is the very last thing that would be done. Stabilizers play no part in leveling.

3. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

I set the stabilizers on the right side fully to the ground, pop up the camper, then set the front left, open the beds, hook up water and power, then drop the remaining stabilizer only half way. I then open the awning, and drop the remaining stabilizer to the ground.

We then lift both the left side stabilizers to set the patio mat under them, then drop the left again.
    LOL

We drop all four first, if the top is going up, someone may step in it and tip the camper to one side.

That's what the dealer suggested.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I like the camper level and solid before I lift it and while I lower it.

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Here now... I'm going to throw the wrench into the cookie jar.

I was sitting here on a cold snowy Sunday morning, getting ready to start making brunch for all family members, and started looking at you-tube videos about Pup mods.
    One video led to another, and I see one that says "Rockwood setup". So I watch it for fun, and because I have a Rockwood. It was professional video made and putout by Rockwood. It said 'roof up, stabs down'. I thought, "Ok, good"
    So couple of mins. later, I see a different video, also made and putout by Rockwood. This video was a couple of mins longer than the first one I watched, so I knew it would be a different one. I thought I'd check it out as well. This one said the opposite. "stabs down, roof up".

What gives? I guess Rockwood IS really trying to cover their butts. If you have problems doing it one way, they will say it was wrong. If you do it the other way, they will say it is also wrong. Hmmmm.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK42slXVtEg (roof up, stabs down in this one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQRlhD6AE7k (stabs down, roof up in this one)

6. tombiasi

Many times the original manual doesn't reflect what the company has learned over the years, perhaps the videos reflect that also. I prefer the pup to be level and solid before raising the roof and the same coming down.

7. Abejita76

Abejita76 New Member

I just checked out the videos, and they were made 9 years apart.
    If my sleuthing is correct, Rockwood was founded in 1972, meaning the first video was put out in ~1999 and the second in ~2008 (using the, "For over 27/36 years, Rockwood has grown..." intro lines). Since we have a 1998 Rockwood, on the off chance there was some sort of change between these years, we're going to follow the first one's instructions (knowing full well it may still be "wrong" but we're newbies and have nothing else to go on). [:D]

Thanks for finding these!

8. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Oh boy...this topic has been hammered out a hundred times! And no one agrees! We have people from novice to expert that all agree the other way is right. All supported by the manuals. (It is crazy!)

From a mechanics point of view, and a safety issues, I'd say stabs down and secure and make solid the lifting frame before raising roof. I cannot see how allowing the frame to tweak can be good for the cables and pulleys running through it. And how can it not tweaking (not to be confused with twerking) be bad for the lift system? Maybe it will make the stabs too tight after lifting if they go down first?

So confusing....no wonder this topic will not die!!!

For the recored, from what I know about metal fatigue i lower and stabilize my rig before i pop. It just seams safer to me.

FL Bill

9. tombiasi

I'm with you FL_Bill,
    Level and solid going up and coming down.

10. kate2gary

kate2gary New Member

Trying to figure out forum, where to post, etc. so giving it a go here. We took our newly acquired, used, Coleman Niagra out this week for our first family outing. We arrived at Hunting Island, SC with a steady downpour. My first mistake, I was anxious to set up and did not give the rain a chance to move through. Well we got soaked, wife took brunt of frustration, sorry ... But just when things were going better we realized our slide out would not extend given the power pole location. Back into the rain, pop up down, hitched, and moved 2 feet. Second attempt, still pouring and ankle deep water. Pop up up, beds extended, etc. and all finally seeming to go our way. Not 5 minutes later the trailer seems to be off kilter, and then the clunk as the trailer fell to its tongue. The front two stabilizer jacks failed, and one broke completely the other bent. I blame myself, but thank goodness I brought along the 20T jack, which I used to get the tongue off the ground. What I don't know is whether I made a mistake or not, likely I did. The tongue jack was in its stow/tow position. I think I may have dropped stabilizer jacks, and at some point stowed the tongue jack, and presume that was my critical error. Can some of the pros here chime in and provide this novice advice, does the tongue jack always stay down and supporting load? I think I know the answer, but would like confirmation. Well notwithstanding the "event" and some very tense moments and benefit of the savior in the form of a 20T hydraulic jack, we had a fun filled Christmas on our first PUP adventure. We learned as we went, and identified things to bring next time ... Waiting on two replacement jacks.

11. R00

R00 Active Member

Yes, the tongue jack stays down anytime you unhitch. Never rely on stabilizers to support the full weight of your trailer!

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just about every pup and most of the light weight TT market use stabilizers, that are only there to help stabilize the trailer and reduce wiggle, like on your Coleman... On larger rigs like 5th wheels or MoHo's you will find leveling stabilizers, these are designed and installed in such a way so that they can support the rigs weight..

13. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl New Member

X2 on the Palomino. Things do NOT go well at all, on our Palomino unless:

Level left/right, first

Down go the stabilizers (and level) front to back.

Then PopUp

When leaving...Down goes the top, first, then un-stabilize

14. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I always pop up first then put the stabilizers down