Stabilizers needed? Noob question

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Barrelpup, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Barrelpup

Barrelpup New Member

Ok, so I'm working on my NTU pup. I've been a bit frustrated this week as it keeps raining for a while and then letting up, or people call me away to do other things. So this time after I cranked it, I forgot to put the stabilizers down. As I sat on the back to put up the canvas pole, the whole thing tipped over. After we stopped moving I got it righted and got us (my two littles were 'working' with me) out. I'm sure it's a rookie mistake but I'm just making sure - that's what stabilizers are for? I thought we weren't supposed to put weight on them? And if that's the case, can I replace mine (fairly easily, I'm just a mom with a little bit of handy skills) with heavier duty ones?

I'm sure this is worth a laugh later, but I'm still a bit shaky. I hate it when things roll out from underneath me. And I need to make sure I look like a pro, as the husband is still a little unconvinced this is better than a tent.

2. link81

link81 New Member

yup. thats what they're there for.

they're not designed to support the whole weight of the camper. so, you don't want to lift the tires off the ground with them. (although my manual says thats how i'm supposed to replace a tire.)

what i do, it level the camper front to back and side to side.
    Raise the roof.

lower the stabs (stabilizers) and give them each one "pump" Just enough to have some pressure on them, but not enough to lift the whole darn thing up.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You were not the first to do a wheelie and I'm pretty sure you wont be the last.
    If you banged back down hard, check the tongue wheel to see if you damaged it.

4. Barrelpup

Barrelpup New Member

We bumped but it wasn't real hard as I didn't race to the front of the trailer, just shifted my weight. Too disorienting to move for me. I'm taking a quick break for the littles naps before I go back out and crank those suckers down again.

Anyone replace them with sturdier versions? Is that a thing?

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I don't see a need, they only steady the camper and take a little weight from the bed load in the back.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

No point, even if you replaced them with leveling jacks they will only be as strong as the weak frame the pup has..

7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

The key is to have them down before you get in the camper (setting up) and take them up after you leave the camper (setting down). They are not designed to lift the camper as noted, but to stabilize it and offer additional frame support points. I would encourage you to have a standard set up and take down procedure written down and practice that procedure until it become reflexive habit. Several threads here on that.

8. travisma

travisma New Member

Also, carry some flat boards to put under the stabilizers for soft ground areas, and look into a BAL Leveler to make your life a lot easier leveling the PUP.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

it rained in California? when? Where?

It hasn't rained in my area for many months.

Can you put your camper and tow vehicle information in your signature so we can help you with accurate information. not all popups are created equal...

10. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Hey Halford! I am in Sacramento and it rained about 10 days ago. Well...more like sprinkle for a few minutes and if you weren't outside you never would have noticed. Barrelpup must live in the mountains.

And Barrelpup (tongue in cheek) tell your husband to get off his butt and help out. Happy wife, happy life. But seriously, my wife did not enjoy tent camping (especially since we have little ones) and so we just didn't go. Now with our PUP we go about 6 to 10 times a year and she loves it. And so I love it. After some practice it is faster and easier to set up, better amenities and WAY MORE COMFORT!!!!! Slightly less versatile ( but again with practice you'll find yourself backing that rig into odd places).

Second point to this post--I too did what you did :)

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Been there, done that!

Just last month, we had 3 of four adults in the back of the PUP and did serious wheelie. [LOL]

12. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

I even proved you can do a wheelie in an A-frame!

A more or les standard set up drill really is a good idea- including nobody behind the axle 'til thr stabs are down!

13. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Confused. In your first post, you said you didn't deploy them, in which case, it's not unusual to have a tip-over. But if you did deploy the stabilizers and they didn't work for some reason (the mud/soft ground?) then that's a different answer.

14. Barrelpup

Barrelpup New Member

I did have them down, but they popped up again. I don't think I had them cranked all the way? It's happened again, but that time I only had one down and it gave out and we did a wheelie. After tax returns I'm hoping one of the improvements we make is new jacks.

15. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

A cheap substitute for built in ones or if there were none from the factory are stack jacks. They work great, but are less convenient to store and set up than ones permanently attached to the frame.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44560-Olympian-Aluminum-Stack/dp/B000760FWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484522349&sr=8-1&keywords=Stack+jacks

You should always use one stabilizer in each of the rear corners anytime it is set up to prevent wheelies. When camping adding the two in the front is a great idea as it really steadies the pup.