Stabilizing order for IDT Lift 2005 Viking

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by wildfire305, Jun 13, 2013.

1. wildfire305

wildfire305 New Member

I know the IDT lift system is fragile. So I want to do everything I can to prolong its life before I have to repair it or replace it with a c & r system or hydraulic. For those of you who do not know the IDT lift does not use ANY cables just springs in tubes. It was only made for two years. Totally self contained and requires no lube. The company was sued out of existence for the failure of their system and warranty claims. Mine has all of the recall work done to it (or the camper was produced after the recall) with the round hole, brake and chain idler, and lift support safety poles.

My Owner's Manual makes no mention of the stabilizers at all. Meaning the MFR doesn't tell the order to put the top up in relation to them. I have 4 attached BAL stabilizers one at each corner. Is top up stabs down for raising and stabs up top down for lowering the correct order for this system? I would like to hear from another Viking owner with the IDT system or anyone familiar with this system.

2. pkwt

pkwt New Member

Hi Wildfire, I'm in a similar situation with a 2005 Coachmen and I don't think I've had the extra clutch added to mine. I'm looking for info on the lift system itself so that I can fabricate the part(s) needed to prevent it form being a problem. Have you found anything yet?

3. wildfire305

wildfire305 New Member

I have been able to find no information about the system. I do find it easier(less friction) to raise my roof with the stabilizers up after 4 trips this year. I lube the telescoping tubes with silicone spray every time I put it down and raise the stabs first. There is apparently a plastic part in the box under the camper that people have said has broken. Usually it will take a spring out with it when it fails. This part can be milled at any machine shop in metal so I've been told. haven't taken apart that box yet to find out. I afraid something might be under tension inside the box and if I open it all the magic will fall out. I'm just planning on leaving it alone until it fails.